CCW Visiting NH College Campus

First let me say I searched and can't find any recent definitive information on this.

Here's the back story: I was chatting with a girl who attends a local college. She asked if I'd seen the campus, which is apparently very nice. I said no and asked if she'd give me a tour. She said yes, I got her number, everything's good.

Now my issue is to carry or not to carry. As far as I've been able to find there isn't any law against carrying on a college campus in NH. Obviously though, most colleges are going to be substantially more firm on the "we don't want you or your gun here" stance than, say, Starbucks. What to do? To me a college is the number one place I feel I need to carry most, yet it is the most gun-unfriendly place there is, short of a court or post office. Any thoughts would be helpful.

I have confirmed this with PGNH's legal expert a few years ago.

However, my recommendation would vary depending on what you plan on doing on-campus.

If I were taking a walking tour of the campus, CCW (emphasis on concealed) would be my approach.

If you were dating the young lady and touring the campus, her dorm, etc. I would leave it locked in my car. If anyone sees it on campus, given the paranoia of events over the past few years, it's likely to turn into a scene and a lock-down. After getting to know the young lady and her accepting your shooting hobby and concern for safety, my attitude would change here in her presence (assuming NO roommates present . . . as people love to gossip or spread stuff on faceplant, etc.).

These recommendations are not "law" just being prudent in today's society and avoiding conflict.

Good tips. I certainly would be carrying concealed (I haven't even considered OC since getting my CCW permit). She doesn't live on campus, so the dorm issue isn't likely, however I wouldn't be shocked if I end up going into a building or two. I was thinking of carrying my micro gun in appendix carry so as to have the smallest gun in the spot that prints the least. A gun in my car does no good if I'm the unlucky SOB taking a campus tour on the day some nut decides we need another media frenzy. I think leaving it in the car is really no better than leaving it at home, generally.

Tough situation because I don't know what we'll be doing and the best way to begin a date isn't with, "Hey so I carry a gun, what are we going to be doing on campus?"

The legality is my largest concern at the end of the day. I think I'll probably go with my micro pistol and might even wear pants with a cargo pocket and do pocket carry in a closed pocket, so there's no chance of it being seen and alarming someone. 7 rounds of 9mm is much better in a pinch than my Glock 250 yards away in my car.

Just make sure you have a snappy answer to the old, "Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

[rofl]

It's perfectly legal to carry any gun you wish, in any manner that you wish, on the entire campus including inside buildings.

The only legal sanction you could face would be trespass, if told to leave and refusing to do so.

The only way you would face that even that, is if you come to the attention of the administration.

In other words, while it's legal to carry however you want, if your concern is not having your plans interrupted, then just carry concealed with no worries.

Edit to add: I offer that advice as a proponent of open carry, who believes USNH has zero legal authority to restrict guns in any way.

Last edited:
It's perfectly legal to carry any gun you wish, in any manner that you wish, on the entire campus including inside buildings.

The only legal sanction you could face would be trespass, if told to leave and refusing to do so.

The only way you would face that even that, is if you come to the attention of the administration.

In other words, while it's legal to carry however you want, if your concern is not having your plans interrupted, then just carry concealed with no worries.

Edit to add: I offer that advice as a proponent of open carry, who believes USNH has zero legal authority to restrict guns in any way.

I'm going to add that USNH believes that they are "special" and therefore do not fall under the state pre-emption law on handguns.

So if you are discovered to be carrying by UNH police they might decide to arrest you and charge you (with what I don't know, probably trespassing) since they wrongfully believe they have authority to say "no guns on campus."

Basically what I am saying here is if discovered, you will be the test case to clarify once and for all the USNH policy of banning guns because USNH will not likely back down and will press charges due to their anti 2A views.

They may reach a point in the court system where they don't appeal to NHSC but no one knows that for sure.

I would carry anyway. My life is more important than their "policy."

I'll gladly fight them in court if it becomes required. I'm sure I could gin up enough support from NES and the rest of NH so that the legal bills would not destroy me financially.

Ya the college isn't USNH and is a smaller university (not in a city). I've been carrying for a while and have never had my gun show. I'm not overly concerned. I certainly can't afford to end up in court to fight off BS charges, but the only way I'd get caught with it is if I had to walk through a metal detector, which I don't think they have.

Ya the college isn't USNH and is a smaller university (not in a city). I've been carrying for a while and have never had my gun show. I'm not overly concerned. I certainly can't afford to end up in court to fight off BS charges, but the only way I'd get caught with it is if I had to walk through a metal detector, which I don't think they have.

. . . or the girl mentions it on faceplant/twitter . . . or to a roommate/friend who does so. "Hey guess what? My boyfriend/friend's boyfriend carries a gun to protect them!" is all that it takes to bring unwanted attention. And today's younger crowd posts their lives blow by blow on these social media sites!

. . . or the girl mentions it on faceplant/twitter . . . or to a roommate/friend who does so. "Hey guess what? My boyfriend/friend's boyfriend carries a gun to protect them!" is all that it takes to bring unwanted attention. And today's younger crowd posts their lives blow by blow on these social media sites!

Yep. I won't be informing her I carry at this point so that should be an issue up front. I'm a heavy Facebook user but I mix a lot of business and pro-2A stuff and am pretty practiced at keeping them separated so my firearm ownership doesn't impact networking for work. That of course doesn't mean everyone else has the same discipline on the site, but I'm well versed in exercising caution when it comes to Facebook.

Ya the college isn't USNH and is a smaller university (not in a city).

Terminology check: USNH is not a particular school, it's the University System of New Hampshire. UNH, Plymouth State, Keene State, and Granite State.

If it's a public institution, it's USNH.

SNHU (Southern NH U.) is private, as is Dartmouth, Franklin Pierce, Daniel Webster, etc.

Terminology check: USNH is not a particular school, it's the University System of New Hampshire. UNH, Plymouth State, Keene State, and Granite State.

SNHU (Southern NH U.) is private, as is Dartmouth, Franklin Pierce, Daniel Webster, etc.

Ah, well that's very helpful. It's private.

Also the tech colleges, NHCTC in Stratham, Laconia, Pease, Manchester, and NHTI in Concord are also public schools and therefore not in compliance with state law on handguns. I'm sure I missed a city with one in it as well.

I went to NHTI and can attest that while they have "security" AKA mall cops, the State Police barracks / training center is on campus so effectively, state police respond to anything that security escalates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom