Choosing a gun and a caliber - new blood

As these guys have said... it's best to go green and go to a member shoot so you can try anything you want... but until then... you're welcome to try out my 1911's and Glocks. I have a colt and 2 kimbers at my disposal (the full size is my brother's)... and a slew of 9mm glocks including the 19. If you ever want to meet up and try them out just let me know.

As for which one to carry... it really comes down to which gun/caliber you SHOOT BEST. As any debate about caliber size or safety/no safety will go right out the window once you have to draw whatever gun you have in self defense. What will matter is how fast and accurately you can put rounds on target.

James - where are you in CT. I live in the central part of the state. I definitely would recommend going to Hoffman's in Newington and rent a number of options. It will allow you to directly compare a 1911 to a glock/S&W/Springfield XDm....
Shooting is really important in making your decision, not just how it feels in your hand.

My thoughts:
The triggers on Glocks/S&W/Springfield XDms are all somewhat similar, and a little different than alll other guns. I find it is taking me a whlie to get used to my XDm trigger, but am getting there. My 1911 is a beautiful gun (Kimber), but not sure I would recommend it as a first carry gun.
The 1911 has a number of safety features (safeties) and they are very safe guns, but not more so than Glock or XD/XDm etc. For me one of the most important aspects of a carry gun is simplicity, the less there is to worry about the less that can go wrong in an emergency. The Glocks etc can all be carried loaded and there is no need to release a safety etc in order to fire. In a 1911 if you want to carry with a round in the chamber, you must have the thumb safety on. This is a well designed/placed safety that becomes 2nd nature to release with experience, but something that a beginner will have to train/learn.

Calber - 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and definitely has less recoil (at least with standard loads).

I would suggest that you purchase a 22 LR upper for whatever handgun you buy. This will allow you to train with the same handgun, but with much less recoil and very inexpensive.
There are excellent 22 uppers for 1911 style guns, as well as most other popular carry guns.

It sounds like you are interested in a full size or close carry gun.

Recently all Issuing Authority's in CT were sent a letter telling them they can no longer add ANYTHING to the application process...No references, no Interviews,no credit checks, nothing.. And if they deny you for this reason you get an immediate hearing...Most towns were not doing this anyways...Here is a link to the PDF and audio

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=3878&Q=454666

The process is

1. Fill out app
2. Bring app and 2 checks to PD/First Selectmen.
3. They call you to come pick up temp permit. (depending where you are it could be 1 week or 8 or maybe more)
4. You go to state police and get State Permit (another check).
5. You go buy lots of guns!!!

Thank you for that information. I was curious if I needed to have an interview. My dad mentioned our town was one of the ones doing interviews. So I guess from reading the above, if they ask me for an interview I do not need to go along with it?

Personally, I think a full size 9mm (such as a Glock, XD, SIG 226, etc) is better choice as a first gun than a .45. The ammo costs a lot less than .45 yet has enough recoil that you will become accustomed to the recoil of a center fire handgun. A .22 is great also and ammo is that much cheaper.

You could consider a 226 or Glock with a .22 conversion kit to go with it.

I do agree with you. I love that fact that most types of pistols that I like are chambered in different calibers to suit different needs. After looking at the Mosquito I will probably end up with one of those and then a Glock or 1911 of some sort probably in 9mm.

Yeah, the more I think about it I think for my first gun besides a 22 a 9mm should suit me perfectly fine.

If you decide on a 1911 or a Glock, you can get a .22 conversion kit. I have 4 S&W .22's both auto and revolver but what I shoot the most is a Tactical Solutions .22 conversion kit on my Colt 1911.

That is also a good idea.

As these guys have said... it's best to go green and go to a member shoot so you can try anything you want... but until then... you're welcome to try out my 1911's and Glocks. I have a colt and 2 kimbers at my disposal (the full size is my brother's)... and a slew of 9mm glocks including the 19. If you ever want to meet up and try them out just let me know.

As for which one to carry... it really comes down to which gun/caliber you SHOOT BEST. As any debate about caliber size or safety/no safety will go right out the window once you have to draw whatever gun you have in self defense. What will matter is how fast and accurately you can put rounds on target.

I appreciate the offer! I will probably go green after my course is done.

James - where are you in CT. I live in the central part of the state. I definitely would recommend going to Hoffman's in Newington and rent a number of options. It will allow you to directly compare a 1911 to a glock/S&W/Springfield XDm....
Shooting is really important in making your decision, not just how it feels in your hand.

My thoughts:
The triggers on Glocks/S&W/Springfield XDms are all somewhat similar, and a little different than alll other guns. I find it is taking me a whlie to get used to my XDm trigger, but am getting there. My 1911 is a beautiful gun (Kimber), but not sure I would recommend it as a first carry gun.
The 1911 has a number of safety features (safeties) and they are very safe guns, but not more so than Glock or XD/XDm etc. For me one of the most important aspects of a carry gun is simplicity, the less there is to worry about the less that can go wrong in an emergency. The Glocks etc can all be carried loaded and there is no need to release a safety etc in order to fire. In a 1911 if you want to carry with a round in the chamber, you must have the thumb safety on. This is a well designed/placed safety that becomes 2nd nature to release with experience, but something that a beginner will have to train/learn.

Calber - 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and definitely has less recoil (at least with standard loads).

I would suggest that you purchase a 22 LR upper for whatever handgun you buy. This will allow you to train with the same handgun, but with much less recoil and very inexpensive.
There are excellent 22 uppers for 1911 style guns, as well as most other popular carry guns.

It sounds like you are interested in a full size or close carry gun.

I'm just south of New Haven. I have two shops near me, as well as a range in Bridgeport. I believe they rent guns also. The other issue I was thinking is that I am lefty, so having the thumb safety on the left is a bit odd. Doable but odd nonetheless.

James, be sure to handle many guns for fit, read up on all of them, and write down prices. Good research can save you many headaches, as well as $$. Do check out the Beretta 92FS (9mm). - Michael

James, go green you will not regret it!

On a more serious note, you need to shoot a few different guns and see what fits YOU best.That to me is the most important decision you are going to make. As far as caliber, the 9mm vs .45 debate can be argued until you are blue in the face. It is a matter of personal preference. I personally shoot 9mm because I like to shoot a lot. 9mm is much cheaper. If you don't load your own ammo it will cost you almost double to shoot .45. Another thing to take into account is magazine capacity. Would you rather have 8 rounds of .45 or 15+ rounds of 9mm in a full size handgun.

I am glad to see you on here asking all these questions.

Whenever you want to go shooting let me know. I will be more than happy to take you up to the club.

See you in two weeks. [grin]

Jamesb...

Be careful, another member posted about how excited he was about getting his license and spoke about what he was going to buy and such, the chief of police of his town saw the thread and turned him down as being unsuitable since he was being impatient and complained about how long it was taking.

Just keep that in mind...

+1 Probably already have you flagged. I see you edited the original post, hopefully your licensing officer doesn't use the intrawebs. [wink]

I agree with others....going green is the way.

Cool Mike see you then.

I edited the original post just to clarify a few things. I didn't change anything I was already stating.

My dad mentioned last night back when he was going to take it they were requiring letters of reference and an interview. If they ask me for these do I now not need to comply or should I? Wouldn't that put me in a place where it would annoy the chief?

I guess I have to find the part in here:

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/bfpedeclrule.pdf

where it states they can't do it anymore.

Last edited:
James - a few buddies shoot at Chris's (IDPA style on Thursday nights). K5 in Milford is a good shop, Frank the owner is great to work with, and I bought my MSR STG556 from him last year. Definitely look around, and if the range down there doesn't have everything you want consider coming up here and shooting at Hoffman's.

I just went thru my first buying experiences. I ended up going with a G23 and a 9mm conversion barrel for it to keep costs down on the range. I'll be trying the 9mm barrel from the first time tomorrow. If this sounds like a possibility to you, I can follow up with how the 9mm barrel worked out.

I also picked up a MKIII 22lr, threw a red dot on it and it's a ton of fun to shoot.

I went at all this in the same way you are; lot's of research, lots of questions, and LOTs of good info/ppl on this forum.

OOOH a caliber thread! Fun!

I vote for the .40 S&W. [pot]

+1 on the Sig 226 in 9mm for a first handgun.

Personally, I think a full size 9mm (such as a Glock, XD, SIG 226, etc) is better choice as a first gun than a .45. The ammo costs a lot less than .45 yet has enough recoil that you will become accustomed to the recoil of a center fire handgun. A .22 is great also and ammo is that much cheaper.

You could consider a 226 or Glock with a .22 conversion kit to go with it.

James - a few buddies shoot at Chris's (IDPA style on Thursday nights). K5 in Milford is a good shop, Frank the owner is great to work with, and I bought my MSR STG556 from him last year. Definitely look around, and if the range down there doesn't have everything you want consider coming up here and shooting at Hoffman's.

I plan on going down there because my buddy purchased his from there and needs to go back. I'm within 10 minutes of K5 so it is easy for me to get there and talk to the guys.

+1 on the Sig 226 in 9mm for a first handgun.

I also was thinking that. I really like the 226 grip. It is very comfortable to hold. I am pretty sure I am leaning towards a 9mm as my first. Less recoil, cheaper to shoot at the range, and higher capacity all sound good to me. If I get the Sig Mosquito as well, the feel between the two would be comparable to each other.

I think im going to have to go to the range and shoot a Glock 19, 1911 in 9mm, and the 226 to see which I like most. I find all are very comfortable to hold, with the 1911 and 226 being more so than the Glock.

Last edited:
For really good concealment with enough rounds, I recommend the Walther P99c. Carries 10+1 9mm, is very small, and has a nice compact handle. I think it's the best one out there for the size. Any smaller and you're really into the pocket pistols, LCR, etc.

Don't rule out Ruger, in 9mm, .45, or .22, all solidly built and good quality with a decent price.

I plan on going down there because my buddy purchased his from there and needs to go back. I'm within 10 minutes of K5 so it is easy for me to get there and talk to the guys.

I also was thinking that. I really like the 226 grip. It is very comfortable to hold. I am pretty sure I am leaning towards a 9mm as my first. Less recoil, cheaper to shoot at the range, and higher capacity all sound good to me. If I get the Sig Mosquito as well, the feel between the two would be comparable to each other.

I think im going to have to go to the range and shoot a Glock 19, 1911 in 9mm, and the 226 to see which I like most. I find all are very comfortable to hold, with the 1911 and 226 being more so than the Glock.

I had a Mosquito and sold it. I wasn't too fond of the trigger, and the thing would only eat minimags. I'm going to get a 226 22 conversion kit to replace it.

I'm a glock guy myself, but both SIG and COLT/S&W make fine firearms. Did you say you were in CT? Lucky you. If I lived in a free state I'd get myself a nice Kimber ProCarry. Darn MA laws.

So I am taking the course in two weeks and then will be applying for my permit.If all goes well and I am allowed to carry I will probably have plenty of time to hit the range and shoot and choose the gun that fits me so I am not too worried about it right now. I am 6' and around 180lbs so I don't think concealing a 1911 with say a 4" barrel would be to big of a problem for me. My other interest is a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD. I prefer the 1911 over the others though as far as looks and feel and safety (slide lock). ( I haven't held an XD).

My real debate when looking at them is what brand and what caliber. My choice is probably going to be between a 9mm or 45. Having never shot a gun before I am wondering if the recoil is going to be that much greater with the 45. I know the only real way is to shoot one and see, but im just trying to get an idea. Then it is a matter of what brand gun: Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc. So many options. Which is a good thing I suppose. [wink]

I think considering it will be my first and not last gun I would like to keep it under $1k considering the ammo cost also. That might seem high to some for a first gun, but if it something I am going to be carrying each and every day I want something quality and reliable. I plan to conceal carry as much as I can and also shoot at the range. My goal would be to go at least once every other week or more if I could afford it. I really like the Kimbers I saw on their site, but it seems just out of my price range.

No matter what I buy, I plan to get a Crossbreed Supertuck holster as I have heard great things about them and they seem like they would be very comfortable.

Safety wise, I think I would feel more comfortable carrying a 1911 which has a slide lock when a round is chambered over a Glock with just a trigger safety. I also like the slimmer feel of the 1911 frame. I have large hands so I need something with a full size grip.

Whatever I get I will probably get the opposite as my second eventually. So if I got a 1911 I would probably then get a Glock or the other way around. I'm just looking for some basic ideas, things I might not be considering, etc. I know I do not want a revolver at this time. Definitely looking for a semi-auto pistol. I also have two gun shops within 5 miles of me so I plan to check them out and get their opinions.

My friend who carries has a Glock 19 and offered to let me come and shoot it at the range to see how I like it. At the range he goes I am able to shoot under is permit apparently. I do plan to take him up on it soon.

After this my next step is figuring out what the different grain ratings mean in relation to ammo and the different types of rounds I can/should use for the range.

Best advice you can get is to go and shoot and handle as many different guns as your friends or local club will be willing to go over with you before you make any investment .I don't know where your located but hit the gun shops and although I go to pretty much one place now and that was after going to many different places over 25 years .take your time it is a investment that you "must" feel confortable with .feel free to PM if you would like any other pointers i can offer

The best advice anyone can give you is to choose a weapon you are comfortable carrying all day in a caliber you can make hits that count with! There are a lot of people out there who will tell you that you need a .45. The only thing that truly counts is being able to hit your target. A near miss with a .45 won't be as effective as a hit with a .22. GOOD LUCK.

I had a Mosquito and sold it. I wasn't too fond of the trigger, and the thing would only eat minimags. I'm going to get a 226 22 conversion kit to replace it.

I'm a glock guy myself, but both SIG and COLT/S&W make fine firearms. Did you say you were in CT? Lucky you. If I lived in a free state I'd get myself a nice Kimber ProCarry. Darn MA laws.
Do you mean to say that you can't even have a Kimber pro carry in MA.? I am so glad I moved out of that communist state, I feel sorry for you!

You might also look at the FN FNP pistols. They seem pretty nice but I don't hear much about them.

Nobody has said it yet so I will

.22LR semi-auto - Ruger MkIII or a S&W 22, even the Sig Moquitos are fun. - Gets you into shooting with inexpensive ammo and trains you to not fear recoil. After that, a world of choices for you.

Not quite the world of choice, in this state I'm afraid.[sad2]

Last edited:
I heard from the news that these "assault pistols" or "cop killer pistols" are only designed to kill police. I would be afraid to own one!!

I'm talking about this:

FNP9righttile1.jpg

not this:

400px-FN-FiveSeven_USG.jpg

Well, my dad went to the local PD to get his application as he already has his cert from class. Turns out that he had to make an appointment to get fingerprinted and the earliest appointment was April 15th. Doesn't that seem long for something I would imagine takes a few minutes to do? Granted, I don't know really how long it takes, but it struck me as odd when from what I believe other cities you can come in whenever and get printed. They then told him that once fingerprinted it would be about 10 weeks before you get the temporary permit.

Well, my dad went to the local PD to get his application as he already has his cert from class. Turns out that he had to make an appointment to get fingerprinted and the earliest appointment was April 15th. Doesn't that seem long for something I would imagine takes a few minutes to do? Granted, I don't know really how long it takes, but it struck me as odd when from what I believe other cities you can come in whenever and get printed. They then told him that once fingerprinted it would be about 10 weeks before you get the temporary permit.

Everything is at the LEO's discretion, unless it is about a decision on whether to issue an FID.

EVERYTHING.

Thanks, just curious. I know it does vary from town to town. My class is on Sunday so I will stop by the PD, get the forms and fill them out and make an appointment for the fingerprinting early next week.

Everything is at the LEO's discretion, unless it is about a decision on whether to issue an FID.

EVERYTHING.

Not in CT its not

This april 15th is BS...Go to another town or to state police and get fingerprinted..then come back and give them the app with the prints...They cannot do this to you..Most towns fingerprint multiple times a week..tell them you are going to get fingerprinted somewhere else...they cannot tell you No and they must accept your app

Where are you in CT...I will find you somewhere to be fingerprinted..but any State Police office or resident troopers office will do it.

Last edited:
Im in Milford. I was going to ask if I could get fingerprinted somewhere else and bring them with the app. Like state police (troop G) in bridgeport. I work in Fairfield and their site says, "We will only fingerprint residents of the Town of Fairfield or an employees of businesses located in Fairfield."

I take it that I should be able to get my prints done there and bring them with the app to Milford, correct? Their site also states, "The person should bring the fingerprint cards required (if other than standard FBI card) with them when they come to the Police Department." Is it the standard FBI card I am having done so they should have them, correct?

Hopefully this is all good, because it would be easier for me to do it in Fairfield on my lunch hour from work. Then to make an appointment in Milford.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom