class plan, order, location

I see a lot of good reviews on different classes. I'm sure there are different teaching styles, methods, etcetera.

I think I want to take a GOAL class for starters, and most likely a legal type class through GOAL as well. I just read a good review on the "Phil Donahue" (I guess this is not the talk show host), and have heard good things about Jim Conway and NEShooters, as well as Bettencourt, and of course Ayoob.

What I am wondering is if there is any order of which I might want to do these in, and if so, what that might be. Again, I would likely start with the basic training through GOAL, and proceed from there.

The other thing is to start more locally, which to me is Central Massachusetts (again, GOAL comes to mind!).

Finally, I am wondering if it would be possible to bring a class to my club. I know GOAL has run Women On Target at our club, and there are hunter classes and pin shoots, but I'm not so sure we've ever had self defense type classes. Is this something which instructors might do? If I could help arrange it, does that get me a break in the class fee (not the reason for doing it, but it helps).

Thanks.

The first step in deciding what classes to take is to find out "what you do not know"
The problem with this statement is that you have to go to a class to really find out.

In my case, I went to a free class at Frontsight, thinking that I was totally squared away.
In the class I discovered that I was not squared away at all and that a lot of what I
thought I knew was wrong.

Neshooters is more than willing to conduct one of our classes at any club within reasonable driving distance. If you help us in setting up a class, we usually offer a free seat, if there are more than 10 students. We also offer an additional free seat if there are 15 paid students. Please give me a call at 603-673-6105 (days) if you want to discuss this or get suggestions on training in general

Thank you for the offer. I'm very much a beginner in most definitions of the word. Have only had minimal formal training, and would like to start somewhere, but want to try to have a plan going into it. Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you.

Thank you for the offer. I'm very much a beginner in most definitions of the word. Have only had minimal formal training, and would like to start somewhere, but want to try to have a plan going into it. Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you.

Take Jim's 100 class and the goal CC class. That should give you some good ideas of where to go next and both will be worth your while.

I've also heard that Mas Ayoob's LFI 1 is excellent wrt the law (not MA-specific) and use of self-defense.

Each of the recommended classes NEShooters 100 and GOAL's Concealed Carry are excellent "ground-level" courses. These plus LFI 1 all cover different aspects and the combination would make a good foundation.

All of the above are good choices. While not a substitute for hands on classes, my DVD series will give you a head start and will allow you to get more out of your classes.

I've also heard that Mas Ayoob's LFI 1 is excellent wrt the law (not MA-specific) and use of self-defense.

Each of the recommended classes NEShooters 100 and GOAL's Concealed Carry are excellent "ground-level" courses. These plus LFI 1 all cover different aspects and the combination would make a good foundation.
LFI-1 is unmatched in its coverage of the legal and ethical issues. It also gives you a very good introduction to defensive shooting and working from a holster. If you could only take 1 class beyond an NRA Basic Pistol class, I'd say make it LFI-1.

NEshooters is the best place to start. From there you can decide what you want to learn, and what direction to take it. Avoid instructors that claim allot but dont have the bio to back up what they claim especially when you get into defensive tactics. Theres allot of BS out there. Starting out especially you want to get with a good instructor that can critique you and fix problems before they become habits. Starting out in my opinion avoid DVDs and stuff. You may think youve got it but in reality are building bad habits. After you get done with your initial training from NEshooters or the like, get yourself some orange training rounds and dry fire at your house and refine what you were taught in front of a mirror. Good luck.

I hear that a lot of the instructors that are members here are good. Sig Academy in NH is also great and for only a couple hours of road time. You may want to take a few days and stay in NH and take a number of courses over those days. I have met many people at Sig whom have done just that. I would not be overly concerned about instructors that claim alot and can't back it up. SOme of the best instructors have never been in a fire fight but can more than adequately make you a better shooter even with defensive pistol techniques. I have taken a dozen courses at Sig with current/retired military and LEO. The instructors offer "alot" and some very advanced training techniques, the majority of them have admitted that they have never used any of the techniques/tactics taught in a "real world" application. If you are looking to learn skills to protect you day-to-day in MA and the like then i am sure most pistol instructors will be more than adequate, barring exceptions. GOAL is probably a good place to start. If you are looking for combat skills taught by a true operator then you may need to seek that training through some more advanced instructors with military special forces like training ie Larry Vickers. Overall, walk, crawl, jog and run methodology is your best bet for being a safe shooter with few bad habits to break .

I'll add to the recommendations of NEShooters 100 class and GOAL's art of CC as great starting points. Also, I highly recommend attending the NEShooters Summit. You'll get to meet and train with a bunch of world class instructors in one weekend for one low price. This will give you a great idea as to who to seek out for further training.

I also highly recommend shooting competition. Is it defensive training, absolutely not, it's a game. Does it force you to improve and burn in your basic gun-handling skills under some pressure, absolutely.

The Defensive Handgun 100 class is a 2 day program for $250.00
Neshooters does allow students to just attend 1 day for $150.00
We have found that students learn faster when they take both days together.
We will be offering a 100 class in June

you guys know LFI is defunct now right?

Ayoob is down in Florida and changed his shooting school's name to "MAG"
http://massadayoobgroup.com/

Here's his request to be removed from the LFI company but I guess his ex keeps filing with his name on the renewal????
http://www.sos.nh.gov/imaging/12498119.pdf

someone posted a video of his use of force class:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom