Children in states with strict gun laws are less likely to die, according to a new study

mikeyp

NES Member
More garbage I'm sure(haven't gotten the chance to read through all the nonsense yet)

Children in states with strict firearm legislation are less likely to die - CNN

(CNN)Strict firearm legislation could be the answer to a disturbing increase in gun deaths among young people, according to a new study.

In a paper published Monday in the journal Pediatrics, researchers found that firearm-related deaths among young people are 35% lower in states where mandatory background checks have been required for at least five years.
It's evidence that measures like universal background checks for firearm and ammunition purchases and identification requirements can significantly reduce the pediatric mortality rate, researchers said.
More than 21,000 young people under 21 died from firearm-related injuries between 2011 and 2015. The number translates to roughly seven funerals a day, said lead author Dr. Monika Goyal of Children's National pediatric hospital in Washington, DC.

Using fatal injury data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, researchers examined how the aforementioned measures (and whether or not states have them) affect gun deaths among children and young adults.
The team evaluated the strength of a state's gun laws using scorecards from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a nonprofit that ranks the strictness of laws on a 100-point scale. Higher scores indicate stricter legislation.
Strict laws protect kids even in states with high rates of gun ownership
For every 10-point increase in a law's safety score, firearm deaths among young people dropped 4%, the study found. Scores were bolstered by additions like child access prevention laws or extreme risk protection regulations.
Assaults accounted for more than 60% of all deaths, followed by suicides. Young men made up 87% of victims, and more than two-thirds were between 18 and 21, researchers said.
Even in states where gun ownership is high, strict laws that control the purchase of guns protect children and lower mortality rates, the study showed.
That's likely due to access, Goyal told CNN in an email. Some states require gun owners to keep their weapons locked and unloaded at all times, a type of child access prevention law, which reduces the likelihood of unintentional injury.
Extreme risk protection laws, or regulations that allow the state to remove guns from the homes of people deemed unfit to possess them, likely keep that number low, too, she said.
Gun violence is the second-highest cause of death among young people
Firearm-related injuries are the second-leading cause of death among children and adolescents after car accidents, a 2016 study found.
It's a disturbing part of a national trend: The US leads other industrialized nations in gun-related deaths, a rate that's steadily increased after years of decline, the CDC reported in 2018. But the politically potent nature of gun ownership has beleaguered efforts to legislate it.
"We have seen dramatic decreases in motor vehicle deaths by investing in sound, evidence-based research in child passenger safety," Goyal said. "We must embrace the same approach for gun safety."
The majority of states didn't require universal background checks during the time period researchers studied, they said, and some have loosened requirements since.
The Giffords Law Center, which has taken up state gun law scoring from the Brady Campaign, ranked Mississippi last in its 2018 scorecard. The state doesn't require gun owners to obtain a license or register their weapons.

I would take that bet. As many shootings as Chi-town has, the # of youth KILLED is far less than the shootings. Ergo, I'd win that bet easily.

Where I go off the rails is this:

firearm-related deaths among young people are 35% lower in states where mandatory background checks have been required for at least five years.

Is there a state with no 4473 requirement in 2019??

As far as the study, one could do all sorts of harm with statistics. As long as I'm working towards a set goal - to show how gun laws are saving lives, I can manipulate the study as much as I want in order to glean the data that I need. 5yr-background thing just sounds really odd. REALLY odd. Like they looked for a # that would produce their results.

Freakanomics reviewed their Abortion/Crime episode this past week. Good stuff. Levitt worked his butt off to be sure his stats are right - and headed into it with no notion of if this was true. Just something that lined up statistically with the drop in crime in the 90's. (Funny aside - he took more death threats from the Left than the Right for publishing the findings.)

Oh and I love that they used the Brady Campaign #'s to judge a state's gun laws. How nice.

Lol... Crescent News Network... shocking. [rofl]

More bullshit about conflating 16-21 year olds as "children" which is the biggest load of shit going.

Correlation = Causation fail

Also how do they explain states like VT (until recently), NH, and ME? None of those states had strict gun laws and "children" weren't dying off in
droves.

Big dump cities and suicides probably make up 95%+ of the "under 21 firearm deaths" in the US. Maybe they should worry about big dump cities, cultural
problems, and a completely f***ed up mental healthcare system in this country before yammering about guns...

-Mike

5yr-background thing just sounds really odd. REALLY odd. Like they looked for a # that would produce their results.

Like labeling adults as children as well?

66% of the “children” in their study range in age from 18-21.

Reminds me of the "Fight for 15" people who cherry pick 1967 or 1968 for their minimum wage comparison, one of those years is a statistical anomaly which skews the argument of a higher minimum wage in their favor.

But liberals want to let 16 year olds vote. I'm having a problem correlating a 16 y/o being mature enough to vote with a 21 y/o being considered to be a child.

I need mas tequila...
They want their names on the rolls so they can "harvest" their ballots. File under the general category: Donks cheat.

Well, yeah. But it goes beyond that.

Also - how many of these dangerous cities are inside of free states? Ill'of'noise? How about St Lewee??? Missouri is a Con-Carry state. How about StL and KC??? (Pretty sure that it's county-laws in a lot of instances - so the counties on the edges of MO are more stringent.)

But yeah, labeling anyone over the age of 18 as a child is a big problem.

Study: Tough gun laws linked to fewer firearm deaths among children

Oh, and it's not 66%, it's 69%. Yikes!

So we've got 21,000 deaths in 5 years. 69% are adults. That's still 3.5 kids a day. Sucks. But DAMN!

Oh, the other problem: Using those big #'s. 1300 kids a year are killed by guns. As sad as that is, in reality, that isn't that many. Betting that more die from 5 gallon pails than guns. But add in those 18-21's, and then use FIVE years of #'s and it's a 21,000 person epidemic! (Because most think - 21K kids a year? A YEAR!?!?!?!? WTF,O?)

Almost as many Americans were killed by trains per year. 71,000 opioid OD deaths last year. Opioid deaths among the under-18's is surpassing 500 per year.

As we all know, the study and the article on CNN is bullspit.

Do these firearms deaths of "children" aged 18-21 include criminals killed by the police and active service people killed overseas?

Remember that gun violence conference where they solemnly read aloud the names of all the people killed by "gun violence" that year, including marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev?

Do these firearms deaths of "children" aged 18-21 include criminals killed by the police and active service people killed overseas?

Remember that gun violence conference where they solemnly read aloud the names of all the people killed by "gun violence" that year, including marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev?

The jury is still out wrt whether it was the gunshots or his brother using him as a speed bump that killed him.

Breaking News! New study shows that children in communities with high population density and poverty are more likely to die from... well pretty much anything. Details at 11.

1tmg7s.jpg

Also how do they explain states like VT (until recently)

By including them in the "strict gun law" state column now, and - see, magic! - VT's low rates now accumulate to the benefit of their argument.

A causality study would chart these matters, changing laws, changing rates, over time and then check the statistical validity of the results.

Which these tools won't do because, a) actual work is not needed to try to score a political point, and b) they are probably worried the results would not benefit their argument (as well they should worry).

Back
Top Bottom