• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

code blue cover scents?

Broc

NES Member
does anyone have any experience using code blue?

I bought some fox urine cover scent (it stinks) at KTP this weekend. Did anyone use fox cover scent before?

not the cover scent, but I've used their doe estrus. I like that it's all from "one deer" vs. some of the others who blend several animals' pee together. Not sure it REALLY matters, though... let us know your results.

not the cover scent, but I've used their doe estrus. I like that it's all from "one deer" vs. some of the others who blend several animals' pee together. Not sure it REALLY matters, though... let us know your results.

did the does estrus work?

Nope. I just walk up to the first pine tree and grab some leaves and rub them on my hands and body. Seems to work, and the smell of pine is a lot nicer then fox urine.

Nope. I just walk up to the first pine tree and grab some leaves and rub them on my hands and body. Seems to work, and the smell of pine is a lot nicer then fox urine.

This.
I use pine needles and other aromatic leaves. "Grind" them up and rub on my camo.
If Im in a ground blind I make sure to kick the dirt up on the ground around where Im sitting.
I also use the dirt scented wafers.
Another thing I do is use the tarsal glands off the deer I shoot. I shot a big doe the other day that smelled pretty heavy. I am hanging her tarsal glands slightly down wind of me as both a cover scent and an attractant. Buck tarsals work well also.

did the does estrus work?

I went all-out with this code blue stuff. I set up my blind in a likely spot two weeks ahead of time.

On the day before shotgun season opened I went out & made some mock scrapes & put a few drops of estrus in each, and also put some drops of doe estrus on a rock wall . I hung the Code Blue 'drop time dispenser' that sprays out a small plume of pee at 20-minute increments from a well-placed pine. I also hung a few pieces of cotton gun cleaning patches (using tie-wraps) from branches around the perimeter of my spot, with a couple drops of estrus on each. I pretty much used up the whole 1oz bottle. So if a deer DIDN'T smell this stuff, its nose must've been broken.

Results? A buck 'shat' on the spot on the rock wall before I even came back Monday, and he sniffed and wheezed at me as I was walking in that morning, and again on my way OUT Tuesday after sunset. So the urine definitely attracted (kept) deer in the area.

Also, Tuesday afternoon while I was sitting in my Doghouse blind, a woman and her dog (both wearing blaze orange) came walking through the area, and the dog rolled around on my scrape. She's talking to her dog "Now what are you getting into? What are you rolling in?" when she hears my whipsered voice coming out of nowhere:

"Deer Pee! Your dog is rolling in deer urine!"

She quickly figured out where my voice was coming from, and she & the dog moved on quickly... I thought it was pretty funny, and the whole episode broke up my boredom. (I was reading a book a lot of my time otherwise...)

I ended up shooting my deer while still-hunting less than a hundred yards away, on my way in to my spot after sunrise on the fifth morning.

I knew from previous scouting trips and from getting sniffed at Monday morning and Tuesday night that there WAS a decent-size deer in the area. I'd like to think it was my "expert doe estrus application skills" that kept him there so I could get a shot on him.

That, and peeing underneath every treestand I saw... (j/k)

YMMV

Last edited:
That, and peeing underneath every treestand I saw... (j/k)
lol

nice. i will be using the scents as cover for coyote hunting, but i will go out with my musket next week and will get a deer tag just in case one comes by. I got the fox Urine and Doe urine. See which one works best.

Back
Top Bottom