• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collapsible stock vs Adjustable stock vs Folding stock in MA

I found it. Remember, CT has the exact same text as the federal law.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

This is the letter I received from the CT DPS re a thumbhole stock for a Saiga. My mistake, it was not from Hatfield, but rather Trooper Krauss:

Date: March 19, 2012 10:31:50 EDT
To: "xxxxx"
Cc: "Terra, Lawrence" <[email protected]>, "Musial, Shawn" <[email protected]>
Subject: Saiga Stock

Mr. XXX:
With regard to your question concerning the following stock, http://www.atigunstocks.com/traditional-stocks/450-saiga-fiberforce-stock.html, if used with an otherwise compliant firearm this type of thumbhole stock would not be a characteristic that would contribute to the firearm being considered an assault weapon.
If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Sgt. William B. Krauss #256

Sergeant William B. Krauss
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457-2389
Tel.:(860)685-8011 Fax: (860) 685-8644

This is a simple question with a complicated answer. I don't know of any MA specific guidance, but here is how it works out with other juristictional authorities.

1)the ATF does not consider the thumbhole stock to be a pistol grip with regards to the now expired AWB. They allowed manufacturers to replace pistol grips with thumbhole stocks.

2) The ATF DOES consider thumbhole stocks to be pistol grips with regards to the importation of semi-automatic shotguns.

3) CA considers a thumbhole stock to be a pistol grip. Thus the proliferation of ridiculous CA stocks that allow their residents to avoid the dreaded bullet button.

4) CT does NOT consider the thumbhole stock to be a pistol grip stock. I have an email (which I'm having trouble finding now) from Thomas Hatfield, Esq, the head of the CT DPS Legal affairs group, telling me that a thumbhole stock is not considered to be a pistol grip stock.

I had a customer who wanted me to convert a Saiga. He wanted to use a thumbhole stock as a way to have me put together an AK style Saiga, but still stay clear of the CT AWB.

Hope this helps. Ha. It will just add to the confusion.
Clear as mud now [smile].

I’m curious as to what I can do. I just bought a Mini-14 and several of my friends have replaced the stocks with ATI or Archangel stocks and pinned the folding stock and the adjustable stock. Is that legal in MA or not? Showing what a few of them have and the lady I just bought

Attachments

• BA44D2DB-55C5-4F86-A905-6B2A6CD43DCB.jpeg
    BA44D2DB-55C5-4F86-A905-6B2A6CD43DCB.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DC7276D2-3553-4587-856A-85645F0701A8.png
    DC7276D2-3553-4587-856A-85645F0701A8.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 25
I’m curious as to what I can do. I just bought a Mini-14 and several of my friends have replaced the stocks with ATI or Archangel stocks and pinned the folding stock and the adjustable stock. Is that legal in MA or not? Showing what a few of them have and the lady I just bought

If you have the stock pinned, go for it.

You would need to pin stock to length and also so it doesn't fold. You will need to pin the muzzle device with a non flash hider too to be in compliance once you install the pistol grip if that is applicable to your rifle.

I had to wrestle with this issue of so called "collapsible" stocks - you know the ones that literally only move 1-2 inches to fit different size people. My hope was to only have one evil AR15 that I could use for the entire family and simply adjust the length to fit myself, my wife, son and daughter. But no. I was not able to do that because it would have been too killy for this State. So instead I built four! Happy Maura? I know I am :cool:

Back
Top Bottom