• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine Lubrication Points

Garys

NES Member
My search skills must be weak because I can't find this information on line. I have a Kahr - Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine. I don't have an issue with it, but it needs a cleaning and lubrication. I've seen all sorts of debates on line about grease versus oil, but nothing about what areas need to be lubricated. Even the owners manual isn't very specific. I know that the GI versions came with an oiler, so lubrication is obviously necessary, but are there any areas I should pay special attention to.

BTW, event the 1942 Army manual is pretty vague on the topic.

Thanks.

I've seen that several time, the question is are the specific spots that need to be lubricated. Bolt body (not the head), recoil spring guide, slide, magazine catch, etc...

A pretty safe rule of thumb is, if it rolls oil it if it slides grease it.

Anywhere metal meets metal. Pins, rollers, channels, captured springs, sights that move.

I'm not an M1 carbine armorer, but it can't be too difficult to figure out where one needs lubrication.

Page 9 is cleaning and lubrication of an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine. Just as vague as the original manual, apparently. Just says: "Wipe all surfaces clean with cloth, then wipe all surfaces with a patch or cloth that has been very lightly oiled." Also mentions lightly oiling bore after cleaning.

Then again, this isn't rocket science. So a light application of oil anywhere two pieces come into friction seems like it makes sense.

Attachments

• aom1_manual.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
Apparently that's the "official" advice. I had it at the range yesterday and will get to cleaning it this week. No MilSurp ammo shot, so I don't have to immediately clean it. I'll clean the bore, chamber, and bolt face and give it a light coating of oil. I had a slight problem with the bolt cycling, but that was shooter induced and I've corrected it already.

Page 9 is cleaning and lubrication of an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine. Just as vague as the original manual, apparently. Just says: "Wipe all surfaces clean with cloth, then wipe all surfaces with a patch or cloth that has been very lightly oiled." Also mentions lightly oiling bore after cleaning.

Then again, this isn't rocket science. So a light application of oil anywhere two pieces come into friction seems like it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom