Check That NH License in Your Wallet

This happened to me about six weeks ago: I pulled out my non-resident NH License and saw that all the ink had stuck to the plastic window. The front of the license was totally blank!
(I've had the license about two years)...I called the SP up in NH and the lady was very helpful (I'm not sure if it was the famous Rosemary or not now, I can't recall). She said to return the old license and that they would issue me a new one. I asked what the replacement fee was. She replied: "There is no replacement fee." I said: "I live in Mass where there is a fee for everything." She laughed.

A week later, I got my replacement license.

What a pleasant change from the way things are here in Mass.

Mark L.

Last edited:
The NR NH permits are much nicer than the R NH permits. It's just a piece of paper for the ressies. I imagine it'll get destroyed pretty quickly.

Yup my res permit is literally a 4X6 sheet of onion paper and serves as both my carry license and the receipt for my 10$ fee. I keep it in an envelope in my wallet since its as thin as a receipt and feels like it wants to rip by looking at it.

What do the non-res NH permits look like?

The NR NH permits are much nicer than the R NH permits. It's just a piece of paper for the ressies. I imagine it'll get destroyed pretty quickly.
Some people put theirs in do-it-yourself laminate sheets to keep it intact. Avery's laminating sheets are thin enough to fold, so even with it laminated, you don't need a 4" tall wallet...

She said to return the old license and that they would issue me a new one. I asked what the replacement fee was. She replied: "There is no replacement fee." I said: "I'm live in Mass where there is a fee for everything." She laughed.

Mark L.

Classic :)

Glad to hear they did a quick swap out for you.

I keep my resident permit at home and carry a photocopy with me.

Really? Is that legal? Ive never seen anything offical that said this was okay to do and have been paranoid that it wouldn't suffice....especially since you need to have the license on you for it to be valid.

Really? Is that legal? Ive never seen anything offical that said this was okay to do and have been paranoid that it wouldn't suffice....especially since you need to have the license on you for it to be valid.

Ah, yes, the "no one said it was OK" argument. Did you happen to see in NH RSA's where it's OK to wear green on St Patrick's Day? No? Does that mean you can't? That which is not proscribed is permitted.

There is no statutory requirement in NH to carry your Pistol and Revolver license on you. Check RSA 159:6. Compare this to hunting and fishing (RSA 214:1 The licensee shall carry such license on his person when so engaged, and the license shall be subject to inspection on demand of any person. ) and driving (RSA 263:2 Every person driving a motor vehicle shall have his driver's license upon his person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place and shall display the same on demand of and manually surrender the same into the hands of the demanding officer for the inspection thereof.)

I, like Mark above and many others, simply photocopy, reduce, and laminate mine out of convenience. Orginal sits in the file drawer.

I, like Mark above and many others, simply photocopy, reduce, and laminate mine out of convenience. Orginal sits in the file drawer.

I did not reduce or laminate mine, but I only carry a photocopy. I figure if it starts getting ratty I'll just make another copy of the original. Here in the live free or die state I'm doubt you would have anyone bust balls about having a photocopy instead of the original.

Is it safe to assume that this would be OK for a non-res to do also?
TIA
GAry

If you take the above commenters' opinions, unless a law specifically tells you that you can't, you can. I am not quite as aloof and would still want to confirm with someone official than rely on an internet opinion, though. After all, the last thing any gun owner needs is any questionable legal situation involving a firearm, in my opinion.

If you take the above commenters' opinions, unless a law specifically tells you that you can't, you can. I am not quite as aloof and would still want to confirm with someone official than rely on an internet opinion, though. After all, the last thing any gun owner needs is any questionable legal situation involving a firearm, in my opinion.
Hope you didn't wear green today, unless you got that legal opinion that said you could.

Hope you didn't wear green today, unless you got that legal opinion that said you could.

You're right....youre the senior legal expert here. I should have asked you. [rolleyes] Im sorry I even questioned your infinite wisdom. Because you think its okay, it must be okay....

Seriously though, i never said you were wrong, I simply don't trust the internet law opinions of strangers. Since it appears theres no written law about it, I'd rather confirm than make assumptions based on what others have decided is okay. Gun laws are quirky enough that its not a stretch of the imagination to think you might be misinformed.

Seems it really bothers you that I didnt say "thanks" and run off to kinkos to copy my license...

On a similar note - I copy the back of my grocery store's card (just the bar code) and laminate that, cuts my wallet down by about .5" - doesn't sound like a lot, unless you're sitting on it all day.

Sometimes I get questioned by the managers, who wonder if this is legal. I once replied, "Who are you going to call, the Stop and Shop cop?" It was refused once, and I left my groceries on the belt and said "have a nice day" - strangely, the card became legit when they'd have to put away the cart's worth of groceries.

You're right....youre the senior legal expert here. I should have asked you. [rolleyes] Im sorry I even questioned your infinite wisdom. Because you think its okay, it must be okay....

Seriously though, i never said you were wrong, I simply don't trust the internet law opinions of strangers. Since it appears theres no written law about it, I'd rather confirm than make assumptions based on what others have decided is okay. Gun laws are quirky enough that its not a stretch of the imagination to think you might be misinformed.

Seems it really bothers you that I didnt say "thanks" and run off to kinkos to copy my license...

Doesn't bother me a bit.

You read the black letter law. Maybe you could post some legal argument besides, "I don't know. We better ask Mom! We might in trouble!"

Last edited:
My plastic NH permit split in my wallet, I have it scotch taped together. I just took another look it at,, and it split in another area. More tape added. It might not be the license that's the problem , just my enormous, fat, ....

In New Hampshire, if I presented the license, someone would say thanks for taking the responsibility to fix the license rather than cost the taxpayers a few bucks to get a reissue. In Massachusetts, the attorney general would have me indicted because there is no law that specifically authorizes anyone to apply transparent scotch tape on to the license.

Last edited:
Yeah, the newer NR NH are similar to a CC. Anybody else here had a NR NH for awhile? The old ones were just part of the approval letter, that you cut out. They looked like they came out of a comic book.

The problem with "verifying it" is that in most cases all you're really doing is getting a second opinion from somebody who happens to work for a police department or some government office. What they tell you will carry no more weight in a court of law than the opinion you got on the Internet or from some guy at a gun shop or sportsmen's club. The best you can do, short of hiring an attorney, is to read the law for yourself. When you do, remember, you're never looking for some section that says you're allowed to do something, you're looking to see if there's some explicit prohibition.

Ken

I carry all my gun licenses, driver's license, and credit/bank cards in a $12 credit card wallet from American Eagle that's thin enough to ride in my front pocket.

No fuss with a big bulge in my butt pocket, no card breaking/bending/warping issues for me.

Back
Top Bottom