Coleman Dual Fuel help

Knob Creek

NES Member
I've got a new Coleman Dual Fuel lantern running on unleaded pump gas. I've also got several of the older red & green model lanterns that I've run on Coleman fuel in the past.
Looks like the Coleman fuel is getting harder to come by.
Is there a way to convert the older ones to multi fuel or is running them on unleaded (with 10% ethanol) OK?

Last edited:
I collect Colemans and they are near and dear. The ethanol blend gas can dissolve the seals in the older lanterns and stoves from what I understand so unless you can get non ethanol gasoline use the Coleman fuel. You should still be able to find the Coleman fuel. It is at Walmart here and I see it in the hardware all the time. Your new lantern should be able to handle the ethanol blend but I would run it on Coleman as the gasoline additives will plug up the generator over time and reserve gasoline use for an emergency.

Coleman Fuel can be found at Dicks in Dartmouth or Plymouth. I remember seeing it on the shelves a few weeks ago. If you have a newer lantern I wouldn't worry about the blend of gasoline. The fuel system will eventually need to be cleaned due to carbon build up but it's not a problem. As Coastie said; save the gas for an emergency but if you can't find Coleman Fuel, no worries.
As for the older models, do not use gasoline in them. It will destroy the seals and coating of the lantern not to mention ruin the fuel system.

Last edited:
I'm 85% certain that I have seen conversion kits that can turn some single fuel coleman items to dual fuel, but this was also before ethanol.

Coleman Fuel can be found at Dicks in Dartmouth or Plymouth. I remember seeing it on the shelves a few weeks ago. If you have a newer lantern I wouldn't worry about the blend of gasoline. The fuel system will eventually need to be cleaned due to carbon build up but it's not a problem. As Coastie said; save the gas for an emergency but if you can't find Coleman Fuel, no worries.
As for the older models, do not use gasoline in them. It will destroy the seals and coating of the lantern not to mention ruin the fuel system.

Called Dick's in No Dartmouth. They only carry the Propane. None at Walmart in Dart either.

I have 7 or 8 lanterns mostly 220s. They are bulletproof. Keep the cup oiled and a good fuel cap seal and thats it. Same for the stoves. I just picked another one up this morning. $5 for a 425B. Cant beat them. I clean them up check them out and give them and a lantern to friends who are getting started camping or need emergency gear. A gallon of fuel and a pkg of spare mantles and you can cook and have light for a week.

Back
Top Bottom