Cochlear implants

Anyone here shoot that has Cochlear implants.
Do you just take them off or is there something else that can be done. My grandson has one in one ear and it will be a challenge trying to train him if he cant hear me. He does have a little hearing in one ear but it is not great.

Thanks

Need to discuss with his doc!

This.

No experience with Cochlear implants, but I do understand the technology (truly amazing) but my granddaughter uses hearing aids. When I take her to the range, she takes them off. But before she removes them, we go over all the safety rules and how we are going to communicate with hearing protection on. I keep a small note pad with me. We stay very close and no distractions.

By the way, out of all shooting experiences, shooting with my young granddaughter is absolutely the best. Oh, while she can handle my Beretta fine, the .22 LR Browning Buckmark Camper is a perfect fit. Lots of smiles during our "Papa time". [smile]

Jay

Actually, after thinking about it, especially in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, I would rethink talking to their doctor.

Last edited:
Is he signing? Learn some American Sign Language. You don't need to be fluent, just need a few key words and phrases.

This. No experience with Cochlear implants, but I do understand the technology (truly amazing) but my granddaughter uses hearing aids. When I take her to the range, she takes them off. But before she removes them, we go over all the safety rules and how we are going to communicate with hearing protection on. I keep a small note pad with me. We stay very close and no distractions.

By the way, out of all shooting experiences, shooting with my young granddaughter is absolutely the best. Oh, while she can handle my Beretta fine, the .22 LR Browning Buckmark Camper is a perfect fit. Lots of smiles during our "Papa time". [smile]

Jay
I know it will be a blast and he has always been obsessed with gun. If he removes the cochlear he is basically deaf in that ear. He does have partial hearing in the other ear but after you add the hearing protection it will be close to zero. It is times like these that i wish I had gone with the wife to sign language classes [frown].
Did you start her on rifles or pistols, just currious

- - - Updated - - -

Need to discuss with his doc!

This is not a topic I want to bring up with his doctor.

- - - Updated - - -

Is he signing? Learn some American Sign Language. You don't need to be fluent, just need a few key words and phrases.
Ya he signs better than he talks, unfortunately I have very little signing experience as he can hear with his "hardware" on.

I know it will be a blast and he has always been obsessed with gun. If he removes the cochlear he is basically deaf in that ear. He does have partial hearing in the other ear but after you add the hearing protection it will be close to zero. It is times like these that i wish I had gone with the wife to sign language classes [frown].
Did you start her on rifles or pistols, just currious

- - - Updated - - -

This is not a topic I want to bring up with his doctor.

Yes, after rethinking, I would not discuss with his doctor.

Pistol's only, for now. My rifles are kinda on the heavy side.

Jay

I wonder if there is a phone app you can speak, and it translates into text ?

(sort of like Dragon Dictate)

That would be a way to communicate.

When I worked at a big company one of the corporate attorneys who had a cochlear implant gave a lecture on patents, and was able to answer all questions from the audience without any interpreter.

When I worked at a big company one of the corporate attorneys who had a cochlear implant gave a lecture on patents, and was able to answer all questions from the audience without any interpreter.

It is a really cool technology for sure. He is due for a new one and they are supposed to be even better. Unfortunately insurance will only cover the replacement every 5 years or so. My daughter who works to support him and my granddaughter can not afford to buy it out of pocket. They are like 10K. The sad part is if she was on public assistance they would pay for it tomorrow. I raised her better than that.

The sad part is if she was on public assistance they would pay for it tomorrow. I raised her better than that.

When it comes to LEGAL CITIZENS I have no hesitation in providing them Public Assistance in matters like this.

The rest deserve NOTHING but a ride home.

When it comes to LEGAL CITIZENS I have no hesitation in providing them Public Assistance in matters like this.

The rest deserve NOTHING but a ride home.
The problem is it is not available because she works for a living. It is truly enraging when you see the way the system works from the inside.

Have you tried electronic ear muffs with the volume turned way up. He may be able to hear well enough with the amplification.

Have you tried electronic ear muffs with the volume turned way up. He may be able to hear well enough with the amplification.

I was thinking the same thing only you might want to look at high end set like Peltor rather then the low end muffs like Howard Leight. My hearing is half shot and the Peltor Tactical Pro headphones are comfortable and amplify voice but cut gunfire. They're not cheap around $200 but worth it to protect what hearing the child has left.

Haven't tried anything yet, the issue with cochlear implants is the ear is not where the sound is picked up. It is picked up through the device and transferred to the inner workings of the ear.

I shoot with a friend who has the implants. She removes them and uses amplified ear protection. When giving instruction, I make sure she sees my lips moving as I suspect that is how she really "hears" on the range. My friend is an adult, so take that into consideration.

Best regards.

Haven't tried anything yet, the issue with cochlear implants is the ear is not where the sound is picked up. It is picked up through the device and transferred to the inner workings of the ear.

Yes, I know that, but you said he has some hearing in one ear. Given that, amplified muffs may be suitable in his one functioning ear for your purposes. Heck, give it a try and see if if he can hear well enough to take instruction.

Yes, I know that, but you said he has some hearing in one ear. Given that, amplified muffs may be suitable in his one functioning ear for your purposes. Heck, give it a try and see if if he can hear well enough to take instruction.
Yup, that was the plan. i was just hoping there may have been someone who had come up with some sort of whiz bang solution to the issue.

I shoot with a friend who has the implants. She removes them and uses amplified ear protection. When giving instruction, I make sure she sees my lips moving as I suspect that is how she really "hears" on the range. My friend is an adult, so take that into consideration.

Best regards.
If she has implants in both ears and takes them off, why is she even bothering with ear muffs, just curious. Just to satisfy range rules ? Does the percussion bother her without them. I am not questioning you I am just curious.

If she has implants in both ears and takes them off, why is she even bothering with ear muffs, just curious. Just to satisfy range rules ? Does the percussion bother her without them. I am not questioning you I am just curious.

I didn't ask her and may never ask. Consider the implants have to connect to a non-removable connector that is surgically connected to nerves and "stuff." I would imagine that the sound of gunfire whether she "hears it or not" would have some sort of a negative impact on her electronics and wiring.

Best regards.

I didn't ask her and may never ask. Consider the implants have to connect to a non-removable connector that is surgically connected to nerves and "stuff." I would imagine that the sound of gunfire whether she "hears it or not" would have some sort of a negative impact on her electronics and wiring.

Best regards.
I thought they "connected" by inductive coupling, and it was easy to detach the external unit.

Another recommendation to try electronic muffs. I have been diagnosed with profound hearing loss (hereditary) and wear bilateral hearing aids. I take them out at the range b/c of fears of loss. Muffs tend to knock them off and those little suckers are $4000 each! With muffs on and no aids I am scary deaf. I bought a pair of electronic muffs at Wally's and I can hear really well with them although they are turned up to the max. Well worth trying IMHO.

I'm deaf. I wear hearing aids but without them, I really can't follow anything. I take them out to shoot and have to put them back on to hear. It's a real pain but it is what it is and I need to make people aware of this when I'm at the range getting instruction. With an implant, I imagine they too can remove them to shoot, but like me, it's a disadvantage, although I don't see how to avoid it. If I can make a suggestion, go over the guns you plan to use prior to heading to the range. Use snap caps to demonstrate and give your grandchild a chance to ask questions and get guidance. One woman I bought hearing aids from was a lady shooter herself and that was real nice.

My little lady is deaf in one ear, but hears fine in the other. I learned sign because she can't hear me in noisy environments. She can't locate things by sound, either, interestingly enough. ASL an awesome skill to have and would advise anyone learn it - it comes in handy when you least expect it.

Back
Top Bottom