CMP Garand problem

Got my Garand from CMP a few weeks back. Did a partial refinish of the furniture to take out some of the really bad dents and put a new stain on it, and took it out to shoot today.

Nothing happened. The firing pin is light striking. I field stripped and looked at the bolt. It seems like the hammer is fine, but the part of the firing pin that gets hit seems to look a little odd to me. Does anyone have a picture of the back of their M1 bolt so I can see if mine is bad?

Thanks. Looked like the end of the firing pin got torn off at some point in the past. I'll have to order a new one. Are they something that I should do myself or is it advisable to have a gunsmith do it?

You can do it yourself, but check the protrusion if possible. Not sure what the spec. is, but Google is your friend.

Also do yourself a favor and get a new op rod spring while your at it. It's not a bad idea to replace other springs if your up to it and want to spend a little money.

B

Thanks. Looked like the end of the firing pin got torn off at some point in the past. I'll have to order a new one. Are they something that I should do myself or is it advisable to have a gunsmith do it?

My quick reply would be find a reputable garand smith and have the whole section checked out. Given the age of these weapons, and variations, and conditions, I'd suggest a professional have at it. Their ruggedness is testimony to their design, but as in all things, maintainence is the key. Good luck.
CJ

Thanks. I'll probably look into a gunsmith. It's a Field Grade greek return (one of the last) so it may have other issues that I didn't see upon inspection.

Contact CMP and tell them what happened. I had the rear of the firing break on mine after I got it and they sent a pin out. I did also contact Orion7 and grabbed a couple from him too!

Joe R.

Call CMP Customer Serivce and they will make it right.

From http://www.odcmp.com/faqs.htm:

> I just received the rifle and it won’t function correctly. What do I do?
>
> If your rifle won’t function correctly, send an email to
> [email protected] describing the problem and someone will contact
> you. If you do not have email capability call (256) 835-8455 for assistance.

Then buy spare parts -- a new oprod spring is a good idea.

I just got a response, they are sending me a new firing pin. That problem solved, I probably still want to get it checked out before I try firing it again. Field grades are in sound mechanical condition but certainly not perfect.

It's not what grade that is the problem, it's the age overall. My CMP M-1 is a Greek Service Grade with a HRA receiver. Metal gets brittle with age and solvents. Pissed me off as I was shooting a match and didn't have a spare one. Orion7 ( guy down on L.I., NY ) has parts and is sometimes at the Springfield show. You show have spare extractors, firing pins, op-rod spring, and other parts to replace for breakage.

Joe R.

No, no, you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that the rifle probably isn't in perfect working order to begin with and that I want to have it checked out. I certainly understand that age and wear is why half the firing pin is missing.

I will probably pick those parts up along with some others (maybe a flash suppressor, depending on whether the en bloc clip is considered a detachable magazine or not it might be legal to have a flash suppressor and bayo lug without it being an assault weapon.)

I will probably pick those parts up along with some others (maybe a flash suppressor, depending on whether the en bloc clip is considered a detachable magazine or not it might be legal to have a flash suppressor and bayo lug without it being an assault weapon.)

As a clip is not a magazine, the en bloc clip hardly qualifies as a mag, detachable or otherwise. Moreover, the mag would have to hold OVER 10 rounds to qualify - that's at least 3 more than a Garand can hold.

Further, as Garands don't have detachable mags AND cannot hold more than 8 rounds, they CANNOT qualify as "assault weapons." Did you even READ the definition? [rolleyes]

The distinction between clip and mag is obvious to me, but not always to those who write the laws. Therefore, I have no idea how they defined the clip.

The distinction between clip and mag is obvious to me, but not always to those who write the laws. Therefore, I have no idea how they defined the clip.

"They" didn't - the statute specified that the firearm had to use a detachable "large capacity" magazine, which the Garand obviously does not.

Moreover, as the capacity clearly has to exceed 10 rounds for a rifle or handgun, "clip" or "mag" is utterly irrelevant. The Garand clip does not qualify. Period.

The utter absence of Garands from the "Large Capacity Firearms Roster" should have made that apparent. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom