Certification to become a Mass compliant Handgun Safety instructor

HI all!
I'm an NRA certified instructor for Rifle. I'd like to branch out and become Mass certified to teach the Basic Firearm course to help people obtain their License to Carry and FID cards.
Where can I start? was figuring I'd have to be pistol instructor certified, but where do I go from there? I can't seem to find much info about this ;-(

thanks all!
Mike B

If you join GOAL I know that they run the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course at least once if not more every year. There are others on here that teach it periodically, too. Generally speaking MA based trainers for this course will equip you with what you need to get the cert from the state to issue certs to students who pass the basic pistol course, so they can get an LTC.

-Mike

so all I need is to become Pistol Instructor Certified? I assume there's a form to fill out for the state, but is there a certification test for the State or anything like that as well? or is it basically all I need is the Pistol Instructor cert from the NRA?

thanks guys!
Mike B

from Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS)

5.15 CMR 3.00 - Firearms Safety Instructors Certification; Basic Firearms Safety Course; and Firearms Surrender Program

3.04: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification
(1) Requirements: For certification as a firearms safety instructor, a person shall be properly licensed with a FID card or LTC as required by law, and may only offer instructions on those firearms for which he is licensed. In addition BFS instructors shall provide documentation to verify status as at least one of the following:
(a) a firearms instructor of the NRA, or other nationally recognized organization that teaches firearms safety, or a firearms instructor certified by such organization;
(b) a federal, state or municipal law enforcement firearms instructor;
(c) a United States military firearms instructor;
(d) a DLE basic hunter education instructor;
(e) a firearms instructor of the MCJTC, or a firearms instructor certified by the MCJTC;
(f) a firearms instructor of afirearms manufacturer or its academy, or a firearms instructor certified by such academy; or
(g) any other person, in the discretion of the Colonel, competent to give instruction in a BFS course, which may include any person who operates a firearms safety course or program as described in G.L. c. 140, § 131P(b).
(2)Application.: An application for certification as a BFS instructor can be obtained by writing to the Department of State Police, Licensing Unit, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702. Upon filling out the application and submitting the application fee, as set forth in the application, and required documentation, the package can be mailed or delivered to the same address. The Colonel may require additional verifying information as deemed necessary before issuing certification. Certification or non-approval will be mailed to the applicant.
(3) Instructor Certification:Certification as a firearms safety instructor shall be valid for a period of ten years, unless sooner revoked because of unsuitability, in the discretion of the Colonel. Each BFS Instructor's Certificate shall be on a form prescribed by the Colonel and shall be designated a unique number.
(4) Certified Instructor Obligation: Instructors shall forward information regarding students who successfully complete an instructor's BFS course, on a form prescribed by the Colonel to:
The Department of State Police, Firearm Licensing Unit, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702

so all I need is to become Pistol Instructor Certified? I assume there's a form to fill out for the state, but is there a certification test for the State or anything like that as well? or is it basically all I need is the Pistol Instructor cert from the NRA?
NRA pistol certification; a current LTC; and $50 is all you need for a 10 year MA instructor certification.

There's a simple one-page form you need to fill out. It's not available from MSP on-line, but here's a copy that will work. Jon just finished a Pistol/HFS instructor course today at GOAL, and I finished one at Pelham. Too bad you didn't ask a week ago.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom