"Cold Turkey" IDPA Match

Metrowest Tactical proudly announces the "First Annual Cold Turkey IDPA Match" to be held the day after Thanksgiving.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club
Date: Friday November 23, 2007
Time: 9:15 am - 3:00 pm
The match will feature 4 outdoor and 2 indoor stages.

Make sure to bring:
- Pistol or revolver
- At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
- Holster
- Magazine carrier/holder
- Concealment garment (a shirt, vest, or light jacket will work fine)
- Eye and ear protection
- 200 rounds of ammunition

Registration starts at 9:15 am
Safety briefing at 9:45 am
First shot at 10:00 am
Match fee $20.

BBQ Lunch will be available for purchase courtesy of the HSC's
Kitchen Committee.

This match is open to the public. No pre-registration is necessary.
Bring your friends to shoot with us.

Join us for our some late fall fun!

Additional info on www.metrowesttactical.com

Last edited:
Metrowest Tactical proudly announces the "First Annual Cold Turkey IDPA Match" to be held the day after Thanksgiving.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Make sure to bring:
- Pistol or revolver
- At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
- Holster
- Magazine carrier/holder
- Concealment garment (a shirt, vest, or light jacket will work fine)
- Eye and ear protection
- 200 rounds of ammunition

Registration starts at 9:15 am
Safety briefing at 9:45 am
First shot at 10:00 am
Match fee $20.

BBQ Lunch will be available for purchase courtesy of the HSC's
Kitchen Committee.

This match is open to the public. No pre-registration is necessary.
Bring your friends to shoot with us.

Join us for our some late fall fun!

Additional info on www.metrowesttactical.com

I was employed as an armed guard and still have my duty rig. Can I use this in the match or is this equipment only for LEOs.

I was employed as an armed guard and still have my duty rig. Can I use this in the match or is this equipment only for LEOs.---Gammon
I'm not running the match so this isn’t a definitive answer, but I don't think there would be any problem with you using a police type duty rig in an IDPA match.

They might require you place your holster and magazine holders in accordance with IDPA rules. You will have to use all retaining devices and snaps on your holster and magazine holders. If this is your first match let the MD and SOs know.

Respectfully,

jkelly

duty rigs

IDPA rule book says:

Exception – Police or military officers may use their duty rig, but
ALL retention features of the holster MUST be used and all belt
equipment (mace, handcuffs, etc.) must be present.

Apparently armed guards, former or present, do not qualify and you would probably want another holster for the sport anyway.

However, if your duty holster meets safety requirements otherwise, positioned properly, used with flaps, and concealed - you will not be turned away from a club match. Sanctioned match, naturally, would be a different story.

Gammon,

As an Assitant Match Director for this match, I can assure you that we will let you shoot this match with your duty gear as described. We do require that if, as JKelly says, your holster or mag pouches have snaps, they must be snapped in place before you answer the standard query, "Are you ready!"

That last line gets every IDPA devotee salivating while doing his best to control the inevitable adrenaline dump. Action pistol shooting IDPA-style -- what a rush!

Darius

Last edited:
Gammon,

As an Assitant Match Director for this match, I can assure you that we will let you shoot this match with your duty gear as described. We do require that if, as JKelly says, your holster or mag pouches have snaps, they must be snapped in place before you answer the standard query, "Are you ready!"

That last line gets every IDPA devotee salivating while doing his best to control the inevitable adrenaline dump. Action pistol shooting IDPA-style -- what a rush!

Darius

Thanks, but my duty rig (Safariland leather/plastic) just died. After many thousands of draws, the thumb strap just fell off. I will be trying an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster. Snaps on a mag pouch? Not on my duty rig.

Bump!

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Respectfully,

jkelly

To Micheal and the SOs:

You put on nice match and enjoyed shooting it very much

Thank You All!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Great time. I was cold but I'm a wuss. Anyone know who might be having steel plate shooting classes??? [rolleyes]

It was great seeing so many new shooters... wow. I don't think I knew a big bunch of people today.

To Micheal and the SOs:

You put on nice match and enjoyed shooting it very much

Thank You All!

Respectfully,

jkelly

A hell of a match. Hardest match ever (how do such nice guys comes up with such evil stages???), and my gun went total FUBAR on stage 1.* Re shot the stage, but not sure how that effected my score (did they use the re shot score? not sure), which was not great.

Cold, gun goes down, very tough stages = that score! [crying]

For me, it went like this: Stage one, total FUBAR. Stage 2, bad. Stage 3-5, happy with my performance, stage 6, could be better...how did it go for you y'all?

Oh well, it was all fun, and all part of the real world of shooting.

Now, if I could just figure out how to read the score sheets better! There's a note I see next to some names (including mine) in the "promote" box which I can't read. On printing it out, just coems out as ####. What's that about?

* = it actually took 3 people to get the gun up and running again! One to hold the slide, one to hold the frame, and me to yank the shell out with a multi tool!

Last edited:
Now, if I could just figure out how to read the score sheets better!

What do you need to know? It's just the accumulate of all the points we score at each stage. Procedurals, Failure To Neutralize and Hit on Non Threat are all summed up as penalty points. The rest are just points down and time. Come on... you should be a pro at this now. [wink]

What do you need to know? It's just the accumulate of all the points we score at each stage. Procedurals, Failure To Neutralize and Hit on Non Threat are all summed up as penalty points. The rest are just points down and time. Come on... you should be a pro at this now. [wink]

A pro, have you seen my scores??!! [rofl]

I am a pro at looking for FTNs on the score sheets....

A pro, have you seen my scores??!! [rofl]

I am a pro at looking for FTNs on the score sheets....

Ahhh grasshoper..... I'm no expert myself by any stretch and I had my share of "issues" yesterday... but I have one thing that would help you. Slow down and focus on getting good shots. You certainly can make good shots but when you are under game pressure and rushing... things go ugly. Your score will go up if you do this. Your raw time may increase a bit but your bad penalties- like Hits on a Non Threat and Failure to Neutralize will go away. These and other procedurals are KILLERS. Half the game is mental disipline.
How often do you practice?

Also.... don't waste time taking extra shots when you don't need to. [wink]

What a great match: I wish I could have stayed to shoot the whole thing. I need to slow down a bit and work on those pesky steel plates. Tough to have a .45 bounce off them. I only nicked one good guy though. Thyanks to all the guys who set the match up, I know how much work it must be. Greg

<snip>
Now, if I could just figure out how to read the score sheets better! There's a note I see next to some names (including mine) in the "promote" box which I can't read. On printing it out, just coems out as ####. What's that about?

If a person of a lower classification shoots better than a portion of the shooters in a higher classification (in the same division I think) they will be bumped up to that next level on their own classification.

EX. I shoot CDP at the MM level; if at this shoot I shot better than a percent of the shooters in the next level up, SS, then my classification would be promoted to SS from MM. Off the top of my head I do not know if that only applies to sanctioned matches or includes club level events. I think this is just to keep people from sandbagging at the classifiers to be in a lower level, or if it has been a while since they have classified as a way to mark their improvement.

BTW Great match, I talked with some of the Pelham folks and we are going to be stealing some of the stage ideas for use there. [:)]

Ahhh grasshoper..... I'm no expert myself by any stretch and I had my share of "issues" yesterday... but I have one thing that would help you.

Without a doubt, I was not the only one having some issues as one would expcet from tough stages shooting in the cold, etc.

Slow down and focus on getting good shots. You certainly can make good shots but when you are under game pressure and rushing... things go ugly.

All true, and I do ugly so very well! [smile]

Your score will go up if you do this. Your raw time may increase a bit but your bad penalties- like Hits on a Non Threat and Failure to Neutralize will go away. These and other procedurals are KILLERS. Half the game is mental disipline.
How often do you practice?

Not as often as I would like and the major reason for that is, Braintree will not allow any real IDPA style practice. I need to join a club where I can put some IDPA targets out and go to town on them. Might join Harvard anyway even though its a hall for me. Of course I can still work on some things at the static shooting lines at Braintree (and I do) but that only gets one so far. For example, I have been working on my strong hand shooting and 25 yard stuff and that has been paying off on my scores (not that you would know it...) and what can be done from a static position.

Also.... don't waste time taking extra shots when you don't need to. [wink]

I do enjoy hitting 'em a few extra times just to be sure, you true, it would improve the scores if i didn't.

All good advice, see you at the next match. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom