Chester Pins

I shot my first pin match of the year today at Chester Rod and Gun. I did better than last year. With my 686 .357 I shot 22 out of 30 and with my Sig in .40 S&W i shot 19. I still don't shoot the Sig as well as the revolver.

I finally met the shooter who shoots the single action revolver. The man I watched at Mass Rifle steel plates a few weeks ago. He is SA John and he won the revolver match with a perfect 30 and out shot several other shooters in a shootoff. I timed him in under 4.4 seconds for five shots in the shootoff against DA revolvers. The other shooters could not work their trigger fingers faster than hecould thumb cock. And he never missed.

I'll be going to Country Pond next Saturday at 9:00 am for another pin shoot with this same group of shooters. You should check it out.

Sydney

Sydney, I enjoyed talking with you at Chester. You did well to knock down 19 with a .40 S&W. It is a mediocre round at best for pin shooting. I was happy to see that you shot your 686 double-action style. Not many shooters shoot pins with a DA gun shooting double-action these days. It is a difficult skill to control such a gun shooting DA with heavy loads and so most people shoot single-action. What they don't do correctly (and why I can beat them so readily) is cock the hammer with the correct thumb. All use their left thumb when they should be using their right, or gun hand thumb. It seems counter-intuitive, but cocking with the right hand thumb allows you to keep your left hand planted on the gun's frame (up front) and makes for quicker target re-acquisition. When I see guys shooting a DA gun and cocking with their left hand, I know they have very little chance of shooting fast. When I tell this to shooters, they look at me funny. Then they usually lose. I can only do so much for them.

SA John

I was there as well, it's not a bad shoot and I did have fun but it's not really my game to be honest. Waiting through 8 strings for 8 seconds of trigger time got a little dull after awhile, but it was still fun to get out there and get a little trigger time in before the idpa, steel, and 3 gun matches start up.

Back
Top Bottom