Christian Social People's Party

Every Catholic priest I've ever spoken with agreed on the right to self defense.

BTW, me too. And I see this thread getting axed soon, so in before the lock.

Every Catholic priest I've ever spoken with agreed on the right to self defense.

BTW, me too. And I see this thread getting axed soon, so in before the lock.

You're probably right, vellnueve, about the lock. Which is too bad; I think that there have been some good points brought up here.

When I first started carrying a sidearm I had to consider some of these questions. Under what conditions (moral) would I be justified in using it? I have a pretty good idea of what the law of men says regarding this, what I had to decide was how my own moral code matched up with it.

It's one of those questions that I hope I never have to answer.

I'm not at all sure where this idea that Christianity and firearms didn't mix came from in the first place... [thinking]
There are a number of Christian and so-called Christian churches that preach pacifism pretty strongly, some with better justifications than others.

I actually had a pastor once, who I respect greatly, who was a confirmed pacifist. He was sufficiently certain of his own salvation to be willing to sacrifice his own life rather than take the life of someone else who may, and probably was, not saved on the chance that they might repent and be saved sometime later. He was even willing to trust his family to the care of God in such a situation. I don't quite agree with his logic, but as I say I respect him greatly for the depth of his beliefs and convictions.

Recently, I was reading a NY Times article that referred to the "Christian Social People's Party" in Luxembourg, and I got to thinking, that party name is actually one big conglomeration of almost every anti-gun related word in the English dictionary! All they need to do is maybe add a Democratic or Liberation and it would be complete! Imagine the gun control position of a Democratic Christian Social People's Liberation Party!! [rofl]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Social_People%27s_Party

Huh? [rolleyes]

I'm not at all sure where this idea that Christianity and firearms didn't mix came from in the first place... [thinking]

Really.

How is Liberation an anti term as well?

Am I missing something here?

Not surprising; from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, on the topic of the fifth commandment:

2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow...

2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life, the common good of the family or of the state.

Pro gun Christian checking in here. [wink]

The last thing Jesus told the assembled group of disciples before He was arrested and subsequently killed can be found in Luke 22:35-38.

"...and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

[grin]

Amen!

Also a Christian pro-gunner.

/John

Last edited:
Well, I am not much for mystical mumbo jumbo, but the "golden rule" is in full effect in our house along with a number of his teachings...

I don't feel I need to buy into organized religion/politics and mysticism in general to learn from great minds and respect/celebrate the sacrifices of others for the sake of their fellow man... I worship the wisdom, not the man...

Does that count?[wink]

Back
Top Bottom