• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(CLOSED)Looking for Volunteers (50 cal ammo cans) Free stuff

Buggin

Dealer
NES Member
OK, I got my 10 volunteers. Thanks everyone.

Back story.

I had a guy come into my shop wondering if it would be cheaper to have some 50 cal ammo can locks made rather than buy them for 10.00 on ebay. (FYI, if you know anything about machine shops, this is seldom true) So after looking some of them up (and being thoroughly unimpressed with what I found) I developed my own version and ran some off. These are gen 1 and I've already got some improvements in mind.

I'm looking for some folks with the military style cans that are willing to try a couple. All I want is some honest feed back.

It will involve drilling a 1/2" hole in your can. I'm including a rubber washer to maintain water tightness.

Let me know and I'll ship them to you.

The first 10 folks will get 2 sets each.

Last edited:
will this not work for .30 cans as well? i only have one .50 can that isn't filled with sand (CFT training), this is why i ask.

Most 30's have a huge hole in the front for some reason. A big washer will take care of that. It will be part of a package later on.
If you have a 30 with a 1/2" hole in it, or want to get the washer yourself. I'll add you to the list.

2 down so far.

figure out how to make it for 40mm cans and I will buy a few (yes, I know that they are double opening cans as opposed to single sided opening ones like the .50 cal ones)...

figure out how to make it for 40mm cans and I will buy a few (yes, I know that they are double opening cans as opposed to single sided opening ones like the .50 cal ones)...

OK, I've got a 40 MM can sitting beside me. It will work on them. It's a 1/2" slot as opposed to a hole. All you need is 2 of them.
PM me your details and I'll send you a test batch.

I have plenty of 50cal cans. I could easily use a couple as test samples if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakar652 scoops number 9

And Peteyb scoops the last.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to seeing the feeding back and I'll let everyone know the results.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping that these can be used on the 81mm box as well as the traditional ammo can.
81mmmortarcan.jpg

Haven't had a need to lock this one, but will re-purpose it if I'll be able to start locking it.

It's really hard to see how those clasp on so I can't say. If I can find one close to me that I can eyeball, I might be able to come up with something if these don't work.

And for those post "in" It wasn't a Karma. I closed it after the first ten responses. Post # 16.
If the feed back is positive enough, I'll Karma some off after. Then when gen 2 comes out, I talk to Derek to see what I have to do to sell them on here.
At a discounted rate for green members of course.[wink]

It's really hard to see how those clasp on so I can't say. If I can find one close to me that I can eyeball, I might be able to come up with something if these don't work.

It's a double hinge on the front (vertical) side, the latch is an upside-down 'L' that snaps over the top edge of the lid.

I will put some pictures tonight when I get home, and will test your locks on my 81mm can when I get them.

Last edited:
Got my prototypes in the mail today. Here are a few pictures:

First, this is how my can was previously locked. I had drilled a 1/2" hole, stuck a cutoff 7.62x54R casing in it, and put a lock on it.

And here is the prototype lock post installed:

The prototype had a couple of advantages over the cut off casing. First, it had a nut and a gasket, which maintains the watertight seal of my can. Second, it is much stronger. The soft brass of the casing could have easily been ripped out without any tools.

On the negative side, the way the hole in the locking handle lines up with the lock post, you kind of have to force the handle over the post. It's not terribly difficult, it's just a matter of geometry in rotating a moving hole over a fixed post.

With the old casing, I could tilt it up to fit into the handle hole, but I also ran the risk of pushing the whole thing back into the can. I like this new method much better.

Overall, I give it a thumbs-up. I've got another can or two already drilled with the same 54R casing lock method. I'm going to install the second prototype on one of them and will report back if there is any difference. I don't expect any surprises.

I don't know what the retail cost is going to be, but I would definitely pick up some more of these when they are available.

Thanks for the opportunity to test these out.

And here's the second prototype. I took a few more pictures of the device itself. This one is on a larger ammo can. This one worked out better than the first - I think the lock handle on the other can was bent, or the hole offset, because this one closes nice and smoothly.

You don't want to know where I keep the real baby pictures...

Last edited:
Glad you like them.
I purposely made the thread relief a little wider than it needed to be so they can be adjusted to line up. This worked great until I switched to the flat washers. That only left a little room for adjustment.

Gen 2 will have a wider groove to compensate. They will also be made from stainless steel.

These steel ones will be retailing for 10.00 and the stainless for 12.00.
I'll probably give a price break for 10 and over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom