CCW permit question. MA to RI

Hello everyone, I'm a new poster and have been looking all over the forum for the last couple days. I used the search and also looked through the State Laws section quite a bit. A lot of my questions were answered and I learned a lot, but I guess my situation is a little specific so I thought I'd come right out and ask for some advice.

I live in MA and while I do not currently have a CCW Permit(or any fid) I have been planning(and procrastinating) to get it for a while. I'm also thinking about moving down to Rhode Island within the next year. So I guess my question is whether it is worth my time/money/etc. to try and get my MA LTC if I'm going to be leaving the state to go somewhere it is null and void? Also if would help or hurt my chances of then getting one if I relocate to RI? Or should I just put if off until I move. I have heard mixed reviews about the difficulty of RI laws.

Thanks in advance, I hope this makes sense, and I apologize if this subject has been touched on before but I really couldn't find anything that addressed someone not already licensed.

You are required to notify MA that you have moved, at which point your MA LTC will be cancelled. You will be eligible to apply for a MA non-resident LTC (in person visit required, $100/year). I doubt it would hav emuch impact on your chances of a RI permit - see www.cralri.com for some interesting discussions on RI licensing.

Having a MA ltc means nothing in RI. It won't help towards getting your permit here. If you are serious about getting an ltc for RI pick your town carefully. A lot of towns do not issue and you would have to try to get an AG permit. When getting an AG permit it will be restricted to work only. If you happen to get a town permit your golden. No 7 day waiting period and most likely unrestricted.

ETA: You don't need any silly FID to buy a long gun here. You do need a "blue card" to buy a pistol though. It's a very easy test that you can take at any shop and its free.

Last edited:
ETA: You don't need any silly FID to buy a long gun here. You do need a "blue card" to buy a pistol though. It's a very easy test that you can take at any shop and its free.

Thanks for the input! So is the "blue card" more or less an equivalent of a MA LTC A w/restrictions?

A blue card only allows you to PURCHASE a handgun. By no means is it a permit to carry.

There is a fundamental difference in the meaning fo the word "Carry" in MA law vs. most other states.

In most states, if you take a gun to the range locked in the trunk of your car you are considered to be "transporting" the gun, not "carrying" it. In MA, that's considered a form of "carry" and thus requires a carry permit. I am not familiar with what modes of transport and carry are permitted with a RI blue card - someone from RI can probably fill us in.

Back
Top Bottom