Champion shooter Jerry Miculek reviews the correct way to grip your rifle to create a

Jerry is a competitor and does not worry about exposing his elbows
Jim Crews advocated elbows down.
If you bought the book you would know that (shameless plug)

I have found that Jerry's grip and stance is a very fast and stable way to drive a rifle. Is it the safest when someone is shooting back? I don't know. But I think the magpul guys recently changed to a support elbow up, hand at the end of the forearm.

I would guess, that it gives the other guy more to shoot at. But I still haven't bought Jim Crews' book. [laugh]

A number of years ago, I knew a guy that was on Iwo Jima. Never said anything that made me doubt the claim. Well he didn't tell me he was on Iwo, others did. That is what made it believable. He said they gave the BAR to the smallest guy in the squad. Made for a smaller target.

B

Maybe this is a silly question, but what is the issue with the arms up?

B

For a couple of years now shooting with your strong side elbow anywhere other than down by your side has been considered wrong by the tacticool masters. Really, who the F cares what some tactical guru thinks about style.

Their argument is that you make a smaller profile target. Gimme a break......

Never mind that "chicken-winging" (as the tacticool refer to shooting elbow up) is the ONLY way to handle a rifle with a conventional stock, particularly in anything stronger than 223.

For a couple of years now shooting with your strong side elbow anywhere other than down by your side has been considered wrong by the tacticool masters. Really, who the F cares what some tactical guru thinks about style.

Their argument is that you make a smaller profile target. Gimme a break......

Never mind that "chicken-winging" (as the tacticool refer to shooting elbow up) is the ONLY way to handle a rifle with a conventional stock, particularly in anything stronger than 223.

So any trainer who advocates strong arm down is suddenly a "tacticool master?" Nice objective viewpoint with regard to competing techniques.

When you make comments like "chicken-winging...is the ONLY way to handle a rifle with a conventional stock..." you sound every bit as dogmatic as those "tacticool masters" you denigrate.

My Korean War vet grandfather was trained by the US Army in the early 1950's to fire a pistol one handed, with his body turned to form the thinnest possible profile. They told him to let the gun rise with recoil and to let gravity drop the gun back on target. Shooting like this today is considered foolish considering the shape and purpose of body armor.

IMO this just highlights differences between what makes sense in a competition vs. what makes sense on a two way range. But rifles aren't my cup o' tea, so what do I know?

If a guy can put rounds on target 10 times faster than a properly trained shooter who tucks his elbows, it doesn't really matter much how he holds his rifle.

This. Results matter more than pretty.

I believe the competition arena has alot to offer us in the area of better shooting techniques. I think the question about your elbow sticking out becomes an issue only when you are shooting around cover and bad guys are shooting back at you. The elbow out there is a target indicator to the bad guy and I know I would be shooting at it if I saw it and it would give me a warning that someone is about to poke around the corner. (target indicator) Elbows down when shooting around cover just makes more sense.

YMMV

Any comments? It's not how Jim Crews taught me.
So?

One of the things that I really respect about Ayoob is that when I took LFI-1, he taught us multiple ways to do the same thing, discussed the pros and cons, and let us decide which worked for us. He taught us Weaver, Chapman, and Isosceles stances. He taught us to do an emergency reload using the slide stop or by grabbing the slide. He insisted that we perform each alternative until we were proficient enough to make a decision as to which worked for us.

There are many different ways to shoot a rifle. Jim Crews can do it very well. So can Jerry Miculek. One isn't right and the other isn't wrong. They're just different. Try both, consider the pros and cons, and decide which works for you.

Think of it a different way. Suppose you think Jerry Miculek's "chicken wings" is the wrong way to do it. Suppose I shot without doing the chicken wings. Put Jerry against me, with Simunition rounds in AR15s. How long do you think it would take before Jerry "killed" me? I'd give me about 2 seconds, if I was lucky.

In other words, it ain't the chicken wings.

Last edited:
There are many different ways to shoot a rifle. Jim Crews can do it very well. So can Jerry Miculek. One isn't right and the other isn't wrong. They're just different. Try both, consider the pros and cons, and decide which works for you.

I think finding what works for a shooter is very important. The same rifle will shoot differently for different people. You need to find what techniques makes the rifle track fast and consistent. but I feel the elbow up, weak hand far out on the forearms is the best way. I also believe that, just like the high thumb grip and ISO stance, they are mechanically superior stances. But there other factors involved depending on what you are training for and these factors influence what stance you will use

For me, I don't want the dot to move and if it does, it must track straight up and right back to the same spot. I will dump a lot of rounds just watching the dot making very slight changes in my grip, stance, elbow positions, centerline of the gun. Then I change the way I stand, normal stance, goofy footed, around walls etc, to see if the way I am holding the rifle will allow for consistency in all positions.

Last edited:
I also believe that, just like the high thumb grip and ISO stance, they are mechanically superior stances.
I have to admit that I am, as well, a high thumb, ISO shooter. I came to that after trying Ayoob's crush grip, weaver, chapman, etc. It works better for me.

Back
Top Bottom