Concern and question about Hk pistols

I just got my first HK pistol and i have an honest question and concern.

What makes Hks so good? Reviewers always give them high praise, and i rarely hear complaints about them, but no one really states why.

Why the hell does HK use so much grease on their guns out of the factory? Take a look at the pictures below.

IMAG0177.jpgIMAG0182.jpg

What makes Hks so good? Reviewers always give them high praise, and i rarely hear complaints about them, but no one really states why.

My experience with HK pistols always leaves me with a great big "meh." The USPc is a reliable and accurate gun. But the SA trigger is only OK, and the DA trigger is completely awful. The slide stop is generously sized and properly located. The magazine release is ambidextrous (good), but it is in the wrong place (bad). The slide itself is stupidly oversized, resulting in a gun that is much bigger than competitors (e.g., Glock 19/23). The bore axis is way too high, increasing muzzle rise.

Why the hell does HK use so much grease on their guns out of the factory?

It doesn't matter. Clean it off, oil up the gun and you're good to go.

The p30L is finest 9mm i have ever fired.

i love HK designs. I also thought they were overpriced until i owned a few and shot them a bunch....now i drink the HKoolaid

its really a shame only the V3 models made the list cuz the V2 LEM triggers rock. The new VP9 is also fantastic. The HK45 is sick (the compact i feel meh). And the Mark 23 is possibly the sickest .45acp ever designed....whats not to love

The p30L is finest 9mm i have ever fired.

i love HK designs. I also thought they were overpriced until i owned a few and shot them a bunch....now i drink the HKoolaid

its really a shame only the V3 models made the list cuz the V2 LEM triggers rock. The new VP9 is also fantastic. The HK45 is sick (the compact i feel meh). And the Mark 23 is possibly the sickest .45acp ever designed....whats not to love

Love my p30l. I store it in DA. Better than cocked and locked since I don't use the safety much. Will be looking into a vp9 in the future. I can safely say that the p30 (and I expect the vp9 to be as well) is the most ergonomic grip design I've ever felt in a pistol.

Love my p30l. I store it in DA. Better than cocked and locked since I don't use the safety much. Will be looking into a vp9 in the future. I can safely say that the p30 (and I expect the vp9 to be as well) is the most ergonomic grip design I've ever felt in a pistol.

I agree completely, I was going to buy a Sig P229 until I picked up a P30... had to have it immediately. Shoots like a dream and is dead accurate. Never a malfunction, and the ergonomics are unbeatable.

I owned a p30l for a bit and sold it. The only thing I really liked about it was the ergos. Id much rather have a p226 or a g17 for a full size 9. Never mind the whole MA nanny 10rd mags with the p30l.

I love the reliability and ergos but I had a USP compact with the LEM trigger and I didn't really like the trigger that much. That was pretty early in my shooting days though, so maybe I'd have a different opinion now.

My experience with HK pistols always leaves me with a great big "meh." .

The VP9 is the only gun that came close to being meh, but the mag release location kills it. The rest shoot like an expensive hipoint. Except the p7m8, but with the low capacity, it's just a fun range gun.

It really just comes down to marketing and video games. They are like kimber, but they run

The P30S and VP9 are illustrative of finer engineering than, say, a PPQ, though all three are decent guns.

I read Guns & Ammo's review of the PPQ where they visited the factory, it sounds very well engineered. But I agree the HKs feel like quality when you hold them and work the controls.

People complain about the triggers but they strike me as meant for combat and LE rather than for target shooting or competition. A super short trigger like the PPQ is great for the range, but I don't know if I'd want to carry one if I were LE or military. HK seems to use the long trigger pulls as a kind of safety.

Because it's probably the brand least likely to be ****ed up out of the box, or need service; overall they're pretty damned reliable. Also probably the most intrinsically accurate polymer framed handgun, or at least most of their guns are in the top of this class. Beyond that everything else is debatable. (High Bore Axis, overpriced magazines, weird ergos (I point most HKs at the ground for some reason, probably because I've been poisoned by Glocks or something).

Why the hell does HK use so much grease on their guns out of the factory? Take a look at the pictures below.

So that it doesn't rust in transit/shipping/storage. Sig used to do the same thing, not sure if they do it anymore. Some manufs use VCI paper (like S&W) others just slather the gun in oil, others don't seem to care. (Glock). It's basically german paranoia at its finest.

-Mike

Have you shot yours yet? How do you like it? How does it compare to a glock, or other pistols you have?

I have shot it, but it is the first pistol i owned. I think it is going to spoil me with the trigger and how comfortable the grip is. I have shot things like the S&W 686, PX4, etc.

Out of all my guns i think it has the best trigger though. Better than even my savage's accutrigger.

Agree they are expensive, but theyre also excellent quality.

a s&W mag is $40....at least HK mags are excellent construction. Ruger mags are pushing $40 and their springs suck.

View attachment 117662View attachment 117663

What have you read in the reviews? There are not many complaints about them since they are terrific firearms...just like the reviews state. Their trigger (v.3) is not the best for range work...but that is not why HK produces them. Like any product, HK prices them at what people (governments) will pay. Just like NES'ers do on WTS.

You bought a great pistol...wipe off the grease, clean, oil and ENJOY.

They're not built any better than say something like a MecGar mag for a P226 which costs like $20-$25.

-Mike

Maybe they are made with gold dust???

I own 2 USPcs and the P7M8, there is nothing spabout aobut their gen-u-wine mags vs. MecGar (who makes mags for many of the top line gun makers). There is nothing to justify their outrageous prices for mags either other than "we are H&K and you are not!"

Maybe they are made with gold dust???

I own 2 USPcs and the P7M8, there is nothing spabout aobut their gen-u-wine mags vs. MecGar (who makes mags for many of the top line gun makers). There is nothing to justify their outrageous prices for mags either other than "we are H&K and you are not!"

Yeah as a new HK inductee I think most of the extra cost is from the brand kinda like how Macs are more expensive then their PC counterparts with equivalent specs. If the PPQ was on the stupid approved list i might have went for that option. (I do like the look of the VP9 more though)

Having an HK is pretty cool though, it isn't as prevalent as the Glocks, the Sigs, Smiths, and Berettas I see commonly at ranges and it does feel good to not be part of the crowd.

Last edited:
I'll take a Glock any day over a H&K. My USP 9 had the worst trigger, I considered myself lucky if I could hit standard 50 foot target with that pistol if I was standing right next to it. And my buddies P-30 had numerous FTF and FTE for the first 500 rounds. And though the pistols reliability has improved it's still not 100%.

Back
Top Bottom