• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CC with LTC-A in neighboring states

I googled around and searched the forums, but I am still not sure I got it right. Is it true that the only state in Northeast where one can concealed carry with MA LTC-A license is VT? Does the new ME law not apply to us?

I can't speak to your second question, but I can absolutely tell you that your MA LTC-A license is completely meaningless in Connecticut. On the other hand, if you've taken an NRA basic pistol course, it's pretty easy to get a non-resident CT permit.

I googled around and searched the forums, but I am still not sure I got it right. Is it true that the only state in Northeast where one can concealed carry with MA LTC-A license is VT? Does the new ME law not apply to us?

Maine is constitutional carry as well now. A person can carry in both Vermont and Maine with no license at all. NH, CT and RI all require non-resident licenses to carry, which vary in their difficulty to obtain. NH is very easy. CT isn't bad. RI sucks.

There is a whole thread about the new Maine law. Just punch in "Maine" for your search in the forum and it will probably pop up.

ETA I searched for "Maine concealed" and the this was one of the top results: Link
BTW, IANAL, too! :D

Last edited:
RI all require non-resident licenses to carry

Someone with an unrestricted LTC-A can carry in RI provided they are only driving through the state and do not stop along the way. ie. Drive from Seekonk, MA through RI without stopping along the way and end the trip in Douglas MA you are GTG.

IANAL

ME is now constitutional carry, you can carry there but if stopped for speeding etc you have a duty to inform the cop you are carrying. There is a thread on it in the general topics section on ME con carry look at that to see the restrictions on where you can carry, etc.

Someone with an unrestricted LTC-A can carry in RI provided they are only driving through the state and do not stop along the way. ie. Drive from Seekonk, MA through RI without stopping along the way and end the trip in Douglas MA you are GTG.

IANAL
Subtle point - it is "without intent to detain or delay one's self", which theoretically provides protection in the event of a vehicular breakdown.

I believe you can open carry in NH without a license, except for in a car.

correct. inside a vehicle the gun is considered concealed and must be unloaded.

OP: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

good place to start, of course always research state laws rather than trusting just one source on the internet.

To put a finer point on it.

1) in the car, the gun must be unloaded, whether concealed or not. A magazine can be kept right next to it.
2) Openly carried, the gun can be loaded
3) carried concealed, the gun must be unloaded. - I used to do this with an OWB glock when I went to NH with just a T shirt over it. I carried a mag in my weak hand back pocket. Not ideal, but not terrible.

Back
Top Bottom