changing a s&w barrel ?

This is pretty much a gunsmith job, not a DIY, as special tools are required and a bit of experience is helpful. You will find the process detailed starting on page 93 of Kuhnhausen's book.

Note: the foregoing is based on the traditional S&W design. I know nothing about the "new" design, using separate barrel shrouds and "liners."

Maybe, maybe not

Some SW revolvers (early) have pinned barrels which make it hard. But with the right tools in can be done. I just did one for Roundgunner on SW revolver. Greg

Some SW revolvers (early) have pinned barrels which make it hard. But with the right tools in can be done. I just did one for Roundgunner on SW revolver. Greg

But you're a gunsmith, and presumably have S&W barrel blocks and a frame wrench (e.g., Brownells # 080-850-02)?

I am aware (second hand) of one case where, after somehow chucking the barrel, a DIYer tried to back off the frame by putting a wooden hammer handle through the frame opening and bunged the frame out of square.

Last edited:
barrel

I think I'll just leave the stock 2 1/2 inch barrel alone.

RGS, I the 625-3 in the build thread. Very, very nice. Guess I have to buy another gun. Trying to get a 686 SSR. Have you or Greg seen one yet? I have Carl at FS on the job trying to get me one. Looks like a PERFECT IDPA gun.

Last edited:
I got the idea after seeing Fred's Dan Wesson 357 in the classifieds. Evidently its completely different changing a Smith vs Dan Wesson.

Looks I'll be looking at the 686 SSR or the 627.

I think I'll just leave the stock 2 1/2 inch barrel alone.

RGS, I the 625-3 in the build thread. Very, very nice. Guess I have to buy another gun. Trying to get a 686 SSR. Have you or Greg seen one yet? I have Carl at FS on the job trying to get me one. Looks like a PERFECT IDPA gun.

686SSR is not out yet. It was due for release in August but we all know how that goes.

as an FYI, my 625 is a -8

I called S&W customer service. They had four 686 SSR's in house, but they were already sold. They plan to do another limited production run soon, so I've placed an order for one through Four Seasons. Can't wait to get one.

Back
Top Bottom