• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chester Rod and Gun Club USPSA 4/22/18

Chester Rod and Gun Club will be hosting a USPSA match Sunday 22nd. Four stages plus a classifier. You can register on PractiScore.

This actually isn't too far from me. Someday I'll actually try one, once I figure out how it all works, haha.

...Someday I'll actually try one, once I figure out how it all works, haha.

If you wait, you'll be kicking yourself for not starting sooner. USPSA is the most fun you can have with you pants on.

It is not that difficult.

Always keep your muzzle pointed downrange.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on target.
Hear the beep, shoot lots of stuff until you hear "If finished, unload and show clear".

If you wait, you'll be kicking yourself for not starting sooner. USPSA is the most fun you can have with you pants on.

It is not that difficult.

Always keep your muzzle pointed downrange.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on target.
Hear the beep, shoot lots of stuff until you hear "If finished, unload and show clear".
Yeah it looks like a good time. I would need a few things--at least a mag holder, if nothing else. Based on a quick reading I would probably try Production Class. For that class, the mag can have a capacity over 10 but be loaded just to ten, correct? I wouldn't be enthusiastic about buying a stack of ten rounders unless I had to, but have no problem loading just to ten.

I've never done anything like this (only CMP matches) so it would be a new experience. I've heard people at matches in general can be pretty welcoming. I know Hopkinton had an intro class/match recently, but I don't have my non-res yet so I'm limited NH currently.

Yeah it looks like a good time. I would need a few things--at least a mag holder, if nothing else. Based on a quick reading I would probably try Production Class. For that class, the mag can have a capacity over 10 but be loaded just to ten, correct? I wouldn't be enthusiastic about buying a stack of ten rounders unless I had to, but have no problem loading just to ten.

I've never done anything like this (only CMP matches) so it would be a new experience. I've heard people at matches in general can be pretty welcoming. I know Hopkinton had an intro class/match recently, but I don't have my non-res yet so I'm limited NH currently.

as long as the gun fits in the 8 15/16 x 6x 1 5/8 box, with the mag inserted the capacity doesn't matter in production. put ten rounds in and rock and roll

as long as the gun fits in the 8 15/16 x 6x 1 5/8 box, with the mag inserted the capacity doesn't matter in production. put ten rounds in and rock and roll
Sig P226, so I should be good.
In terms of full size for me, my options would be that or my Tokarev [rofl2]

Production division not class. Class is your skill level basically. Yes you can use “hi cap” mags but they must be loaded to 10 rounds. Except for the initial mag that you use to “load and make ready”. I have a preban CZ mag that I load to 11 rather than have a separate mag to chamber a round then insert another mag that’s loaded to 10 rounds.

This was my first USPSA event. Had a blast. Thanks to all who made it happen
So it sounds like it was pretty open to newbies? I see it looks like there is one May 20, I am going to mark it off on my calendar and plan to try it.
Production division not class. Class is your skill level basically. Yes you can use “hi cap” mags but they must be loaded to 10 rounds. Except for the initial mag that you use to “load and make ready”. I have a preban CZ mag that I load to 11 rather than have a separate mag to chamber a round then insert another mag that’s loaded to 10 rounds.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking my leather iwb Mitch Rosen holster is not ideal for this, so I'll need (presumably) an owb holster, and some pouches and probably another mag. I'm a little worried on my Mec-Gar 20 rounder, the baseplate is a little thick, maybe I should measure it. While it would probably ease speed reloads I don't want to exceed length.

I should probably place an order soon so I can practice actually using the gear before putting it into use.

So it sounds like it was pretty open to newbies? I see it looks like there is one May 20, I am going to mark it off on my calendar and plan to try it.

Yep very newbie friendly. No one cares how well you do, as long as you're safe. i.e. don't break the 180, listen to the RO, don't run with your finger in the trigger well

Yep very newbie friendly. No one cares how well you do, as long as you're safe. i.e. don't break the 180, listen to the RO, don't run with your finger in the trigger well
Nice, that's my goal. Be safe, try it out, have fun. I expect I will enjoy it. Def. need mag pouches though.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking my leather iwb Mitch Rosen holster is not ideal for this, so I'll need (presumably) an owb holster, and some pouches and probably another mag. I'm a little worried on my Mec-Gar 20 rounder, the baseplate is a little thick, maybe I should measure it. While it would probably ease speed reloads I don't want to exceed length.

I should probably place an order soon so I can practice actually using the gear before putting it into use.

It's definitely open to newbies. Just let the Range Officer know that it's your first time and they'll make sure you go last so you can see how it all goes.

You can certainly use an IWB holster but it's far from ideal. OWB is the way to go.
This is a good package deal:
BSPS BOSS DOH Holster, 5 x Ghost Magazine Pouches & Double Alpha Academy (DAA) Belt Deal!

Another somewhat recent thread on USPSA gear:
USPSA belt and holster

I wouldn't sweat the mags quite yet. You're not checking your gun in the box at local matches - only at sanctioned championship matches. Though it's still good to know what can and cannot be used in the event that you attend one of the sanctioned matches.

Sig P226, so I should be good.
In terms of full size for me, my options would be that or my Tokarev [rofl2]

The 226 is perfectly fine for USPSA Production. My first year I used a M11-A1. If you are close to the SIG ProShop, I recommend a Blackpoint OWB holster and a couple of their paddle style double mag pouches. Relatively inexpensive.
Also, Chester runs a practice session on Tuesday nights from 6-8, weather permitting. Its either $3 or $5 bucks to cover costs and they setup a couple of USPSA stages and/or Steel Challenge stages. Good group of people and a good way to see what it is like before going to a match.

It's definitely open to newbies. Just let the Range Officer know that it's your first time and they'll make sure you go last so you can see how it all goes.

You can certainly use an IWB holster but it's far from ideal. OWB is the way to go.
This is a good package deal:
BSPS BOSS DOH Holster, 5 x Ghost Magazine Pouches & Double Alpha Academy (DAA) Belt Deal!

Another somewhat recent thread on USPSA gear:
USPSA belt and holster

I wouldn't sweat the mags quite yet. You're not checking your gun in the box at local matches - only at sanctioned championship matches. Though it's still good to know what can and cannot be used in the event that you attend one of the sanctioned matches.
That looks like an awesome rig. Unfortunately I don't even know what a lot of it means, haha.
I think if I try a couple of matches I will have a better idea of what I would want to roll with. I'm not sure I want to stick with the P226 but other than my Glock 19 I don't have another Production option, and I shoot the Sig better. I have been eyeing a CZ-75 variant which seems to be a popular choice, but that would be way down the road.

So based on my readings at an absolute minimum I'm going to need four mag pouches and another mag.
This assumes I use my current belt which is "just OK" and run the iwb holster.

More practical would be:
  • Five mag pouches
  • Two mags
  • OWB holster
  • New belt, perhaps
Hmm...when you add all of that up, it's already starting to get pricey and starts to offset the cost of the rig.
This is where it gets tough deciding whether to invest in something nice from the get-go or go as cheap as possible to start. Spending some money now on pouches and stuff that would quickly become obsolete stings a bit if I then feel the need to turn around and buy fancier stuff, but I guess it would sting less than dropping big money on a full set of gear that might not work for me.

A few threads I've read across forums seem to recommend doing a few matches first to see your preferences and talking to others, that might be the way for me considering I've never done anything like this and would be going with a gun that I'm not totally sold on.

I think I'll order up two mags to which'll put me at six, and then look for 4-5 economic mag pouches to start, and see where it goes from there.
The 226 is perfectly fine for USPSA Production. My first year I used a M11-A1. If you are close to the SIG ProShop, I recommend a Blackpoint OWB holster and a couple of their paddle style double mag pouches. Relatively inexpensive.
Also, Chester runs a practice session on Tuesday nights from 6-8, weather permitting. Its either $3 or $5 bucks to cover costs and they setup a couple of USPSA stages and/or Steel Challenge stages. Good group of people and a good way to see what it is like before going to a match.
That's a good tip on the Pro Shop, I'm about 45-55 minutes away so it's not super close but not that far.
I probably can't make the practice sessions as by the time I get home and then drive there it would be more than half over but it's something to think about if I find myself home on a Tuesday.

We have 5 stages for next month with a double drop turner and other fun stuff. We are buying more steel and all stages are high round count. If it's your first match just tell the RO and they will help you or if you have any questions come see me. I'm the Range Master for all our USPSA matches.

We have 5 stages for next month with a double drop turner and other fun stuff. We are buying more steel and all stages are high round count. If it's your first match just tell the RO and they will help you or if you have any questions come see me. I'm the Range Master for all our USPSA matches.
Very nice.
I have two additional mags on the way and I think I've found "good enough" solutions for pouches/holster that should suffice until I get more familiar with everything.
Looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom