Chickens 2023/2024

The last time I kept chickens I was maybe 10 years old and that was half a century ago.

We go through half dozen eggs a day on average. Most of that is probably our pooch, but I can easily go through 2 - 4 a day, if they're sitting there hard boiled in the fridge.

Is there a rule of thumb of the number of eggs one uses when it becomes cost effective to raise chickens for eggs? It would be so easy to up our consumption if we're close to the break even point.

I think our spread can support a small flock, but I need to weigh the added work against the benefits which would include consuming ticks from the grass.
With backyard chickens eggs, the flavor is way better and they have more nutritional value.

Once you have seen and tasted the difference, there's no going back.

That makes the cost effectiveness a moot point for me.

We will never break even. But I didn't get them hoping to save money on eggs. I got them for tick removal and better quality eggs. I like having them in the yard. We get way more eggs than we can use. I sold them for a while. Now I just give them to friends. I buy organic feed and scratch so that's pricey. I rinse out the egg shells, dry them, crush them and feed them back to the chickens for a cheap calcium supplement.

Wife just got 10 more egg layer chicks last week ( a variety of chicks from easter and olive eggers to blue and black copper marans). We go out Sunday am and there is a dead chick (either an easter or olive egger) and the brooder was on but no heat from it. WTF. Hook up the other one and everything is fine. 2 days later the other person who got chicks with her also got basically the same ones had a dead chick too and same breed. Last night her co-worker called her as she got some from the same place said she had a chick that didn't look like it was gonna make it, just laying down with its head turned around almost 180 degrees. Told my wife don't waste money buying from that place again. God I hate chickens.

The wife moved the 3 week olds out of the large tub and into a pen on our screened porch.

She's got a system and does it this way each time we get a batch of baby chicks.

Attachments

• 20240513_171636.jpg
    20240513_171636.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240513_171626.jpg
    20240513_171626.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240513_171611.jpg
    20240513_171611.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
What’s the juice ?
Just some apple cider vinegar with their water. I heard somewhere it is supposed to be good for the chicks. But I honestly do not know. I give it to them for a day or two. I generally have very few losses for what it’s worth. I lost two of these 40 or so and they came all the way from IA.

Well Friday I had let the chickens free range in the backyard and heard some of the them cackling and squawking real loud. Ran around the corner of the house and on the other side of the fence(its a white vinyl picket fence but the chicken can slink under the bottom rail) was a fox with a silver laced in it's mouth. I grabbed a canoe paddle as the canoe was right there and started after the fox but it dropped the chicken and took off. Chicken ran back in the yard and straight to the coop. Upon inspection there were a bunch of feathers missing and a small section of skin that got ripped off. She has been living in the garage in a large dog crate so the other chickens don't peck at her. So far doing well and getting sprayed with vetericyn (I think that's the stuff) twice a day and it seems to be doing well. Then Saturday my son came in and said I know where the fox is coming from.. the is a freaking den in the front of the house in the slope. We saw 6 kits there Saturday. I can't believe we haven't lost a chicken yet as last weekend 5 of them were free ranging and the bottom of that slope. Wife won't let me shoot them so look like this is going to be an ongoing issue until they get a little bigger and we can try to scare them off or she will change her mind after losing some chickens.

Silver.jpg

kits.jpeg

Ah Yes!! Ma**h***chusetts!! It will only get worse. The folks in that state voted to prohibit the best way to solve that problem. The folks down there were warned that this would happen. Sorry, But you folks deserve all that happens.

Ah Yes!! Ma**h***chusetts!! It will only get worse. The folks in that state voted to prohibit the best way to solve that problem. The folks down there were warned that this would happen. Sorry, But you folks deserve all that happens.
I agree. Instead of people paying for trapping licenses and the state getting a little revenue, now people have to pay someone to come and trap the critter. This is one reason why I like living out in the sticks as I’ll just shoot the bastards before I pay someone to trap them.

The Silver should heal up fine. If she's running around eating and drinking, you're basically good to go. You can apply a topical for the first 2-3 days to help it glaze over like Neosporin, but they are hearty birds.
Yes she is eating and drinking like normal. I was worried the others would peck her to death if left in the coop with them. She is also pretty heavy too so maybe that’s why the skin tore as the Fox was trying to grab onto her but who knows.

Not sure what the best way to solve that problem would be, but I would feed them some lead for sure.

Well Friday I had let the chickens free range in the backyard and heard some of the them cackling and squawking real loud. Ran around the corner of the house and on the other side of the fence(its a white vinyl picket fence but the chicken can slink under the bottom rail) was a fox with a silver laced in it's mouth. I grabbed a canoe paddle as the canoe was right there and started after the fox but it dropped the chicken and took off. Chicken ran back in the yard and straight to the coop. Upon inspection there were a bunch of feathers missing and a small section of skin that got ripped off. She has been living in the garage in a large dog crate so the other chickens don't peck at her. So far doing well and getting sprayed with vetericyn (I think that's the stuff) twice a day and it seems to be doing well. Then Saturday my son came in and said I know where the fox is coming from.. the is a freaking den in the front of the house in the slope. We saw 6 kits there Saturday. I can't believe we haven't lost a chicken yet as last weekend 5 of them were free ranging and the bottom of that slope. Wife won't let me shoot them so look like this is going to be an ongoing issue until they get a little bigger and we can try to scare them off or she will change her mind after losing some chickens.

View attachment 880765
Kill, them, all.

View attachment 880765
Can you put something out there to encourage mama and the kits to move out faster? Like some ammonia? Or Maybe some electric fencing that's live when the chickens aren't out? A few zaps and they won't keep trying.

Well it appears that the kits have all moved along. The wife put a Blink camera out there on Sunday and there has been nothing since Monday. I did read about things to put out there to make them move along and we have put a few things out there crushed garlic at the den areas as well as a radio playing and I may or may not have pissed in one of the den entrances.

ETA: the garage chicken laid an egg in the dog crate this am so it appears she may be getting moved out with the rest of the flock soon as her wound is looking better.

Segregating her is the right move because pecking can be an issue in confinement. If they are free range it becomes less of an issue as they will distance themselves to recover. We've been known to spoil a bird or two.

Well it appears that the kits have all moved along. The wife put a Blink camera out there on Sunday and there has been nothing since Monday. I did read about things to put out there to make them move along and we have put a few things out there crushed garlic at the den areas as well as a radio playing and I may or may not have pissed in one of the den entrances.

ETA: the garage chicken laid an egg in the dog crate this am so it appears she may be getting moved out with the rest of the flock soon as her wound is looking better.
Marking your territory is totally acceptable. I know other chicken owners who have done it. It's a language that nature understands. LOL

I've already been thinking if they can get the Avian flu scam o go the way they want then they will outlaw backyard poultry. In the UK there were Avian flu concerns so people with chickens were not allowed to let them out of their pens to free range.

Dodge Grain in Salem tracks their poultry sales for the NPIP. I was annoyed at myself for filling out my info in their log book.

If I had been thinking I would have put a fake name and address. :(

I've already been thinking if they can get the Avian flu scam o go the way they want then they will outlaw backyard poultry. In the UK there were Avian flu concerns so people with chickens were not allowed to let them out of their pens to free range.

Dodge Grain in Salem tracks their poultry sales for the NPIP. I was annoyed at myself for filling out my info in their log book.

If I had been thinking I would have put a fake name and address. :(
I had no idea that’s why they asked for my address. Guess I’ll look to a couple other sources next time I get pullets and if they ask for an address I’ll live on main st…….

Kars for kids on a loop?

Back
Top Bottom