Cheap 22s

SKS Ray

NES Member
I don't know about the rest of you but if theres one thing I can't pass up is a cheap .22 rifle. I've gotten beater bolt action Mossbergs for as low as $30 and spent hours refinishing the stock and hunting down parts to make them look and function like new again. I've probably got more .22 rifles than any other type in my collection. I practically start drooling when I go into a gun shop and see a bunch of them standing up in a corner with low price tags on them. Winchesters, Remingtons, Mossbergs, etc. all cheap and fun to shoot, and restore.

I hear ya!

I have a project rifle myself right now. It was my dads, that was taken apart, and sat disassembled for the better part of 25 years, I got the stock all sanded down, and the action cleaned up and functioning. Now I just have one problem that I can't figure out what to do to fix.

It is a tube fed, and the tube is brass. If you stick something into the tube and run the follower down, it sticks. You basically have to hit the tube against a block of wood 20 or so times to get it to slowly come back up. It sounds like the spring is working, but the follower is binding on something. I have filled the tube with CLP and let it sit, I have pushed the follower all the way down with a cleaning rod, and put a brush on the end and worked it all around, but nothing seems to remedy it...

I would like to take the tube apart, and get in there with some brass cleaner, and a cleaning brush on a drill to get it all cleaned out and polished, but I just can't seem to find a way to get it apart... It sort of looks like the pin that you line up with the tube under the Mag then twist to lock into place also holds the end cap on, but there is no way to tap it out from the other side.......

Adam

Adam... have you tried Numrich's exploded parts diagrams? Thats how I found out how to do complete take downs on a few old rifles I have.

I'll tak a look at that... I'll have to pull the receiver out of the back of the safe so I can see what the make and model is.

Thanks
Adam

Back
Top Bottom