Conceal Tips

Any tips guys? I want to conceal IWB. The holster I got is a cheapie one for now... it's been about 5 days since I got these, and everytime either my pants are too tight, or my shirt is too short.

I want to conceal a SW m&p compact...seems simple enough, but not for me [frown]

Also, I spend a good amount of time sitting, so if that makes a difference!

Thanks!

(PS I ran a couple searches but nothing really came up)

Tips? This will sound like a broken record but get a quality holster and belt. 90% of your problems will go away with just those two things. The other 10% depends on you. You need to get over mentally that the gun is sticking out and people noticing. See below..

Don't tug at the holster, don't pull at the holster, don't continually touch the holster to make sure it is in position.

2 major tips, get a good belt and get a good holster. I'm still trying to find holster nirvana, but The Belt Man makes AMAZING gun belts. I wear one everyday. As far as clothing, if you want to carry you do need to think about making changes to your wardrobe to ensure that your firearm remains concealed. Maybe go up a pant size, get some looser fitting shirts, etc.

Get a better holster, and belt.. As far as concealing a M&Pc, I can't.. It prints no matter where I wear it, or how.. I can conceal a full size Glock better..

i tend to dress with certain pants and shirts when i conceal. i know it sounds like a broken record but can say enough that a good holster and belt is what makes CCW work. also work to find the spot that works for you. i carry at 3:00, but that might not work for some people.

what exactly makes a belt a "gun belt" ?

Also, where can I get a QUALITY holster?

i guess one that can be worn tight for an extended amount of time without stretching. i have the wilderness belt from 5.11 and it works awesome i wear it everyday. its double layered nylon. pretty cheap too.

Gun belts are typically a little thicker, a little wider, and a little more rigid and stiff to support the weight of the firearm and not roll over or twist. As for holsters, the options are extremely varied. I would say that you should initially decide on the particular style and material you prefer. Then try and narrow down a specific manufacturer from there. It's a process. Someone will surely mention the ubiquitous "drawer full of holsters" at some point in this thread. It's not an exaggeration, though I keep mine in a box, not a drawer [wink].

Last edited:
oh ok...I actually already have very high quality belts that fit the descriptins...so now I need to find a nice holster and meybe lose a few pounds

i wear a Comp-tac MTAC and i do like it...but it goes kind of far down my leg which i dont like. i think a full leather might work better for me in that sense. its all personal preference. try some out if you can get the chance

what exactly makes a belt a "gun belt" ?

Also, where can I get a QUALITY holster?

Weight and durability. A $5.99 belt from K-mart/Walmart are not going to cut it. If its a leather belt it will be made with top grain cowhide, double bullhide, horsehide, or some quality leather since you'll have a good amount of weight riding on it. The belt needs to be stiff enough so that the weight is evenly distributed, otherwise if you carry on the right it will start digging in on your left. A good gun belt will set you back a good amount, which is still cheaper than buying a cheap one every year.

As far as holsters go, you want something in the same lines. Rugged, comfortable and durable. Buying something at the moment that starts to fold its lips, or collapse on itself is just asking for trouble. A good holster should also provide your firearm with a firm platform for retention and trigger guard control.

You'll find 90% of the replies in this thread will tell you to get a good holster. Its the truth. You wouldnt get a Ferrari and put cooking oil in it. :)

Points to and beaten by ochmude.

Whatever holster you get, try it on. My husband carry the same gun with different holsters.. The one that works for him, doesn't work for me. I carry at 2, or 4 o'clock, but I'm a girl, so it's different..

I find that carrying IWB is best accomplished for me by getting as much of the gun below the belt as possible. I find the Uncle Mikes IWB holsters ride to high with my belt crossing the gun at the ejection port instead of the back of the trigger guard. You may find you like the opposite. I like this also because it only leaves the grip at my waistline and leaves less to print. My Ideal spot to carry in is just behind my stong side hip. there is a natural indentation there that is comfortable when walking or sitting and allows for quick acess if needed. Get a good belt and then go out and experiment. I carry a Sigma.

Aside from a quality belt and holster (I recommend Beltman and Milt Sparks, respectively), wearing a darker colored shirt and/or one with a pattern will print less than a light shirt without a pattern.

Any tips guys? I want to conceal IWB. The holster I got is a cheapie one for now... it's been about 5 days since I got these, and everytime either my pants are too tight, or my shirt is too short.

I want to conceal a SW m&p compact...seems simple enough, but not for me [frown]

Also, I spend a good amount of time sitting, so if that makes a difference!

Thanks!

(PS I ran a couple searches but nothing really came up)

MTAC from Comp Tac.

I've plugged this thing a million times on this forum. I don't love that it's kydex and leather, I'd rather have a leather only holster, but I haven't yet found a leather rig that hides fullsize pistol as well as this thing. Fully adjustable cant/rise. I make a sig p229 and m&p40 fullsize disappear under a t-shirt everyday.

You're looking at 80 bucks but it's well worth it. Cheap holsters and belts = poor concealment and comfort. No way around that. I'd recommend no even bothering to carry until you can save up for a little bit and get some decent gear. You'll have a much more positive cc experience that way IMO.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

I haven't been carrying for that long now. The weather was still warm when I started, and that was tough. The first thing I got was a good IWB holster (Comp-Tac C-TAC holster). I have a little weight on me, and everyone had told me to carry a little behind 3 o'clock. But the bottom on the grip/magazine printed like crazy when I did that. So I carry right at 3 o'clock, with a slight forward cant. I find that carrying like that maximizes concealability and comfort (both while standing and sitting).

The biggest thing that I realized was that some of my smaller or thinner T-shirts wouldn't work for concealment. Most of my jeans are loose on me anyway, so I can easily fit an IWB holster there. It would be difficult/impossible on some of my dress pants though. It's easier to wear a belt when you're not carrying than to barely be able to squeeze your gun into your waistband.

With the cold weather coming I can wear sweatshirts, sweaters, and jackets basically all the time, so that makes concealment easier. I have a shoulder holster that I barely use, since I want to be able to take off my jacket.

I was using a pretty questionable belt when I started carrying, and I thought it was fine. But one day I looked at it and realized that it had warped downwards on the right side, where my gun sits. So I ordered a belt from the belt man, and it actually makes a difference. The belt that I had before wasn't a flimsy POS. It was a 1.5" leather belt. But it's rare to find a quality belt unless you're looking for it.

For about the first week of carrying, I had the hardest time resisting the urge to constantly mess with the holster. Now, I adjust it when I put it on and sometimes when I stand up after sitting, but other than that I just leave it alone. It's not going anywhere.

Some other things that I learned when I started carrying. Use your support side hand to reach for things that are high up in the grocery store, especially if your shirt is a little short. You have to print very seriously in order for anyone to know that you're carrying a gun. A little bump in your shirt doesn't mean "gun." The outline of your whole grip is a different story.

Check out these: http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.htm

I own several and they are the best in Kydex by far!

Depending on how you are built, you may want to consider appendix carry.

If you are built for comfort, not speed, try the Gideon OWB.

Also, if he does not list your gun, contact Dale and see if he can make you one. He is a top notch guy and very accommodating.

<snip>
You have to print very seriously in order for anyone to know that you're carrying a gun. A little bump in your shirt doesn't mean "gun." The outline of your whole grip is a different story.

This is definitely true. Most people in MA don't even know that you can actually legally carry a firearm. A bump in your shirt just won't be interpreted as a gun.

On another note, is the Walmart trip with the nachos still an accepted rite of passage for someone new to ccw? I haven't heard mention of it in awhile.

I carried an MP9c in an MTAC attached to a beltman belt.

Very comfy and disappeared under a long t-shirt. One thing that made a large difference for me was how i wore my jeans. Wear them up around your waste in case you don't already. I used to wear my jeans a little lower which cause the firearm to get pulled against my hip bone and print very badly when I sat down.

I carry a SIG P239 in an MTAC on a mall ninja, er I mean 5.11 leather belt.

I used to carry an M&P in a C-TAC. I liked the C-TAC but the MTAC is more comfortable if you don't wear an undershirt. It's a tad thicker though so that's the trade-off. I carry at 4:00, works with my body shape - 3:00 sticks out too far on me.

Can't say enough, spend the money on the belt and holster - you'll be glad you did. Litterally makes ALL the difference in the world.

Lots of great advice so far, but at the end of the day you will have to figure out what works for you. Especially with the holster. A holster that is absolutely great for one person may not work well for someone else. There is definitely some trial and error involved.

what exactly makes a belt a "gun belt" ? Also, where can I get a QUALITY holster?

The guys have pretty much covered what a gun belt is. If it makes a difference I wear a Wilderness Instructor's gun belt. It's pretty much the standard if you're looking for a non-leather gun belt. I love it.

As for holsters... asking where you can get a quality holster is like asking where you can get a quality car... [smile]... ie: it's not that simple... and everyone's got their own opinions.

Regardless of the brand of holster... you want to make sure the holsters you end up with have the following elements:

1. The holster, whether kydex or leather, must be molded specifically for your gun. This will aid in retention of the firearm. You can run, jump, hang upside down... and the gun is staying in the holster. This is not the case with ballistic nylon "universal" holsters (Uncle Mike's, etc). The last thing you want is for the gun to fall out when you bend over, lie down, etc doing every-day things.

2. If the holster is made of leather, you want the holster to have a reinforced mouth. This keeps the mouth open for one handed re-holstering. If a holster does not have a reinforced mouth, especially with IWB holsters, the mouth will close right up and will be a pain. You do not want to have to fumble around with your holster trying to get your firearm back in.

Everything else is a matter of preference. ie: the cant, how the holster attaches to your belt (standard clips, c-clips, j-clips, closed loops, snap loops, etc), leather vs. kydex, brand, etc.

I prefer kydex to leather for a couple of reasons. Kydex doesn't hold moisture. Kydex is easily cleaned. Kydex can be thinner than leather, giving you a thinner overall profile which leads to better concealment. Kydex can also take more of a beating.

However, there's nothing wrong with leather holsters. Some prefer leather because they feel like it is more comfortable against the skin compared to Kydex. And if you want a holster that looks great too... then you want a leather holster.

Just know that both can and will wear the finish on your gun.

A couple of great Kydex brands are Raven Concealment Systems (RCS) and Comp-tac. RCS has one of, if not the most, concealable OWB holsters out there. I use the Phantom holster and can conceal my G26 or G19 OWB with just a tshirt. Comp-tac makes excellent IWB holsters... I use the CTAC Slide.

There are a TON of good quality leather holsters out there... I'm sure others will have good suggestions. Milt Sparks, Alessi, O'Rourke, Mitch Rosen, Kramer, R Grizzle, TT Gunleather, and on and on.

You will have to try them out and see what works for you. I know that "trying them out" can be expensive... but there's not much you can do about it. Or, if you know someone that has a holster you're thinking of getting... ask to meet up and try it out. I'd be glad to let you try anything I have and I'm sure others here would be too.

[grin]

Last edited:
I don't carry IWB because to do it correctly you need 1 size pants for when you don't carry and a size larger for when you do. Don't keep touching the gun to see if it's still there.

I have the 5.11 Tactical gun belt which I am happy with. Alot of "gun" belts also come with a plastic reinforcement strip between the layers of leather acting like an I-beam to help carry the load of your gun and not flex or fold over.

I like my Crossbreed Supertuck for my sig 250

I also like the Desantis Tuck this, but it clamps on your pants and not the belt, so I havent used it in awhile.

On another note, is the Walmart trip with the nachos still an accepted rite of passage for someone new to ccw? I haven't heard mention of it in awhile.

Wal-Mart or Home Depot seem to be the popular ones. (^_^)

Echo everything above about getting quality gear.

Another thing you can try is asking the members if anyone has a holster that didn't work for them and if you can borrow it to try. I know I have a nice drawer of stuff that does not really work for me. The M&Pc is kind of new, so there might not be too many people out there with 'trial' holsters.

Generally, if you spend the $$, you are more likely to find a fit. With some delightful exceptions, it is almost always the cheaper version that goes into the drawer.

I've also found that IWB carry just does not work for me at all no matter what kind of rig I try. However, I've also found that I can usually hide OWB once you get past the "everyone will see it" fear. So, don't get too caught up in one thing and keep your options open.

Gotta find what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom