"Cold Turkey" IDPA Match

What a great match: I wish I could have stayed to shoot the whole thing. I need to slow down a bit and work on those pesky steel plates.

Pesky would be an under statement of the year...Lord I hate those things, but we are not alone there....[smile]

Tough to have a .45 bounce off them. I only nicked one good guy though. Thyanks to all the guys who set the match up, I know how much work it must be. Greg

Hopefully we will see you at more matches Greg.

If a person of a lower classification shoots better than a portion of the shooters in a higher classification (in the same division I think) they will be bumped up to that next level on their own classification.

That's what I figured, but looking at my scores, I don't see how that would apply to me, which means (1) i am reading the scores wrong (2) they made a mistake by checking my name off there (3) the way it's figured out is above my pionty head.

EX. I shoot CDP at the MM level;

As do I.

if at this shoot I shot better than a percent of the shooters in the next level up, SS, then my classification would be promoted to SS from MM.

Makes perfecty sense but I didnt beat any of the SS CDP shooters and was not top of the class in MM CDP either in this match. Perhaps they checked off the "promote" box 'cause I am so damn pretty?

Off the top of my head I do not know if that only applies to sanctioned matches or includes club level events. I think this is just to keep people from sandbagging at the classifiers to be in a lower level, or if it has been a while since they have classified as a way to mark their improvement.

BTW Great match, I talked with some of the Pelham folks and we are going to be stealing some of the stage ideas for use there. [:)]

I will avoid Pelham then! [smile]

If a person of a lower classification shoots better than a portion of the shooters in a higher classification (in the same division I think) they will be bumped up to that next level on their own classification.

From the IDPA Rulebook:
There are two ways a shooter can be reclassified at a sanctioned
match:

1. If total participation in a specific classification within a
division is 10 – 19 shooters, the winner of this class will
automatically be promoted up to the next higher classification.
If 20 – 29 shooters compete in this division/classification, both
1st and 2nd place competitors will be promoted, etc.

2. If the winner of a division and classification has a better
score than 10-19 people in his classification AND the
classification above his within the same division, the shooter
will be promoted to the shooter’s next higher classification. If
the 2nd place competitor of a division and classification has a
better score than 20 – 29 shooters in his classification AND the
classification above within the same division, the 2nd place
competitor will be promoted, etc.

I will avoid Pelham then! ---Will Brink
Yeah, before I travel up to Pelham, I’m an hour south of Harvard, I was planning on finding out which one’s they were thinking of copying. :)

It was nice to finally meet both Nicole Pigeon from the Pelham club, a name I remembered from the great USPSA matches they put on in the past, and Greg Derr a south shore shooter/gunsmith of national renown.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
From the IDPA Rulebook:
There are two ways a shooter can be reclassified at a sanctioned
match:

1. If total participation in a specific classification within a
division is 10 – 19 shooters, the winner of this class will
automatically be promoted up to the next higher classification.
If 20 – 29 shooters compete in this division/classification, both
1st and 2nd place competitors will be promoted, etc.

2. If the winner of a division and classification has a better
score than 10-19 people in his classification AND the
classification above his within the same division, the shooter
will be promoted to the shooter’s next higher classification. If
the 2nd place competitor of a division and classification has a
better score than 20 – 29 shooters in his classification AND the
classification above within the same division, the 2nd place
competitor will be promoted, etc.

I don't fit either of the above as far as I can tell, so I am more confused than ever....what am i missing here?[hmmm]

Had I shot just a tad better and my gun had not gone total FUBAR on stage one, I think I could have won the devision (there were 4 CDP MM listed) and perhaps with some more practice that may happen in the future, but it didnt happen here, that's for darn sure...sorry to be so dense here.

Last edited:
Yeah, before I travel up to Pelham, I’m an hour south of Harvard, I was planning on finding out which one’s they were thinking of copying.

It's probably 90 mins for me.

and Greg Derr a south shore shooter/gunsmith of national renown.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have a fine Greg Derr built Ti framed Caspian Commander myself, though that's not what i was using at the match. Good to see Greg make it to a match.

Not sure. You are still CDP MM if that is the question.

It may not have been the question, but it is the answer more or less! As mentioned, I noted the "promote" box had #### in it for me and a few other names, so perhaps its a simple non related comp thing, don't know.

"####" is just Excel telling the spread sheet user to widen the column so that it's information can be displayed and is just a "programming error" type of thing that should be ignored, or so I think. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

"####" is just Excel telling the spread sheet user to widen the column so that it's information can be displayed and is just a "programming error" type of thing that should be ignored, or so I think. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Finally, an answer I understand! Thanx! When in doubt, always ask John!

Question, as a IDPA virgin I am not sure what pistols are deemed adequate...?
I have a PM9 which is a great CCW, but NOT so great at 25y; I have a S&W22a which is great, but it's a 22, and I am not sure that would be allowed. Can someone give a quick rundown of what the requirements are? I would like to give it a go but don't want to look like a complete dumbass with inappropriate equipment... And lastly, do they rank guys and gals separately? thanks for patience with a newbe

If you have a safe strong-side holster (IWB or OWB) for the PM9, and several magazines (enough to hold 18 rounds) you can use it. It might not be the most fun gun to shoot (you'll be reloading a lot and some shots will be long-ish) but it's legal!

22s are generally not allowed in IPDA matches.

I plan on competing this Friday and it will be my first IDPA match. I was wondering if it's 200rds or 100rds to complete all 6 stages?

I plan on competing this Friday and it will be my first IDPA match. I was wondering if it's 200rds or 100rds to complete all 6 stages?

I don't know the exact round count for this match, but each state is usually 12-18 rounds. I always bring 150 - 200 rounds just in case I have to reshoot a stage. I've seen someone have to shoot a stage 3 times due to equipment or prop malfunctions.

We'll see you there!

I don't know the exact round count for this match, but each state is usually 12-18 rounds. I always bring 150 - 200 rounds just in case I have to reshoot a stage. I've seen someone have to shoot a stage 3 times due to equipment or prop malfunctions.

We'll see you there!

I knew I should have went to the gun shop the other day and bought ammo. I decided today to compete so I only have about 120rds, hopefully it will be enough.

I knew I should have went to the gun shop the other day and bought ammo. I decided today to compete so I only have about 120rds, hopefully it will be enough.

You'll probably be fine. I'm sure there will be plenty of shooters (me included) willing to lend/give you some if you run out.

I was thinking of starting IDPA shooting in the spring. Is this match setup so I would be able to watch if I decide to not shoot?

Thanks.

If you have eye and ear protection you can watch the match. If you have a strong side holster, 3 magazines/speedloaders, and ammo why not give it a try now? Just let us know at registration that you are a new shooter and be sure to let the Safety Officers (SOs) running your squad know and we can take care of you. Just go slow and be safe when starting out.

Most stages at a club match have only 1 string of fire, but sometimes there may be more than one. Per IDPA rules the maximum round count per string is 18 rounds - so 6 stages X 18 rounds = 108 rounds. It would be unusual for all six stages to have 18 rounds on every one of them. You should have extra ammo because on most stages you are allowed to take make-up shots so you may end up shooting more than 18 rounds required on the stage. If you have 150 you should have more than enough. @MSteele - your 120 rounds should be enough.

This match has an indoor stage so if you have a flashlight bring it. If you don't have one come to the match anyway and one of the shooters will let you borrow a light.

Hope to see you all there tomorrow, Happy Thanksgiving!

And lastly, do they rank guys and gals separately? thanks for patience with a newbe

There is recognition for "High Lady" score.

I was thinking of starting IDPA shooting in the spring. Is this match setup so I would be able to watch if I decide to not shoot?

Thanks.

Warning, if you show up just to be a spectator, you will regret it as soon as the first shots are fired! bring as much of the required stuff as you can, if you need anything post it everybody has extra stuff, you'll have fun.

As of 720am Littleton county road is. Closed

Alternate route is suggested

Littleton County Road, north of the Club has been under construction.
The road is open for traffic but many sections remain unpaved. The road
is passable but rough. An alternate route is to come in from the south
as follows:

Rte I-495 to Exit 28, Route 111.

Head North on Route 111.
Go through traffic lights at Swanson Road,
Turn right onto Littleton County Road.
Stay right with Littleton County Road at Oak Hill Road split.
Continue approximately 1.8 miles to HSC on right.

2011 Cold Turkey Match Results

On behalf of Match Director Michael Joffe and the entire Metro West Tactical IDPA team, thanks to the 71 shooters who came out and made our fifth annual Cold Turkey match a success.

My apologies to Alan Palmer - there was no time entered for your Stage 4 "Mad Dogs" stage so I had to give you a DNF (Did Not Finish) for that stage. That ends up giving you a DNF for the match, however, you can look on the stage details report to see how you did on the other five stages compared to the rest of the shooters.

Any scoring questions, please email me at [email protected]

Regards,
John Catterall

Attachments

• NOV11 MWT Match Results.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
  • NOV11 MWT Stage Details.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 21
Great match today! Thanks to Michael, John, and all the SO's and ASO's for the great day! The stages were challenging and also fun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom