Chicopee homeowner found not guilty in teen’s shooting death

-This guy is probably broke (or not far from it) or would go broke by round 2 even if he lost, making him an unappealing target for an ambulance chaser.

He was a frequent at the local gun shop near by. He had to sell off the majority of his gun collection, as well as borrow money in order to pay for the expenses.

*I personally do not know the guy. I am only going off of the conversation in the shop. I personally have not asked as I believe its not my business to ask.*

A friend of mine who is a retired lawyer often says that the trial is over once the jury is picked. That's why law firms (and their clients) spend so much time and money on figuring out who should get on the jury. In this case, I'd guess that the lawyer made strong suggestions once he knew who the trial judge was going to be.

There are sometimes you are looking for one juror who has a huge heart and has mercy on you and feels bad for you to hang the whole situation.

There are others where you see that one guy with a level head is your best bet and a bleeding liberal anti-gun nut job juror could totally torpedo your case during deliberations. Keep in mind that humans are pack animals and often they will choose the pack over facts and/or truth.

While there were some extenuating circumstances here, what this whole thing tells me is that if I'm going to shoot a would be robber, rapist, bad person, etc' coming after me or my family I better know in advance that I'm going to be arrested, charged and sent to court. Basically MA's way of incentivizing the victim mentality
......and lose all your guns to the big vault in the east.

I'm shocked. I never thought it would go this way. Good for the home owner and common sense.

I suppose it's time for the civil case now.

Does he get his door back?

Bob

When this happened, I figured the guy was f***ed. I really did... The local news covered it heavily and most people though he was done.

That picture of the door completely changes things though. I mean he saw the guy on the other side, knew what the kid was trying to do and felt threatened enough to fire.

There's more to this than someone at the wrong house, looking for his friend.

Great outcome for the homeowner. Im from chicopee and have friends who younger siblings knew the kid and have been told he was a trouble maker in general and that the "Friend" whose house they were looking for was away for the week on vacation. Maybe they just chose a B&E on the wrong house

Great outcome for the homeowner. Im from chicopee and have friends who younger siblings knew the kid and have been told he was a trouble maker in general and that the "Friend" whose house they were looking for was away for the week on vacation. Maybe they just chose a B&E on the wrong house

"He was a good boy, a very good boy." Figured there was a lot more to the story that the media was leaving out to portray the assailant as an innocent victim, like they did with those "gentle giants" Trayvon and Mike Brown.

Also love some of the comments in the Masslive article, lots of salty liberal tears.

While there were some extenuating circumstances here, what this whole thing tells me is that if I'm going to shoot a would be robber, rapist, bad person, etc' coming after me or my family I better know in advance that I'm going to be arrested, charged and sent to court. Basically MA's way of incentivizing the victim mentality

Or just be sure you open the door first. ;)

Wow!!

Game Changa!

cue the appeals in 3....2.....

As mentioned, no. But I'm sure he'll spend about $50-100K on the wrongful death lawsuit the family will surely file. This is why we need tort reform. First, they should be 100% on the hook for defendants legal bills should they lose - like put it up in an escrow acct. And lawyers should be somehow censured or disbarred for filing frivolous cases. (Not sure how to get there, but we ALL know when a case is just digging for $.)

EDIT TO ADD:

After my 49 years on this Urf, I can honestly say that if the family approached me and said, "Hunnert-G's or we sue" I'd counter and gladly pay out at $50K. I'm not PAYING them anything. I'm BUYING myself peace of mind. YEARS of it. These things drag on for a looooong time. You'll spend it one way or the other. But the other means you'll take years off my life.

Or just be sure you open the door first. ;)

As mentioned, no. But I'm sure he'll spend about $50-100K on the wrongful death lawsuit the family will surely file. This is why we need tort reform. First, they should be 100% on the hook for defendants legal bills should they lose - like put it up in an escrow acct. And lawyers should be somehow censured or disbarred for filing frivolous cases. (Not sure how to get there, but we ALL know when a case is just digging for $.)

EDIT TO ADD:

After my 49 years on this Urf, I can honestly say that if the family approached me and said, "Hunnert-G's or we sue" I'd counter and gladly pay out at $50K. I'm not PAYING them anything. I'm BUYING myself peace of mind. YEARS of it. These things drag on for a looooong time. You'll spend it one way or the other. But the other means you'll take years off my life.

The kid was in custody of DCF and was living with a foster family. From my understanding the foster family has no right for a lawsuit.

Spoke to a coworkers daughter tonight who went to school with the kid and he had a criminal record and had been arrested at a previous school. Was known to run with a bad crowd and did the typical things innocent angels do at that age.

Back
Top Bottom