• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blue Hills deer

Just a quick note, this morning was dead drifting some trout nymphs at a spot not far from the Blue Hills Parkway and spooked a great looking buck, big and very healthy looking (8 pts.) , 30 ft. Away , it was bedding in reeds and must have got my scent . . one grunt and sauntered off. . . tracks all over the Blue Hills today, everywhere I slipped in to flog some brooks for tiny brookies there were tracks. . . . good luck hunting there this week

I got picked the first year they opened it. But I didn't like how they were running the program so I declined to participate. Basically I HAD to hunt every day it was open (Mon and Tue for 2 weeks), I was confined to a small area and I could only hunt until noon (lost evening which I actually prefer, especially on new land).

They didn't tell me any of that until AFTER they picked me. Once I saw that I wrote them back and said thanks but no thanks. They said If I don't fulfill my "obligation" (obligation was an interesting choice of words considering I was volunteering to help them!) that I would never be eligible/able to hunt the blue hills ever again. I said that's fine, I'm good.

I got picked the first year they opened it. But I didn't like how they were running the program so I declined to participate. Basically I HAD to hunt every day it was open (Mon and Tue for 2 weeks), I was confined to a small area and I could only hunt until noon (lost evening which I actually prefer, especially on new land).

They didn't tell me any of that until AFTER they picked me. Once I saw that I wrote them back and said thanks but no thanks. They said If I don't fulfill my "obligation" (obligation was an interesting choice of words considering I was volunteering to help them!) that I would never be eligible/able to hunt the blue hills ever again. I said that's fine, I'm good.

I stopped doing the controlled hunts for the same reasons. Too much nonsense.

Bob

Bob
Let them “eat pheasants until it comes out of their nose” then if they show such disrespect for hunters who go out of their way to help cull the population. I would never sign up for that hunt.

Bob
Same here. Veteran hunters don't like controlled hunts, because your hands are always friggin tied in some manner that your not used to. The worst are when they put you in some block of woods and tell you you can't cross boundaries. Most of these hunts are done under a microscope too...screw that.

The Centennial watershed in CT was the only one that ran pretty well, 200 permits, you got the permit, they gave you a map..... You could scout and hunt and not be bothered much. I took lots of deer there the first few years with the bow.

This new Sudbury Res isn't bad....but it'll be wasted in just a year with the easy permits given in all seasons and manners of take.

Same here. Veteran hunters don't like controlled hunts, because your hands are always friggin tied in some manner that your not used to. The worst are when they put you in some block of woods and tell you you can't cross boundaries. Most of these hunts are done under a microscope too...screw that.

The Centennial watershed in CT was the only one that ran pretty well, 200 permits, you got the permit, they gave you a map..... You could scout and hunt and not be bothered much. I took lots of deer there the first few years with the bow.

This new Sudbury Res isn't bad....but it'll be wasted in just a year with the easy permits given in all seasons and manners of take.
I scouted Sudbury hard two weeks ago. Lots of prime spots but I agree that after a year it will transmute into super pressured public land and there’s not too much of it.

Centennial was great. You got your permit and hunted. No bull crap. The nonsense and stupid rules take the fun out of it for me So I don’t go. There are always plenty of people to fill the slots.

I scouted Sudbury hard two weeks ago. Lots of prime spots but I agree that after a year it will transmute into super pressured public land and there’s not too much of it.

I haven’t been out there and probably won’t. It’s getting too hard to get around for me.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom