Colt revolver dillema

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
As a b'day gift, a co-worker gave me a Colt 1862 police revolver, .36 cal., 4 1/2 in. round bbl with the NY address. Serial no. 7226 seems to put it in 1861 first year production. The gun is as tight as a drum, no movement anywhere, walnut grip looks like new, bore is very good and the all matching serial nos and other markings are nice and sharp. No corrosion, but all the blueing gone. It needs a main spring which I could probably find or make. I have no interest in shooting or selling the gun and want to keep it in the family. To replace the spring to make the gun functional I would have to take it apart. It looks like not one screw has ever been turned, so do I want to strip down a gun that hasn't been molested in 155 years? What do you think? Jack.

Fix it. Shoot it....restore the gun. I don't think that is molesting the gun if you bring it back to its original beauty. if you don't want to restore it I would at least repair what is broken so it is functional. You can try to find some tools that won't damage the finish on the screws....

You duped yourself Jack. I think pastera's post in the other thread is the best rout, send it to colt. Though personally I would probably throw it in the oven on 200 for a little bit to warm it and see if I get lucky with one of the screws. If it broke free cleanly then I would go for it. Any fight from the screw and off to colt she would go.

+1 to attempt making it functional. Even if you don't intend to send some lead out the business end, IMHO a functional safe queen is more interesting than a paperweight. As a legacy piece to keep in the family, perhaps those who follow may not have the same skill set you do. Certainly making it functional will be more expensive and perhaps more challenging in the future. I would not collect anything I shouldn't shoot, so take my comment with a grain of salt...

I'd get a spring and shoot it. I had one in nickle that looked almost new. It had been converted to fire a rimfire cartridge. I also had some of the cartridges but never fired it. Will Colt work on a gun that old? S&W won't.

+1 to attempt making it functional. Even if you don't intend to send some lead out the business end, IMHO a functional safe queen is more interesting than a paperweight. As a legacy piece to keep in the family, perhaps those who follow may not have the same skill set you do. Certainly making it functional will be more expensive and perhaps more challenging in the future. I would not collect anything I shouldn't shoot, so take my comment with a grain of salt...
Good point. If I repair it I may go whole hog and get it re finshed. And shoot it. Jack.

OK, you guys talked me into it. Just ordered a new set of gunsmith screwdrivers and two main springs. They are for repro, but supposed to fit the original. Will still keep looking for an original spring. The gun is so tight and solid that I'm really thinking about shooting it after I fix it. Jack.

You might find a screwdriver that fits it perfect in the set.
If not, I've ground screwdrivers to fit specific screws before if it was something I was nervous about damaging.

Back
Top Bottom