Comments on Smith and Wesson 1911SC E-Series and 1911PD

Hi All, looking to buy my first 1911, and given that I live in controlling MA, my options are limited. I am impressed with the info on S&W 1911SC E-Series and the 1911PD. Like the lower weight (29 oz.) for carrying than the larger and heavier 1911s. Any comments, pro or con? Thanks.

I have an E-series SC. It's an amazing little 45. VERY easy to conceal and shoots like a dream. The night sites are awesome. The only issue is finding one in MA. They are very rare.

I will be selling mine soon due to personal finance issues. A friend has first dibs and a week to see if he has the cash.

Very happy with my 1911PD, like Roman said not easy to find. S&W is trickling the E-series out (keeps the price high) and most gun shops have a waiting list for them. Don't know if the PD is still in production or not, good luck can't go wrong with ether of them.

I managed to snag a 1911SC E-series at Four Seasons the other day. Right place at the right time. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'll report back when I do.

I have a 1911PD, it's a excellent gun and shoots perfect. I don't carry it though but I shoot it regularly.

I have an E-series SC. It's an amazing little 45. VERY easy to conceal and shoots like a dream. The night sites are awesome. The only issue is finding one in MA. They are very rare.

It's not so much "finding one in MA" as it is "finding one period". S&W doesn't seem to be making enough of the E series to meet demand.

-Mike

I just picked up a 2-Tone sc E Series the other day from FS. Was on a waiting list for 5 or 6 months. Haven't shot it yet but I just finished taking it apart, cleaning it up and getting it ready. I absolutely love the gun. Its well thought out and well put together. I just can't wait to get to the range.

<<<<<< I have a SW 1911 not the exact model(s) you are looking at, but the SW performance and quality of the 1911 series is excellent. Well over 1000 rounds through my 45acp without an issue. Cycles like new, accurate, well balanced, love shooting this gun, field stripping and cleaning a breeze. I am a SW fan overall so maybe biased.

My 1911PD is one of my favorite guns - great gun. Its rock solid and shoots very smooth.

I have two S&W 1911s. A SW1911 ss full size. This was my single stack gun for USPSA with just a little upgrading and has a round count somewhere north of 10,000. The SW1911sc Commander size is my fall,winter and spring carry. It lets the SW360PD play, ( carried, not shot) in the warm weather.

Clearshot7 if you want to meet to shoot the 1911PD just let me know and we can work it out.

The E-series looks like a pretty good gun. The only things I don't like are the external extractor and their sight cut.

Personally, I'd skip the lightweight models. I carry a fullsize, stainless steel 1911. It isn't hard with a good holster.

The E-series looks like a pretty good gun. The only things I don't like are the external extractor and their sight cut.

Personally, I'd skip the lightweight models. I carry a fullsize, stainless steel 1911. It isn't hard with a good holster.

M1911, thanks for the reply. Curious, why do you not like the external extractor and the sight cut? Would appreciate more clarification on external extractor vs. internal extractor.

Dirtypacman, thanks for the reply, and I may take you up on your offer. Where would we be shooting, Haverhill or Harvard, and what days would you be available?

Well weekends work best and I prefer shooting at Harvard now a days but can work something out for a weeknight and or Haverhill also.

M1911, thanks for the reply. Curious, why do you not like the external extractor and the sight cut? Would appreciate more clarification on external extractor vs. internal extractor.
1911s have used internal extractors since, well, 1911. Once tuned, internal extractors are very durable. The external extractor seems to me to be the answer to a non-existent problem. But perhaps I'm just a sentimentalist in that regards.

S&W uses a unique slide cut for its sights, which reduces the number of sights that will fit. Personally, I despise Novak sights, so changing those out would be the first thing I would do. There is nothing "wrong" with one dovetail over another, just that S&W's dovetail reduces your choice of aftermarket sights.

I'm getting tired of Smith&Wesson's supply problems when they launch a new model. The Bodyguard is still hard to find and now the E-Series is pretty much non-existant in supply chains, at least here in Mass.

-JR

I just bought an E-series at Four Seasons (though I can't get it until tomorrow because the FBI needs 3 days to figure out I don't have so much as a speeding ticket). I wasn't even planning on it, I figured I'd only be able to get the regular model. Might be worth giving them a call.

I'm getting tired of Smith&Wesson's supply problems when they launch a new model. The Bodyguard is still hard to find and now the E-Series is pretty much non-existant in supply chains, at least here in Mass.

-JR

If it means that the E-series remains a good product I don't care if it's slow. Smith's QC has suffered on a bunch of products, last thing I want to see that creep into is that gun. [laugh]

If you really want an E-series you just need to play firm with your dealer. You tell them "I'm looking for SKU XXXXXX".... I want one, badly... and here is my phone number, and I will drop cash for it the moment it arrives in your shop".

It's not an MA thing either, that gun is relatively rare all over. It's popular because its probably one of the best price/value 1911s out there. You get a lot of hi brow features for not a lot of money, at least on paper.

-Mike

Last edited:
I just bought an E-series at Four Seasons (though I can't get it until tomorrow because the FBI needs 3 days to figure out I don't have so much as a speeding ticket). I wasn't even planning on it, I figured I'd only be able to get the regular model. Might be worth giving them a call.

So how does it feel to be considered a criminal by the government until proven otherwise ? I bet that woke you up a bit.

When you get to shoot it, please post a range report in the Firearms section. Bunch of people here probably would like to see that.

-Mike

-JR

Don't know if you are looking for a Bodyguard, but if you are I saw probably 10 at Bob's in Salisbury. They just arrived and were in boxes on the counter. May be worth a call if your interested. Also saw atleast one at North Shore Fire Arms in Middleton last week.

Wow! I called Four Seasons today and they had one in stock. I'm picking it up tomorrow. It's the two-tone, Scandium-framed, bobtail Commander. I'm pretty stoked.

-JR

It's gorgeous.

626ec7aa-cb50-af94.jpg

Thanks. It may be my first 1911, and I have nothing to compare it to (Kimber, EB, etc), but it feels really good in the hand. I just feels like a solid gun. {knocks on wood}

-JR

i want one. ive been following the thread but still can't tell the difference between the pd and e series? which is available which is not?

PD is/was the name for the black scandium-frame Commander 1911. The E-Series is the umbrella name for the latest refresh of the entire SW1911s (excluding 3 older hold-over SKUs for Cali).
I think...

-JR

Took it to the range for the 1st time last night. Loooove this handgun. It certainly kicks more than my M&P9Pro (5" vs 4.25"), but that was expected and not as much as I thought it would. Easily had 2" groupings at 30 feet. I prefer the white-dot night sites to the optical sites on my M&P (the Pro has no markings on the rear site). I had a few failures to go into battery when chambering the 1st round of a full-magazine (using Remington FMJ), but never while firing.

-JR

Back
Top Bottom