• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conceal carry in Ohio?

I am heading to Ohio for a few days and am having difficulty trying to figure out if I can carry concealed there. I have a NH resident CCW and a PA non-resident. It doesn't appear that Ohio recognizes either. Can anyone help?

I am heading to Ohio for a few days and am having difficulty trying to figure out if I can carry concealed there. I have a NH resident CCW and a PA non-resident. It doesn't appear that Ohio recognizes either. Can anyone help?

It does not appear that your permits give you reciprocity.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

However, like NH you can still possess a handgun in the state. There are no licensing requirements for that. You just can't carry.

OH AG CCW reciprocity info

You are correct, neither license will let you carry concealed here. FL or UT non-res would be GTG.

Open carry is legal here (w/o a license of course) but is rarely done. In six years, I have not seen a single person doing it. If you are going to a big city, expect to be hassled by the law for it.

If you want to bring guns to shoot, feel free. Understand that OH law considers a magazine or speedloader with ammo and a handgun for same anywhere in the car to be a loaded handgun. So if you do not have a license good here, make sure all your mags are empty when you transport.

There is no "storage law" here and you can transport in your vehicle without a CHL like this:

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are traveling to OH and have the proper paperwork, be aware that OH is a "must notify on first official contact with an officer" state. There is u-tube video of a stop where someone was seen openly carrying and the only thing they were able to get him on was "failure to notify".

Jose can correct me if this info is inaccurate.

If you were Open-Carrying (minus in a car) why would you have to "notify" an officer you are carrying? I am sure they will notice if they are intent on having contact with you....probably sound like a smart ass saying "hey I got a pistol on my hip" when its in plain sight..

Don't bring any mags that hold more than 30 rounds.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

Unless it's a .22, of course, which is harmless in quantities over 30.

If you are traveling to OH and have the proper paperwork, be aware that OH is a "must notify on first official contact with an officer" state. There is u-tube video of a stop where someone was seen openly carrying and the only thing they were able to get him on was "failure to notify".

Jose can correct me if this info is inaccurate.

I took a quick look at Ohio law and it appears that someone open carrying while not in a vehicle is exempt from this requirement.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped, or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (E) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves. Additionally, if a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.04 of the Revised Code and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun.

If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the licensee is stopped or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves.

But who knows, case law could have expanded the circumstances where one needs to disclose or something similar.

If you were Open-Carrying (minus in a car) why would you have to "notify" an officer you are carrying? I am sure they will notice if they are intent on having contact with you....probably sound like a smart ass saying "hey I got a pistol on my hip" when its in plain sight..

It looks like you're correct, but there are some strange technicalities in the law, even in free states. I can think of a few here in my very gun friendly state.

Back
Top Bottom