CCI 22 amo

I like the CCI blue tips. Noticeably quieter than most standard velocity out of the 617.
I'm told (but haven't tried it out yet) that Eley Contact is fairly quiet, or as quiet as the CCI blue tips.
I assume you're referring to the lead free subsonics? (Blue tip). I've been trying to find some, but like everything else, OOS. They are supposed to reduce fouling substantially in a can. I HAVE found Remington Subsonic fairly regularly at WM, for about $6 a hundred. Waiting on a .22 can.

Are the CCI quiets much quieter then the CCI standard velocity which usually always stays sub sonic? Edit to add, in a suppressed firearm.

It’s not significant In a suppressed pistol because as you noted only the hottest CCI go supersonic, CCI Stingers for example.

I assume you're referring to the lead free subsonics? (Blue tip). I've been trying to find some, but like everything else, OOS. They are supposed to reduce fouling substantially in a can. I HAVE found Remington Subsonic fairly regularly at WM, for about $6 a hundred. Waiting on a .22 can.

Yes Sir, the poly/powder coated. Figured I'd try em out. Haven't tried them in anything with a can. Mostly El-Manual type stuff. Bolt action, lever gun, revolver.

Yes Sir, the poly/powder coated. Figured I'd try em out. Haven't tried them in anything with a can. Mostly El-Manual type stuff. Bolt action, lever gun, revolver.
While waiting on my .22 stamp, I'm tempted to try my .30 can on my .22 1911. I have the adaptor, but I hear it's not a good idea to shoot .22 thru a non user serviceable can. Thought a few blue tips might not hurt.

22 shorts. Shooting them makes me laugh. Bought a bunch to shoot on my property. Hitting the target is about as loud as the shot.
Also hard to find sometimes. Another item Im sure is a short production run . Growing up 22 shorts where very popular but if you did not buy what gou needed for the year by mid may it would be gone.

Contact seems to be about 300 fps faster than Quiet with a 42 grain non segmented bullet. Eley does make a version of the quiet but it seems to have the same specs for bullet and velocity as contact... in any case, go here for more information:
They are an Eley distributor and have all the cool stuff needed for serious .22 shooting...
they have nice ammo, they are into the highend 22lr game with both feet.

Going to be hard living with only one kidney for now on.....
I want to buy more from that shop but they are so damn expensive.. (even during non WuFlu times).
Thier prices are not terrible , considering the inventory . i have not bought a lot from them but 9.5/10 times he has what I want when I go in. Gene has never not offered to get what I want the few times He did not have what I wanted.

What is up with CCI ammo?
We use the CCI quiet-22 segmented in our bolt action 22 for fun.
It is quiet so the neighbors don’t get excited and is easier to use than a break barrel pellet gun.
I went to order another 1,000 rounds and everyone is out of stock with no no option to back order.
Even the CCI web site gives little info..
Anyone know what is going on?

Are there any alternatives that are quiet ?
Dude, 3-4 weeks ago, KTP had piles of .22, Cabelas had hundreds of bricks, every gun store I went to had A LOT of CCI and other .22LR ammo.

Maybe all the people from commie states have been buying the online supply?

I’m going to throw a question out there that might hijack this thread. But let’s be honest, it’s a thread that needs to be hijacked. I’ve got some 22LR for my 10/22 that is 40 grain, some that’s 30 grain and some that’s in the 20’s. I noticed CCI gives word labels to their rounds-“target/plinking,” “varmint,” “small game.”
Is there truly a difference between these? I’m a bit of a 22LR noob (obviously). I’ve done some googling and I understand that the grain refers to the size of the bullet not the powder (I was surprised by that). But the target/plinking ammo is 40 and the varmint one is less than that. I would’ve thought it’d be the opposite. Will the target/plinking one work well on small animals too? Looking for any feedback folks can throw out there.
theres so much going on with any ammo selection it can be head spinning. Now 22lr is not short on head spinning options and frankly 80% is just marketing. The 22lr has been around since 1884
Now there are a few differences.
Keep in mind all 22lr (most ammo) is tested out of a dedicated test barrel of 28" IIRC this was sent to me by CCI years ago when I was asking about accuracy standards on CCI SV
Here is my general idea of 22lr
22lr Match ammo is almost always around 1040-1080 fps. high end match is carefully inspected and assembled. There is a difference if you and your rifle can deliver. Velocity from high end match ammo is very consistent especially out of a match chamber.
Target ammo is for the most part a step down from match with looser tolerances.
Varmint ammo: Well lets see, whats varmint?
Basically animals from ground hogs to small coyote. That for the most part are dispatched because they are destroying crops or farm animals with little intention of eating them so a fast expanding flesh destroying ammo is ok.
Varmint ammo is generally 30-36 grains at 1250fps+ this gets added energy down range and allows segmented bullets to segment.
Then there is your plinking/target ammo thats in bulk boxes. This is the stuff that is run through the machines with what ever they want to with not much in the way of consistency.

They key to 22lr is to find something that you and rifle like and buy as much of the same lot number as you can afford/need
For the high end 22 shooters they go to eley or lapua and have thier rifles matched up to particular lots. Then buy 50k rounds or so

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOWQSetTU4

Last edited:
What is up with CCI ammo?
We use the CCI quiet-22 segmented in our bolt action 22 for fun.
It is quiet so the neighbors don’t get excited and is easier to use than a break barrel pellet gun.
I went to order another 1,000 rounds and everyone is out of stock with no no option to back order.
Even the CCI web site gives little info..
Anyone know what is going on?

Are there any alternatives that are quiet ?
Just remember that every rifle is different and seems to have a particular load that it does its absolute best with. My daughter's .22 is a bolt-action Savage FV-SR with a 16.5" heavy barrel. For low-noise shooting, we find it to be extremely accurate with Remington 29-grain Shorts. Don't know if you want to try them in your own .22 rifle, but we have very good results with this load.

Outdoor Limited has a good supply of 22 LR.... $.05 - .09 / Round
They're about and hour from me, not sure if they'll ship to MA... Call him, he's good to work with.

Thanks Enbloc
Sure.
What I did in the beginning of my shooting addiction was; whenever I picked up a new caliber, I would read as much as I could find about that round.
History/capabilities/ballistics/issues and finally good old opinions. Keep in mind that was when paper was king, so mostly books, magazines, loading manuals
and Shotgun News.
Today, I can be brought up to date pretty quick with a few keystrokes and an hour to kill. Still miss the paper though...

Some guys just want to push lead down-range, and I can appreciate that. I'm a little 'different'.

Have a fun journey and enjoy the smell of the roses (primer & powder) along the way...
~Enbloc

heres a ok article and shot with a reasonable affordable 22

this article is a little old. I like to read this stuff because I cant get to the range as often as I like.
this test was done with the Match grade ammo with a $10k rifle

So, 40gn is typically for plinking and 36gn hollow point is typically hunting/small game, but nearly all of it is interchangeable.
The biggest factor with .22 rimfire is will it feed/fire/eject in your firearm (semi-auto having the biggest demand on compatibility)

.22 ammo has the widest range of idiosyncrasies of any ammo, at any time, in the history of its manufacture.
Volumes of data/facts/opinions/wives tails could fill the Boston Public Library

It is also one of the funnest rounds you will ever love...
~Enbloc
Totally agree.

As far as hunting Vs plinking......with hunting small game if you hit a rabbit or squirrel in the head or engine room with just about any 22lr projo it's a dead game animal.

The only real key is finding what works reliably and is accurate in your gun.

Back
Top Bottom