CC by a school

MJM

My wife and i live in a neighborhood in NH that has a highschool and middle school within walking distance. I am aware of the 1000 ft law for school zones and weapons. We walk regularly and often, by or near one of the schools. how does this apply if i am walking by the school, not on the property, while carrying concealed or even if i need to protect myself in a deadly force encounter in this area. hypothetical: say they bust my balls for j-walking or something fairly benign when i am near one of these schools and i inform them that i am carrying. would i be in violation? i guess i would right? please advise.

Devil's Advocate:

WHY would you notify that you were carrying if they are giving you a ticket for jay-walking?

Why CREATE trouble for yourself? There is no law (AFAIK) in NH that you have to notify on contact with a LEO.

Devil's Advocate:

WHY would you notify that you were carrying if they are giving you a ticket for jay-walking?

Why CREATE trouble for yourself? There is no law (AFAIK) in NH that you have to notify on contact with a LEO.

I hear if in Ma and you fail to notify and they find it then your in big trouble!!

I hear if in Ma and you fail to notify and they find it then your in big trouble!!

If you decide to notify every LEO you run into on casual contact that you are carrying, you are likely to suffer a few cases of "road rash" in MA! Try it in Boston and let me know how it goes! [rolleyes]

Also, it appears that nobody reads the OP or a thread PRIOR to commenting with advice! [thinking]

OP shows as being in NH, he also stated in the 1st post that he was asking about NH. MA is irrelevant.

In any case, the law is the same in both states . . . no requirement to notify. If you are being asked out of your car and you are carrying and about to be cuffed and stuffed, that's a different story.

If you decide to notify every LEO you run into on casual contact that you are carrying, you are likely to suffer a few cases of "road rash" in MA! Try it in Boston and let me know how it goes! [rolleyes]

Also, it appears that nobody reads the OP or a thread PRIOR to commenting with advice! [thinking]

OP shows as being in NH, he also stated in the 1st post that he was asking about NH. MA is irrelevant.

In any case, the law is the same in both states . . . no requirement to notify. If you are being asked out of your car and you are carrying and about to be cuffed and stuffed, that's a different story.
Good advice.

And, LenS wins the saint-of-the-day award for not going Scrivener on either post.

understood about voluntarily informing LEO about carrying in NH. Have spoken with many local and state LEO all of which say that they would rather know then find out when you lean over for your registration and you print or your cover garment exposes your handgun. You will likely be asked to step outside the vehicle in that situation and possibly at gunpoint at that time for everyones safety. i have voluntarily informed in the past,produced my CC permit and have been thanked and treated better than i have ever been in a traffic stop. I am also aware of a situation where a local officer was conducting interviews at a scene and noticed the guy they were interviewing was postioning himself in an akward manner and acting nervous. He was not the person of interest but a witness. The cop got suspicous and asked him what he was hiding and when he informed the cop he had a handgun. He was actually "detained" while the officers secured the weapon at their discression.

Back from the tangent[wink]i guess my original post was not specific enough but i did allude to being in the neighborhood and having a deadly force encounter. more specific in re: OP

-say i am in a neighborhood and the school is not within sight but i am within the 1000ft of the property and need to react, shoot and draw my weapon =
any legal repurcussions?

understood about voluntarily informing LEO about carrying in NH. Have spoken with many local and state LEO all of which say that they would rather know then find out when you lean over for your registration and you print or your cover garment exposes your handgun. You will likely be asked to step outside the vehicle in that situation and possibly at gunpoint at that time for everyones safety. i have voluntarily informed in the past,produced my CC permit and have been thanked and treated better than i have ever been in a traffic stop. I am also aware of a situation where a local officer was conducting interviews at a scene and noticed the guy they were interviewing was postioning himself in an akward manner and acting nervous. He was not the person of interest but a witness. The cop got suspicous and asked him what he was hiding and when he informed the cop he had a handgun. He was actually "detained" while the officers secured the weapon at their discression.

Back from the tangent[wink]i guess my original post was not specific enough but i did allude to being in the neighborhood and having a deadly force encounter. more specific in re: OP

-say i am in a neighborhood and the school is not within sight but i am within the 1000ft of the property and need to react, shoot and draw my weapon =
any legal repurcussions?

The Gun Free Zone Act as reenacted in 1996 specifically exempts individuals "...possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;" GO-NH's position (and, I think that of NHFC) used to be that if you have a P&R License, you're exempt. They've added weasel words now to their FAQ. Another NH gun organization's opinion is that you're not, based on the (to me) bizarre notion that because some towns have the Mayor or Selectmen issue the license (as opposed to the CoP), that fails the "law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license" portion, and somehow all licenses fail.

Do you own due diligence, and make up your own mind accordingly.

Last edited:
you guys don't miss a thing.[wink] you're right though I would probably go to the hospital and call an ambulance.[smile]

I am also aware of a situation where a local officer was conducting interviews at a scene and noticed the guy they were interviewing was postioning himself in an akward manner and acting nervous. He was not the person of interest but a witness. The cop got suspicous and asked him what he was hiding and when he informed the cop he had a handgun. He was actually "detained" while the officers secured the weapon at their discression.

The problem here isn't that he didn't disclose the weapon, it's that he doesn't know how to concealed carry.

Back
Top Bottom