Cleaning .223 Brass Results

Patriot

NES Member
Well,

This proved to be a disaster. I dumped a couple of dozen pieces of brass in the corn cob
media and let it run for a few hours and what I wound up with is a couple of dozen pieces of
brass stuffed tight with media. I'm thinking I need some finer crushed walnut for this stuff.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Yeah, you want it pretty find (not as fine as flour), but fine. If you have something you can grind it up with you should be able to use it.

Also, don't forget brass polish :)

Yep... been there, done that. [smile]

+1 on the crushed walnut. You can buy 5 lbs bags of it at most pet stores.

Some advice from experience. If you do this as I did the best solution to getting the
jammed media out is to empty the media out of the vibrator except for the brass and
let it run for a couple of hours. What doesn't come out, loosens up. There was a few
cases than needed some assist but for the most part it worked and the brass didn't get
dinged up very much, if at all.

Was this the corn cob kitty litter stuff? I had an issue using it...

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18680

Yeah, from Wally World though, not PETCO. It's not small by any means, just small enough
to get into the .223 cases and not be able to get out. I too had a terrible time digging it
out and as I had around 40 pieces of brass caked with the stuff I had to figure out a way
to get it out or I was just going to toss the brass.

I have been using Anderson's Grit O'Cobb 1014 for many years with no problems. About $22 per 50 lb bag at Beede in Lowell 978-452-8906. Works great with 223 cases.

Walnut shells for cleaning, corn cob for polishing.

Generally, I run it through the walnut shells before sizing, and rifle brass goes through the corn cob after sizing, to remove the lube residue.

Walnut from Walmart

My Walmart stopped carrying the stuff. So did the local pet supply chain. I have to try Petco next week. I'm totally out of it.

I used a small drill bit to remove the corn media. It will cake if you use any cleaning solution with the media. I find the walnut much better.

My Walmart stopped carrying the stuff. So did the local pet supply chain. I have to try Petco next week. I'm totally out of it.

I used a small drill bit to remove the corn media. It will cake if you use any cleaning solution with the media. I find the walnut much better.

I just stopped into my local PETCO and picked up a bag of the crushed walnut.
It's in the lizard section. 10.99 for five pounds.

Back
Top Bottom