Compensator vs. Muzzle brake

I've recently purchased an post ban m&p ar15 orc. I've already made the mistake of buying the wrong front sight post. I'm wondering now how to tell the difference between a compensator and a muzzle brake besides just the store's description?

A compensator directs the gasses in a way that reduces felt recoil and muzzle rise.

I beleive the only thing a muzzle break does is cut down the flash that is seen and has not actual benefit to the shooter.

Comps and Muzzle brakes are differentiated by what the manufacturer calls
the thing. Some of them are neither. [laugh]

Are you concerned about legalities (eg, brake/comp vs flash hider) or function?

-Mike

Generally speaking, a muzzle brake has a hole (there one that the bullet passes through) that is just a bit bigger than the bore diameter. On a .223, the holes is around 1/4" diameter.

A flash hider has a much larger hole. There are exceptions though.

the way you can tell what it really is... is that a compensator directs gases thru horizontal or vertical ports and the exit diameter is closed off and is slightly larger (.010"-.020") then the bullet its ment for.

on the other hand the muzzle brake directs the gases vertically or horizontally and has a large open bare ended muzzle with ports on the top or on the flanks .

and anything with elongated narrow slits inline with the barrel axis all the way around the muzzle end would be a flash hider/suppressor.

Last edited:
the way you can tell what it really is... is that a compensator directs gases thru horizontal or vertical ports and the exit diameter is closed off and is slightly larger (.010"-.020") then the bullet its ment for.

on the other hand the muzzle brake directs the gases vertically or horizontally and has a large open bare ended muzzle with ports on the top or on the flanks .

and anything with elongated narrow slits inline with the barrel axis all the way around the muzzle end would be a flash hider/suppressor.

what effective muzzle brake is open at the end?

Franco, I think you're confused. A muzzle break and compensator are the same thing, and they're allowed under Mass law. A flash hider is the 'evil' feature.

Last edited:
This one is a compensator. The hole on the end is just big enough for the bullet to exit.

This one is a flash suppressor. The hole on the end is open bigger than for just the bullet to exit.

Thanks Mike, the first one is the one I have on backorder frown brownell's. I just don't want to buy something I can't use

If you have ports or baffles somewhere on your barrel, your gun is compensated. Even that Ak slant thing is a crude baffle.

Anything you put on the muzzle needs to have an exit hole larger than the bore because alignment can be off or the bullet can spin enough to grow in diameter slightly as a it exits. The reason a brake has a smaller hole than something marketed as flash suppressor is so that there is more surface area in front of the muzzle for gases to whack against, counteracting recoil. They both cut down on flash, a brake would be louder to the shooter and bystanders though. All muzzle brakes are compensators but not vice versa. Simply because you can have a compensator that isn't on the muzzle. It can just be porting or mid barrel brake, like in the case of a shotgun or Magnaporting/GlockC.

A flash suppressor seems to something tied up more with legal terminology to me.

Last edited:
From my understanding the distinguishing factor, for legality, is what the manufacture decides to call it, right? So the Spikes Tactical Krink style "brake" would be legal, but the Novesk KX3 which looks to opperate the same way, would not because it is listed as a suppressor by the ATF?

I am building a SBR and would really like one these muzzle devices, but I cant wrap my head around the idea of what is and what isn't.

Thanks
Ed

I beleive the only thing a muzzle break does is cut down the flash that is seen and has not actual benefit to the shooter.

Unless, of course, you are on the delivering end of the stick, it's dark out and you left your Ray Bans at home! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom