Check your ammo....

Before loading your mags/cylinders remember to check each round of ammo--even factory ammo.

With the increase of production, quality control has gone down hill for all manufacturers. In one box I found two rounds with the bullets seated too deep and this was from one the most respected names in the industry. I am not going to single them out because it is happening to all manufacturers.

Last edited:
David,

I heard of some similiar problems in Joe's shop today from a part-time LEO. One or two rounds out of 50-round boxes being flyers, consistently for different shooters. Not a good situation for police to have bullets flying off in the wrong direction.

If they have had quality problems there is no reason NOT to say who they are by name so people are especially attentive.

Perhaps it will serve notice to others manufacturers that they need to pay more attention to quality control.

Having had a gun blow up on me once with regular factory ammo, I see no reason to protect those that do not protect shooters. They are not giving ammo away these days!

Increased demand isn't justification for decreased QC/QA. It is a realistic by-product of trying to get as much out the door as possible but with prices being what they are I give no quarter to any business. Especially, one that is dealing with a product in which degraded quality can result in serious injury or death.

That being said... was it Federal? [smile]

If they have had quality problems there is no reason NOT to say who they are by name so people are especially attentive.
There is if you are a recognized gun writer who regularly authors articles for the "big name" gun magazines. Get caught trashing an advertiser once and you'll find your articles are suddenly not in that great a demand. (and yes, there are exceptions)

This is not a comment on Dave's integrity (which he has never given me any reason to question); just a recognition of the reality of the publishing/advertising business... sort of like how great guns made by firms that never buy advertising never seem to be the subject of journalistic coverage in these scholarly works.

Last edited:
On the subject of bad ammo . . .

And the beat goes on . . .

Someone’s rich twenty-two year old kid gets the gov. contract…do you think there may have been a campaign contribution somewhere along the line?

In March 2007, AEY signed a $298 million deal through a Defense contract to supply ammunition to Afghanistan's Army and police force. According to a New York Times report and U.S. Army officials who inspected the shipments, much of the ammunition was manufactured in 1966 in China. The obsolete and defective cartridges were shipped in poorly packed cardboard boxes that split open upon arrival, officials said.

There is if you are a recognized gun writer who regularly authors articles for the "big name" gun magazines. Get caught trashing and advertiser once and you'll find your articles are suddenly not in that great a demand. (and yes, there are exceptions)

This is not a comment on Dave's integrity (which he has never given me any reason to question); just a recognition of the reality of the publishing/advertising business... sort of like how great guns made by firms that never buy advertising never seem to be the subject of journalistic coverage in these scholarly works.

There is not today and will never be an excuse for selling the public short on faulty product. Don't add the post unless you have the balls to say where the problem may be. Damn the advertisers if they can't make or stand behind a good quality product because someone right behind them will do so. We haven't reduced our standards to China's as far as I know to date.

Any manufacturer can have a quality problem and with that comes the responsibility of letting the public know about it. I may be a gun rights advocate but I am also a quality advocate and not knowing who's screwing the pooch doesn't help any of us.

Most or any of us don't buy ammo at building 19 and we don't deserve seconds.[thinking]

Maybe we should start writing the manufacturers. Hell when a box of 9mm goes up in price 35% in the past year maybe we just cant have it in our hearts to just say "forget about it"! Checked out the price of 38, 44, or 45 caliber lately?

Hell if we are going to throw the standards and QC away. we might as well buy ammo from Pakastan! Better yet we can manufacture our own when we are pickled and come up with the same QC standards.

If I had a gun blow up because of bad ammo you guys would be first to know where, which, what, how and when. I don't understand why the OP starts a thread but doesn't mention names. What's the point?

If I had a gun blow up because of bad ammo you guys would be first to know where, which, what, how and when. I don't understand why the OP starts a thread but doesn't mention names. What's the point?

I think because he is a dealer and if he names them it would likely come back to hurt him. In this sport we are all feeding in the same pool so one has to be careful when naming names unless its extremely over the top.

Nonetheless, it is a PSA and whether valid or not its worth personal investigation.

The phrase "All manufacturers" tells me that by singling them out would'nt beneficial to anyone, because some people would just look @ those ones he singled out... That's why he said "All manufacturers" at least that's what I got out of it....

There is if you are a recognized gun writer who regularly authors articles for the "big name" gun magazines. Get caught trashing and advertiser once and you'll find your articles are suddenly not in that great a demand. (and yes, there are exceptions)

+1 (no reflection on Dave implied or intended)

Mark L.

I've never had trouble with any carry ammo, although I inspect it religiously for obvious problems. (eg, bad seated primers, etc).

FWIW most of the big names WANT to know if you find a problem, so contact them if you find bad ammo. More often than not they'll at least replace your bad box with a good box or three in return. It also helps them
isolate and remove any bad lots that may have escaped onto the market.

I've seen more bad ammo from shipping damage than anything else, though. (usually set back bullets) if the UPS guys decide to manhandle the cases of ammo a little too rough.

-Mike

I don't think ups knows the importance of handling packages carefully... unless it was their own....

Back
Top Bottom