Coldest deer hunt ever!

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Just came back from what was probably the coldest deer hunt ever in New Hampshire's Great North Woods! I think it was -3 when starting Friday.

Freezing my face off...

original.jpg

Sitting still in such cold was not easy.

original.jpg

But the wait paid off in the end!!! Suddenly I hear something behind my left shoulder and this guy jumps up in front of me. And he just stands there, staring at me, wondering what the heck I'm doing. Then he turns his head away for a moment, giving me an opportunity to lift the rifle up and bang! I guess he found out the hard way what I was up to!

original.jpg

A few hours later back at the hunting lodge!

original.jpg

Last edited:
Does the fact that it cools down faster make the meat taste better? I need a hunting course. Any recommendations?

Field dressing and cooling the carcass down quickly is always good. Hanging the carcass for a couple of days to a week in very cool to cold temps improves the meat. Hang it head down.
Several ways to make it taste less gamey...its a personal preference.

Can't help you on the hunting course.

The freezing process tenderizes the meat. I’ve never aged my deer. I cut it up in slabs so it sits in refrigerator. Then I let it cool down so it’s cold then I butcher it myself. Once the meat warms up and doesn’t slice good, I put I back in refrigerator to cool again and just grab another piece. Wrapped in clear plastic then squeeze out any air then two layers of butchers paper & label cut & date. Keeps awesome in deep freezer this way. I also vacuum sealed some too but that’s harder to do correctly: freeze meat firm then vacuum it.

I did research about having to age and everyone loved my venison. YMMV.

The freezing process tenderizes the meat. I’ve never aged my deer. I cut it up in slabs so it sits in refrigerator. Then I let it cool down so it’s cold then I butcher it myself. Once the meat warms up and doesn’t slice good, I put I back in refrigerator to cool again and just grab another piece. Wrapped in clear plastic then squeeze out any air then two layers of butchers paper & label cut & date. Keeps awesome in deep freezer this way. I also vacuum sealed some too but that’s harder to do correctly: freeze meat firm then vacuum it.

I did research about having to age and everyone loved my venison. YMMV.

Agree, cold meat cuts much better. I slice jerky when its just partially frozen but pliable.

Great job! I’ve hunted in some cold weather but the only sub-zero hunting I’ve done is duck hunting on a tidal salt water river, about -3 as well. The River was partially frozen and there were big icicles in my beard under my nose after just 5 minutes out there. Stuck around for about an hour and only saw sky rats.

Back
Top Bottom