• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BEETS! Canning help

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Got a pile of beets; canned up some nice, sweet ones. Mmmmmm....

Still have beets left, and MsHappy wants some that are NOT sweet.

I have no pressure canner, so any ideas for a "savory" brine that's suitable for a water bath process would be helpful!

thanks

i pickled some beets a couple of weeks ago in a water batch. just used vinegar and sugar. not sure if that's your definition of sweet.

2.5 Cups white vinegar (5% acid)
1 Cup water
1 Cup sugar

It was only my second time caning, and I only had 4 beets. I made the very small jars, and one quart sized jar.

So I actually doubled that recipe so I would have enough liquid to fill the quart sized jar because I didn't have enough beets to fill the space.

I forgot to mention that I boiled the beets. Also boiled the vinegar, water, sugar mix seperately. Skinned the beets, cut them up, simmered them in the vinegar, water, sugar mix, then added them to jars for processing.

I have no advice re: canning beets. The only advice I can offer: don't panic when you go to the bathroom the day after you eat some of your beets.

Back
Top Bottom