• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

COMPACT 9MM

WMD

I'm going to buy a 9mm pistol for CCW (don't want to get into reasons why i think this is the best caliber for me). Was interested in hearing what people carry and what is the most concealable, in what sort of holster. I would love a springfield xd sub-compact but I don't have any plans of leaving ma anytime soon and i hear they're pretty hard to come by. glock 26? p239? cs9? p99?

I carried my P99 a lot and I never had a problem concealing it. I love mine. Not that I wouldn't carry it again, but I've just switched to my H&K USPc .40 SS...There's no reason other than that for why I'm not currently carrying the P99.

Most of the time, I am carrying my P99 full size. I don't have any problems concealing it with just a t-shirt.

Adam

I am currently using a Glock G26 in a Don Hume IWB holster. This works well for me with winter clothing.

Summertime maybe a different story.

Why not carry a Walther PPK? It's a .380, close to a 9mm.

I carry all sorts of crap. I can't figure out what I want to carry. I print with just about everything that I carry. But then I'm a fat ass.

I need to get a good stiff belt. I think that that's part of my problem.

derek said:
RKG said:
Be kind to yourself and give the SIG P239 a once over before buying anything.

+1 you should give everyone on your list a good look over and feel test.

Derek, you need to work on the way you put things.

"+1 you should give everything on your list a good look over and feel test."

LenS said:
derek said:
RKG said:

Well, we know where the boss' mind is today, don't we? [roll] [twisted]

This isn't the bra thread. I was talking about handguns. [twisted]

One of the most concealable 9mm that hold 10+1 is the Taurus PT-111. That is the precise reason why I bought one under the LE exemption just prior to the first EOPS List issuance (2002, which killed the LE exemption).

From what I was able to determine when shopping for that gun, there aren't more than a handful of them in the PRM! Taurus actually refused to "knowingly" ship ANY gun into MA after their lawyers met with our AG's staff (info confirmed to me in phone conversation with National Sales VP for Taurus).

It just may be up for sale here shortly. Depends on whether or not I take a liking to a particular gun I have in my sights as a replacement and able to snag one at a reasonable price (a lot lower than anything advertised in MA).

Here's a crappy looking picture of the gun from another website.
http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2500/2565.htm

derek said:
LenS said:
derek said:
RKG said:

Well, we know where the boss' mind is today, don't we? [roll] [twisted]

This isn't the bra thread. I was talking about handguns. [twisted]

Sure you were! Save that line for Melody! [lol]

The Kahr is nice.
A used Keltec?
Sigs are all good.
Ruger P95?
Have you considered a Makarov? They are between a .380 and 9mm, inexpensive, and legal here. Also very compact.

I only wish that Taurus were available here, what with the integrated lock and all. They have the millenium and some nice revolvers too.

Keep in mind . . . EVERYTHING "in state" (when you go to purchase) IS LEGAL HERE! You don't need to care when it came into MA or how it came into MA unless you hold a FFL and MA Permit to Sell Firearms!!

It may not be legal for a dealer to sell it, but there is NO RESTRICTION on a private sale.

Ch. 180 and AG Regs are "anti-dealer laws" not "anti-gun laws"!

So if somebody somehow brought a gun to mass that he wouldn't be allowed to buy from a dealer in state and I buy it from him in a private sale I don't have to worry about the list?

WMD said:
So if somebody somehow brought a gun to mass that he wouldn't be allowed to buy from a dealer in state and I buy it from him in a private sale I don't have to worry about the list?
You got it. As long as were still talking about handguns and not "assault rifles".
Edited to add: And as long as he brought it here when he MOVED here. He couldn't just drive up from another state, sell it to you and then go home.

The P239 is ok (I've got 2). They're a bit big and the higher bore axis gives it a bit more muzzle rise for me. They are quite accurate, but I'm not a fan of DA/SA. YMMV.

The Glock 26 is a fine gun, but a bit fat. I still have problems with the Glock trigger. I hate the stock Glock sights, but that's easily fixed.

I really do like the Kahr K9 -- I find it the easiest of these three to conceal and it has a pretty nice trigger as well. You'll have to get a used one, but Four Seasons and Collector's Guns often have one in stock.

If you're near Framingham I'll be glad to take you to a range and let you try out my K9 and P239. Send me a PM if you are interested.

All good options mentioned above, esp. the Sig 239. Also think about
the Smith and Wesson 6906, a smallish 9mm DA/SA 12+1 shot pistol.
These can usually be had in excellent shape for $300-400. The popular dealers usually have them in and out from time to time. I believe this model was discontinued in 2000. I have two and enjoy shooting them. They are fairly easy to carry too.

I use a P239 9mm with a Highnoon Down Under w Clip IWB holster. Great gun. I just picked up a G26... I'll have to see how that works out once I get a holster for that. Both shoot amazingly well for the size.

Thanks for the input everyone. Pardon my newbie ignorance, but if I do a private sale of a gun that was pre-ban or brought into mass by someone who moved here, as the buyer I have to fill out the FA-10, right - do I have to prove that it's "legal" somehow (not just brought in by someone travelling through the state) or is the seller's word good enough for the FRB?

Back
Top Bottom