• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning products for a .45 SA!

I want to get a Bore Snake for my M&P .45

It has a bunch of carbon buildup on the slide, a lot of which I have removed. Does anyone have recommendations for cleaning stuff for .45's?

I am going shopping tomorrow for some .45 cleaning supplies, as well as some additional ammo! :)

Anything I should look out for (or avoid) for a .45?

I want to get a Bore Snake for my M&P .45

It has a bunch of carbon buildup on the slide, a lot of which I have removed. Does anyone have recommendations for cleaning stuff for .45's?

I am going shopping tomorrow for some .45 cleaning supplies, as well as some additional ammo! :)

Anything I should look out for (or avoid) for a .45?

Make sure you don't get the 9mm clp - it will shrink your bore.

Standard pistol cleaning kit should have pretty much everything you need to clean a SA .45... Nylon gun cleaning brush will go a long way. Get some dental picks to use in the hard to reach areas (you can get them in nylon so no scratching if you're paranoid). You can also use the picks with patches to collect the crud.

Where are you getting 'a bunch of carbon buildup on the slide'?? If it's getting bad, you can also use brake cleaner to douche it down. Just be sure to let it evaporate fully before you apply lube.

Standard pistol cleaning kit should have pretty much everything you need to clean a SA .45... Nylon gun cleaning brush will go a long way. Get some dental picks to use in the hard to reach areas (you can get them in nylon so no scratching if you're paranoid). You can also use the picks with patches to collect the crud.

Where are you getting 'a bunch of carbon buildup on the slide'?? If it's getting bad, you can also use brake cleaner to douche it down. Just be sure to let it evaporate fully before you apply lube.

It's used.

I got a 250 pack of patches, plus a bore snake and a .38-.45 cleaning kit. I ran a bunch of patches through it and put more cleaner on the slide, it seems to be working.

The guy I bought the "Pro-Gun" cleaning kit (made in the USA...whoa!) said his son had got one and loved it, which was good to hear. I'm working on the bore now and have been cleaning the slide which is pretty clean now.

If you run the bore snake up through the mag well, it will also clean the slide. If there is an excess amount carbon buildup, Break Free makes an excellent solvent based spray cleaner. Just curious, but where on the slide are you getting carbon buildup ? Sometimes people will over lubricate, and the lube acts like a sponge for carbon deposits. Over time, that can also cause carbon buildup. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom