Cerakote or Reblue a revolver?

Anyone ever cerakote their revolver? I am trying to weigh cerakoting it or re-blueing it. I picked up an older smith model 36 that has definitely seen better days, but the price was right. Thought I might spruce it up a bit. Anyone have input? Thanks in advance.

I've seen cerakoted revolvers, i think they look awesome. if one of my blued revolvers ever needs refinishing, that's the way i'd go, at least one of them anyway. check out cerakotes website for pictures, there are a few there for reference. also if your local, new england shooters where house has a cerakoted ruger vaquero i think it is on display if you wanted to check it out. plus they have a guy that does cerakote for them.

Anyone ever cerakote their revolver? I am trying to weigh cerakoting it or re-blueing it. I picked up an older smith model 36 that has definitely seen better days, but the price was right. Thought I might spruce it up a bit. Anyone have input? Thanks in advance.

So now I know who picked that up! Dang, I was too slow [laugh]

I don't want jack the thread. I am considering an old S&W revolver, would having it reblued lower the value of the gun?
depends on which gun it is, and what condition it is in. i have a really nasty old revolver that on its own is only worth about $150, and i plan on getting it cerakoted once i find the parts i need.. it wont lower the value cause the gun is not worth much in the first place. on the other hand, if it looks good enough, it might increase the value for the right person. context is everything, etc etc

Im not worried about lowering the value, it only cost me 150 bucks. I would even settle for a good amateur cerakote job if there are any non professionals reading this, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a carry gun, I'd leave it the way it is. It's only going to get dinged up again. With that said, there is nothing sexier then a nicely blued revolver.

Funny you ask, I recently asked the same thing! My Model 36 has bluing wear that is turned brown and looks ugly, so it was either a S&W Factory re blue or cerakoting. Re bluing is classic, but it will wear fast again. Cerakoting will not, so if it's a gun you're not interested in "collector" status which it seems like you're not since it was cheap, cerakote it. I'm going to because my Model 36 is my carry gun and it will get dinged, but cerakoting resists dinging and rust. The only people that would get mad about cerakoting are purists and collectors, but re-finishing at all lowers collector value so it doesn't matter.

I had my Model 19 reblued. I bought it used and it had a couple corrosion pits on the frame. It came out gorgeous. Just gorgeous. As for changing the value, mine is a simple 4" Model 19. It's not a rare, collectible gun.

Yes, I've put way more into the gun than I could get out of it. But I don't care, I like it.

14555d1360276776-model-10-nice-affordable-image.jpg

Damn Cerakote does look good on revolvers.

Back
Top Bottom