CMP Carbine Headspacing

I recieved my CMP Carbine a couple of weeks ago. So far, I've only been able to give it a quick check. The one thing that really concerns me is the fact that the bolt seems extremely loose. Even when closed (but not with live round chambered) there seems to be quite a bit of fore and aft movement as well as "rocking" side to side. My CMP (DCM at the time) M1 Garand feels nice and solidly locked in contrast.

I've checked and tried to search on the CMP forum for confirmation that they checked headspace when assembling the bolts to the rifles but get conflicting stories. Even if they did, some folks on that forum recommend you always check headspace before live firing.

My question then is, do any of you folks have the required gages and, of course, the expertise to remove and disassemble the bolt to check the headspace? If you do, and would be willing to help a carbine newbie properly check out his new aquisition, please PM me. I am a member in the Mansfield and Hopkinton clubs. Thanks.

Don't remember where I saw it but somewhere it says that the CMP checks all guns and determines if they are in good operating condition and safe to shoot. That would indicate headspacing was checked to me.

Carbines (at least the ones I've seen) are all a bit 'rattley'.

Back
Top Bottom