• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheshire County Range Officer Opening?

Well.....its was a "republican shoot". Maybe they shoulda registered as independents.

Police: Two men injured in shooting accident at Keene range

• By Sierra Hubbard Sentinel Staff
  • Sep 15, 2019 Updated 2 hrs ago

Two safety officers went to the hospital Sunday with gunshot wounds after one accidentally fired a gun at the other at an event at the shooting range on Ferry Brook Road, Keene police said.

Officers responded to the range, run by the Cheshire County Shooting Sports Education Foundation, at about 11:40 a.m., according to Keene police Sgt. Collin L. Zamore.

One safety officer apparently attempted to give a demonstration using a dummy weapon, Zamore said, but grabbed a real firearm by mistake. The man fired the gun while his hand was in front of it, according to Zamore, and the bullet traveled through his hand and into the abdomen of a second safety officer.

Zamore confirmed both men were at the range for the 2019 annual Cheshire County Republican Shoot, scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, according to the Cheshire County Republican Committee’s website.

Zamore declined to release the men’s names, pending more information on their medical condition and assurance family has been notified of the incident.

He said people at the range administered first aid until Keene police and fire personnel arrived. Both safety officers were taken to Cheshire Medical Center in Keene, though Zamore did not know the extent of their injuries.

The gun range foundation’s general manager, Peter Crowell, was not reachable for comment before press time this morning.

Board Chairman Mike Hagan said this morning that the two safety officers are volunteers at the range. He declined to comment further, citing the ongoing investigation, but said the range had not previously had any injuries in 91 years

In what world do you not know a dummy gun from a real gun just by weight/feel? This doesnt sound right. Why even carry them near each other in the first place??

Last edited:
Um...when I am doing a class, I treat the blue plastic "We can all agree that this is not a real firearm" training tool, as though it were a real gun. The whole safe directions, finger position, etc. deal. Guess I'm a Fudd, but one with no extra ventilation.

You are not a FUDD. What other purpose is there for a dummy gun other than to demonstrate how to SAFELY handle a REAL gun? Movie prop is the only exception I can think of and people have been shot with guns that were mistakenly loaded with live rounds on movie sets as well.

What does "safety officer" mean in this context? Were they LEOs, or just range volunteers with a functional title for the event?

Back
Top Bottom