• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concern and question about Hk pistols

I'll take a Glock any day over a H&K. My USP 9 had the worst trigger, I considered myself lucky if I could hit standard 50 foot target with that pistol if I was standing right next to it. And my buddies P-30 had numerous FTF and FTE for the first 500 rounds. And though the pistols reliability has improved it's still not 100%.

Don't blame the gun for the shooter's problems :p. I shoot my HnK as well as any other gun except maybe my 1911's, even then it's kinda a tossup.

Yeah as a new HK inductee I think most of the extra cost is from the brand kinda like how Macs are more expensive then their PC counterparts with equivalent specs. If the PPQ was on the stupid approved list i might have went for that option. (I do like the look of the VP9 more though)

I think HK is realizing they need to be more price competitive, thus the Streamlight rebate this summer, and the even better $200 rebate this November.

An HK pistol seems like a much better deal at $750 than $950.

I think HK is realizing they need to be more price competitive, thus the Streamlight rebate this summer, and the even better $200 rebate this November.

An HK pistol seems like a much better deal at $750 than $950.

That is kinda why i went with the VP9. For $712 MSRP compared to the price of P30's and USP's before it, it is not an extreme difference in cost to its competitors for even a newbie like me.

Previously i saw the expensive HK guns and never imagined owning one when there were so many other more affordable options. Like who would have thought about hearing a new in box HK pistol for 650 street price without any special discounts or offers?

I agree completely, I was going to buy a Sig P229 until I picked up a P30... had to have it immediately. Shoots like a dream and is dead accurate. Never a malfunction, and the ergonomics are unbeatable.

I had the exact opposite experience. I rented a HK and a Sig P229 when I was trying to decide on which to buy because I had heard the HKs were like the Apple of pistols. Personally I had no doubt after handling and firing both the Sig was the gun for me. It just felt right and my first shot was almost a dead bullseye. I bought one a week later.

My HK P9s has to be the most accurate 9mm I have ever shot. I like the polygonal barrel vs. standard riffling and assume it has a lot to do with how accurate it is.

HK barrels are built to not go kaboom even if fired with an obstructed barrel. Don't know of anyone else who builds them that strong.

Do they advertise that? I've never seen that anywhere.

The VP9 booklet does say it is made of cannon grade steel, but i don't think any company would say it can survive firing with an obstruction, liability and all that.

Squib loads still are terrifying thought no matter the gun.

Trigger and comfortable grip are my top concerns when I buy a gun. HK pistols aren't exact the pistol I will like, that being said, I would not mind owning one. They are reliable, aren't they?

Do they advertise that? I've never seen that anywhere.

I don't think so, but it was mentioned in Truth About Guns review of the P30.

Regardless of the set-up you chose, the heater comes with H&Ks outstanding 3.86’’ polygonal rifled barrel which is supposed to increase muzzle velocity and barrel life. It also means that not only does H&K cold hammer forge their pistol barrels, but they also design them so that even if completely blocked (say, with dirt, mud, blood or the bullet from one of your friend’s handloads) you can still fire a round without the gun going grenade on you.I personally witnessed a P30 brought back from the firing line with a severe problem. The slide was locked back, and would not move forward. The culprit was a bulged barrel due to a round being fired after a squib became lodged. The pistol was sent back for warranty work, the barrel was replaced, and the owner was quite happy that he still had his shooting hand.

You think other guns wouldn't do that as well? I've got a bulged Colt barrel that I bought from a gunsmith for $5. I use it when I teach safety classes.

You think other guns wouldn't do that as well? I've got a bulged Colt barrel that I bought from a gunsmith for $5. I use it when I teach safety classes.

Colt yes, a Taurus, it might explode. I think with some manufacturers you're rolling the dice.

Just read a post earlier today about a Taurus revolver that exploded. You don't read about HK's exploding.

In other words, you have no evidence to make that assertion.

1) Revolver != semi-auto.

2) What caused the revolver to blow up? Squib != double charge.

3) Any gun can be blown up.

4) There are ton more Glocks sold than HKs. So it is no surprise that you hear about more Glocks blowing up than HKs. Does that mean HKs are stronger than Glocks? No. We don't have any data to make such an assertion. It would take a testing lab and a bunch of guns to prove that one way or the other.

Last edited:
It can happen to ANY gun.
HK
IMG_9474-1.jpg

XD
kaboom_02-tfb.jpg

Ruger
tmp_ruger_lcr_kaboom-tm-tfb.jpg

S&W ?
image002-778446.jpg

Last edited:
In other words, you have no evidence to make that assertion.

1) Revolver != semi-auto.

2) What caused the revolver to blow up? Squib != double charge.

3) Any gun can be blown up.

4) There are ton more Glocks sold than HKs. So it is no surprise that you hear about more Glocks blowing up than HKs. Does that mean HKs are stronger than Glocks? No. We don't have any data to make such an assertion. It would take a testing lab and a bunch of guns to prove that one way or the other.

No, there's no such data I know of, but we do know that HK uses both cold hammer forging and polygonal rifling in their pistols, both methods make for a stronger barrel. Glock and Kahr also use these two methods. I think FN and CZ also.

Last edited:
And you base that on what, exactly?

Because Taurus guns are pure shit, perhaps? [laugh] Although I would think of other things happening with a Taurus before it literally blew up... This is still pretty damned funny, though...

(press "2" for the money shot.... )

[rofl]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm sure there are others that are as strong, that's one reason I like HK.

Doesn't really matter IF/when the rest of the gun blows up in your hand. Even the MK23 can blow up if you try hard enough.

-Mike

Because Taurus guns are pure shit, perhaps? [laugh] Although I would think of other things happening with a Taurus before it literally blew up... This is still pretty damned funny, though...

(press "2" for the money shot.... )

[rofl]

-Mike

Yes, but did the barrel hit the black? [rofl]

From the fireball at the forcing cone, it had to have been a double load, but still no reason for the barrel to go airborne!

Last edited by a moderator:
I owe three H&Ks and love each of them. They feel great in the hand. Love the triggers. Not one fail to fire. Got the new VP30 for under $680, tax included. It is about time that H&K brought the prices down where they need to be to be competitive. Bought my USP 40 and P30 used (on NES) and they are flawless. In my opinion, each was well worth what I paid for them. And they are much better than my S&W and Rugers.

Back
Top Bottom