Close call

Walther (Smith & Wesson) is sending a shipping label to return it to them for repair. The representative that I spoke to made it sound like no big deal and that they do this every day. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I cleaned and inspected this right before she shot it, and I didn't notice any cracks, nor did anything snag when wiping it down. That's not to say I didn't miss it. I'll be checking for fatigue a little more closely from now on.

Nat is doing well, you can hardly tell she got hit. We iced it immediately after it happened, so I think we kept the swelling down considerably. Her glasses, on the other hand, need some work. May have to replace a lens and have the frames adjusted.

Also, from Nat: Thank you all for your concern. It's appreciated and just goes to show how cool the NES community is!

Nat is doing well, you can hardly tell she got hit. We iced it immediately after it happened, so I think we kept the swelling down considerably. Her glasses, on the other hand, need some work. May have to replace a lens and have the frames adjusted.

I would hit up S&W for that. Their gun should not have let go.

I would hit up S&W for that. Their gun should not have let go.

I'll ask. I'm not one of those "sue-happy, ambulance chasing" folks, so I'm not sure of the proper procedure, if there is one. It would be nice to recoup the cost of the repair to the glasses at least. Any advice would be appreciated, especially if someone here has gone through this before.

HardJeepGuy said:
I'll ask. I'm not one of those "sue-happy, ambulance chasing" folks, so I'm not sure of the proper procedure, if there is one. It would be nice to recoup the cost of the repair to the glasses at least. Any advice would be appreciated, especially if someone here has gone through this before.

I suggest that you be polite. Send them a picture of the gun, your girlfriend's face, and her glasses. In the letter, tell them that you are grateful that she wasn't seriously injured, and that you are disappointed that this happened, given your high regard for S&W's products. Tell that since her glasses were broken due to the failure of S&W's product, you feel it is appropriate for them to reimburse you for the glasses.

Don't mention anything about lawyers and lawsuits. Keep the letter cordial. Make sure that everything in the letter is factual.

I'm not a sue happy guy either, but I think that S&W bears responsibility here.

Last edited:
I suggest that you be polite. Send them a picture of the gun, your girlfriend's face, and her glasses. In the letter, tell them that you are grateful that she wasn't seriously injured, and that you are disappointed that this happened, given your high regard for S&W's products. Tell that since her glasses were broken due to the failure of S&W'S product, you feel it is appropriate for them to reimburse you for the glasses.

Don't mention anything about lawyers and lawsuits. Keep the letter cordial. Make sure that everything in the letter is factual.

I'm not a sue happy guy either, but I think that S&W'S bears responsibility here.

This!

Flies and honey.

S&W has been a stand up company every time I've had to deal with them.
You are not going to do anyone any favors by waltzing in with a chip on your shoulder and being demanding.

this is hopefully an instance when a picture is worth 1k words (and some reimbursement cash)...i'm also curious if the ruger sr-22 is made of the same stuff...

Glad she's OK. Don't let NBC find out or they will do an investigative report on how there is an epidemic of P22s with exploding parts.

MST_2009:2344246 said:
Glad she's OK. Don't let NBC find out or they will do an investigative report on how there is an epidemic of P22s with exploding parts.

And they will use C4 to recreate the event

I do not understand you people, This girl could have been killed. That is what is wrong with this country. They sell us low quality shit and when it breaks we take it up the ass and say its ok. See if they give you new glasses ! F^#k the glasses see what money they are going to give you for almost killing your girl friend.

We were plinking at our cabin in VT this past week when my girlfriend had a close call with my Walther P-22. 9th round in a ten round mag and *bang*, she caught the slide in her right cheek/glasses. She ended with a bit of a shiner for a couple days, but no lasting injury. No picture of her per her request. The slide broke about 1/2" behind the "compensator" and flew straight back into her face. Apologies for the crappy pics. iPhone and a dark cabin did not make taking detailed pics easy.

22b1e792.jpg

9bd24c83.jpg

4076ef5a.jpg

323dd666.jpg

Don't try and hide a domestic dispute by blaming the firearm. just kidding good to hear no one got hurt and to add only a walther could be taken down by the sheer pwoer of the 22.

I do not understand you people, This girl could have been killed. That is what is wrong with this country. They sell us low quality shit and when it breaks we take it up the ass and say its ok. See if they give you new glasses ! F^#k the glasses see what money they are going to give you for almost killing your girl friend.

Sorry, but almost doesn't cut it. She did not need medical attention, so the only direct cost caused by the failure was the glasses. It seems to me that the only grounds to sue would be over pain and suffering, and as she only got a bruise, the pain and suffering isn't worth suing over.

Yes, it could have been much worse. But it wasn't.

So what else do you want S&W to do? Pay them money for damages they didn't incur?

We were plinking at our cabin in VT this past week when my girlfriend had a close call with my Walther P-22. 9th round in a ten round mag and *bang*, she caught the slide in her right cheek/glasses. She ended with a bit of a shiner for a couple days, but no lasting injury. No picture of her per her request. The slide broke about 1/2" behind the "compensator" and flew straight back into her face. Apologies for the crappy pics. iPhone and a dark cabin did not make taking detailed pics easy.

22b1e792.jpg

9bd24c83.jpg

4076ef5a.jpg

323dd666.jpg

Just wondering.....

Is this more likely to happen with the extended barrel configuration? Does the slide returning forward and hard stopping on the extension cause additional stress resulting is higher probability of stress fractures?

We need new range rules. From now on, eye protection in some acceptable form and face protection in some form, ie. a goalie's mask, will be required.

We need new range rules. From now on, eye protection in some acceptable form and face protection in some form, ie. a goalie's mask, will be required.
Better yet, install lexan through which you reach to get to your gun and shoot.

All shooters must wear mittens and helmets...

Just wondering.....

Is this more likely to happen with the extended barrel configuration? Does the slide returning forward and hard stopping on the extension cause additional stress resulting is higher probability of stress fractures?

Highly unlikely it's the extension. The stress looks like it's from the front stopping on the "back swing". The front of the slide takes a lot of stress in lockup designs but apparently even here too. Besides, if the extension was getting hit with the slide, it would go flying. The extensions don't stay on too well under ideal circumstances.

Highly unlikely it's the extension. The stress looks like it's from the front stopping on the "back swing". The front of the slide takes a lot of stress in lockup designs but apparently even here too. Besides, if the extension was getting hit with the slide, it would go flying. The extensions don't stay on too well under ideal circumstances.
Agreed, it is stopping at the rear of its stroke by the front of the slide hitting that stop..

Notice it cracked where the hole is drilled for the front sight without the barrel extension (there is a plug there in this model).

So, my guess is that at the extreme of travel backwards as the case is ejected it hits the slide stop and flexes at the point where there is the least metal to stop it (at the front sight hole).

At that point in the cycle, there is little support on the rails and a good chunk of the slide is now hanging off the back. In fact, there is so little rail contact to the frame at this point in the cycle that this is how you take the slide off.

Glad to hear your girl is ok, as that could have gone a lot worse! I agree with others that S&W should step up and at the very least cover the glasses, but the right thing to do would be to let you choose a replacement gun of better quality. I personally wouldn't want that p.o.s. back after that. I would want a store credit for the full retail value to use for something nicer.

Wow man. Glad the gf is ok and not traumatized!

Just another reminder why I steer clear of anything made by S&W with the Walther banner on it. Sorry Smith-made Walther lovers, I just don't trust any of it.

This makes one wonder about the Ruger SR-22.

According to the SR-22 Instruction Manual, "This pistol . . . features an aircraft-grade aluminum alloy slide . . . ." (Page 11.)

While a small amount (on the order of 4%?) of aluminum is a constituent of some (perhaps all) of the various ZAMAK alloys, I doubt it to be "aircraft-grade." Indeed, the term "aircraft-grade" doesn't modify "aluminum," but rather modifies "alloy."

Maybe someone here has enough connections at Ruger to find out exactly what alloy (by ASTM number) is used in the SR-22 slide?

If someone has one that they don't mind stripping the coating off I have access to one of these!

Back
Top Bottom