Compact .45 semi-autos for CCW

In the market for a compact .45 semi-auto CCW pistol. Right now the ones I have my eye on are the Springfield XDs, S&W M&P45c, and Glock 36 (or 30?)

Springfield, on paper, has everything I am looking for. Down side is finding one in MA... well that's for just about all of them.

S&W M&P line is a pretty proven lineup with a good track record. Brother has a fullsize M&P9 and it's pretty easy to shoot.

Glock 36 or 30. Never shot a Glock. Have heard all of the love/hate wars all over the web about the brand. I just know they are popular for CCW because of weight etc.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions? Don't really have access to any of these to shoot or even hold most likely prior to purchasing.

I have not had my 30 long (400 down the pipe ) but I have been really impressed. IMO an easy shooter with good capacity and glock reliability.

As far as carry. Its got some weight and some width. I think both are definitely manageable with a quality holster.

Do you have a place to shoot ? Id be happy to let you give it a test drive. Just bring some factory ammo.

As stated. Glock 30 or 36
Sig P245
SA XDS
S&W pro series 3"

All solid choices.

I did recently see a Kahr PM45 in the classifieds also.

Thanks for the suggestions Andy. I like the Pro 3" a lot but unfortunately it's probably a bit out of my price range right now. I will have to check out that P245, hadn't thought about those. Just really wish I could get my hands on some of these to get a feel for them.

I have not had my 30 long (400 down the pipe ) but I have been really impressed. IMO an easy shooter with good capacity and glock reliability.

As far as carry. Its got some weight and some width. I think both are definitely manageable with a quality holster.

Do you have a place to shoot ? Id be happy to let you give it a test drive. Just bring some factory ammo.

Thanks. Whatever I get, I plan on getting a Crossbreed or Comptac or similar (hopefully a G3 Holster from our local NES guy here) as I feel a good holster is just as important as the gun itself almost. I'm a member at Taunton rifle & pistol. I will get in touch about getting together some time, thanks for the offer.

While technically not a compact, the S&W 1911es is right up there with pistols that conceal well.

Thanks for the offer! I will shoot you a PM in a bit. May be available tomorrow afternoon but with our newborn home now there's no telling what the day will bring.

Sent from my AR15 rail-mounted tactical iPhone attachment

If you can get your hands on an M&P45 Compact or Mid-sized, they're very nice, and are far, far, easier to shoot than sub-compact .45s.

Inbox is no longer full. I'll keep you in touch with the sale of my 36.
I like my 36 and have been carrying it daily for the past few days since I got the BladeTech Phantom holster. Very carryable, but not quite as comfortable as my M-TAC holster for my 1911, so I may just get the Kydex for the 36 to go with the M-TAC. Shoots very accurately, too!

Might I suggest the S&W CS 45? I know it isn't plastic, but they're a great litttle gun for CCW.

Posted from my busted old G2 on T-mobile's sorry network.

heres another suggestion.......ruger p345. midsized 45 auto. good shooter and no problems with it in the 3 years ive had it.

bob

I think the P345 looks good but might be a bit bigger than what I want right now. Thanks for the suggestion though, I hadn't really looked into those before.

I for one would not carry any piece that needed trigger work. Not something I would want to have to defend in court if came to that.

I believe mas ayoob says something to the same point. I think especially important given the state we live in.

I agree, the only thing I've ever done to my CCW's was polishing the internal parts. Other than that, I keep it all stock. I modify my range guns, but I would never risk something like modifying a trigger in court. No thank you.

Back
Top Bottom