• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

clothes for hunting question

How important is what kind of camouflage? Is realtree vs. Mossy oak vs. stuff I find at the army surplus store vs. whatever going to make a difference or not? I know turkeys have good eyesight but for everything else it seems like you are just trying to break up your shape. I do want to hunt turkeys as well. I am ok with different items for different seasons.

I have nothing right now but I want to get things going and have no idea what to get.

Google was more confusing than not - but if there is a good resource out there I'd like to read it.

This is what got me thinking about it:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting-gear/2009/11/petzal-best-camo-hunting-away-home

Shape break up is key. I prefer 3d leaf suits as they let me wear whatever I want under. Unfortunately a lot of the box store camo really is meant to catch the eye of the hunter in the store.

Check out ASAT and predator camo.

Shape break up is key. I prefer 3d leaf suits as they let me wear whatever I want under. Unfortunately a lot of the box store camo really is meant to catch the eye of the hunter in the store.

Check out ASAT and predator camo.

I had a feeling that was the case. Thanks.

For turkeys camo is important. Most of the major brands will be fine if they match the general surrounds, meaning don't use something that is all brown in a mainly green habitat. Stay in the shadows and have some background cover, that is more important than the actual camo pattern IMO. Leafy suits work too I suppose, never used one. For deer, well, they see movement more than anything. Any camo or none at all is generally fine for deer. For turkeys cover your face and hands, they will pick that out quickly, deer will as well but not near as much especially if you are not moving. When archery hunting deer I definitely use camo since it's much closer contact typically (and I have it) and even then I still don't think its completely necessary. I definitely don't worry about which camo pattern it is when deer hunting.

steer clear of camo that looks better then the woods. Spring, early fall & rainy days I perfer Mossy Oak new break up and for late fall when the leaves have dropped realtree ap for the woods and max 4 for marshy or tall grass areas. Cover face & hands!

Thanks for the replies.

I'll add gloves and some kind of face covering to the list.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are going to be deer hunting with anything other than archery in Mass, you will need Orange.

That part I have covered. Vest and hat (I get the no orange for turkey part), extra if I get a bird.

Keep this in mind too. All camo cloths have UV brighteners to catch your eye, and make you think,"WOW, this is great looking camo!!" Make sure you wash that out with a soap that has UV killers or you will glow like a glow stick in low light conditions.

Keep this in mind too. All camo cloths have UV brighteners to catch your eye, and make you think,"WOW, this is great looking camo!!" Make sure you wash that out with a soap that has UV killers or you will glow like a glow stick in low light conditions.

I had no idea, thanks.

+1 on several things.
Camo gloves and facecovering a must. (I use full headnet over hat to keep bugs away from face).
I have used all types of camo sucessfully. Important to break up your outline.
I have camo on turkey guns, but my buddy is very sucessful without doing that. But I recommend it.
On turkeys, dont worry about sent control (I use plenty of bug spray!). But they as fast or faster than deer to pick up noise and movement.
Also use sportwash to kill UV brighteners.

Last edited:

The big thing is that regular detergent has UV brighteners. Definitely use a sport wash. Scent is irrelevant for turkeys. For deer, well that discussion has as many opinions as people you ask, just like what is the best caliber. I try and keep scent down to a minimum. Playing the wind is critical. IMO you cannot eliminate scent, only reduce it, hence playing the wind.

The big thing is that regular detergent has UV brighteners. Definitely use a sport wash. Scent is irrelevant for turkeys. For deer, well that discussion has as many opinions as people you ask, just like what is the best caliber. I try and keep scent down to a minimum. Playing the wind is critical. IMO you cannot eliminate scent, only reduce it, hence playing the wind.

they definitely stressed the importance of that in the class.

Scent control , hunt into wind , keep movement to minimal if stand hunting deer. Store hunting gear in plastic bags with cover sent wafers like dirt or earth scent might help. I love to take a slow walk on rainy hunting days, woods are wet and quiet, stay alert you'll see deer !

Scent control , hunt into wind , keep movement to minimal if stand hunting deer. Store hunting gear in plastic bags with cover sent wafers like dirt or earth scent might help. I love to take a slow walk on rainy hunting days, woods are wet and quiet, stay alert you'll see deer !

I can do that, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom