Celebrate the 1911 in 2011?

I like the idea of a group buy, did this lose momentum?

I've been giving this alot of thought lately & I've come to the conclusion that as much as I'd like to move forward with this buy, there just seems to be too many variables to deal with. It's not like were buying AR lowers. Everybody is going to want something different. That's the beauty of building a custom gun. As far as frames go you have Ramped, non ramped, standard, long wide, tactical rail, short & long dust covers etc, etc. All the prices are different. I'm not trying to discourage the buy. I'm just thinking for me personally, instead of waiting & possibly saving a little money, I'd rather just move ahead on my own, & get what I want without dealing with all the confusion.

There was a brief discussion on parts from Remsport...I'm sure there are a lot of parts that everyone will want. There could be group buys on those. I'm not sure what the offer from Remsport was, but maybe some variation in slides and frames would be allowed, as well.

I've been giving this alot of thought lately & I've come to the conclusion that as much as I'd like to move forward with this buy, there just seems to be too many variables to deal with. It's not like were buying AR lowers. Everybody is going to want something different. That's the beauty of building a custom gun. As far as frames go you have Ramped, non ramped, standard, long wide, tactical rail, short & long dust covers etc, etc. All the prices are different. I'm not trying to discourage the buy. I'm just thinking for me personally, instead of waiting & possibly saving a little money, I'd rather just move ahead on my own, & get what I want without dealing with all the confusion.

If you are talking about the STI frame.
It can be trimmed to 3 options
Standard
tactical
5" which is the long wide dust cover

They offer a 6" slide, but very few people buy these,

No need to get ramped because that will depend on what barrel you are using... gunsmith will cut this. same with drill and tap for a mount.

And no need to get any of the colored grips or triggers

Not sure if conversation has moved on, but these patents are indeed expired, if I do my math right.They did so in 2008. As design patents, they last for 14 years after the issue, and cannot be renewed.

Edited to reverse my first erroneous conclusion!

There may be other patents that prevent this design from being used, but it ain't these.

Last edited:
Sandy Strayer created a new design a couple of years ago, which is why SVI now offers THREE different size grips, each with a choice of texture, in three different metals; aluminum, carbon steel and stainless steel. I've been shooting the new design for a year now and find it a great improvement over the old one.

I would be down for a shoot.. I just bought a Remsport 1911 Frame, slide, barrel.. I just have to buy the rest of the parts when I get the funds and build it, hopefully before 2011. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom