Claiming a road kill fox pelt in Mass?

I can't believe there are regulations for picking up an animal carcass on the road.

I can't believe there are regulations for picking up an animal carcass on the road.

It's just a side effect of hunting regulations. Same way there'd be regulations for picking up a found gun on the side of the road. Or a used syringe on the side of the road. Or a hooker.

Is there an exception if you actually hit the animal with your car? I ask as deer are often killed (or mortally wounded) by cars in front of my house, and the cops ask the driver if they want it and don't ask anything about licenses or season or such. As an aside, most of the gunshots I hear at my home are the police "taking care of" injured deer (such as the night before last - took two shots so probably would have been better to have taken out the rifle).

I was told during deer season if you find a dead deer on the road, or hit it yourself, you are supposed to call the game warden. If you are caught (caught being the key word here) loading a deer carcass into your truck (or trunk lol) without a tag the consequences are the same as if you shot it in the woods. Not sure how true that is. For me, coast clear? Free deer.

It's just a side effect of hunting regulations. Same way there'd be regulations for picking up a found gun on the side of the road. Or a used syringe on the side of the road. Or a hooker.

Unlike an animal, the hookers aren't usually dead!

I was told during deer season if you find a dead deer on the road, or hit it yourself, you are supposed to call the game warden. If you are caught (caught being the key word here) loading a deer carcass into your truck (or trunk lol) without a tag the consequences are the same as if you shot it in the woods. Not sure how true that is. For me, coast clear? Free deer.

A quick call to your town pd would cover you for transport, but the carcass still needs to be tagged by the state. A butcher won't touch it without a state tag.

Of course, if you can transport it out of sight, butcher it yourself and dispose of the remains without getting caught then you can do as you feel comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom