Catch of the Day!

I was fishing in the back yard and usually catch some perch, smallies and largemouth bass. I was fishing yesterday and saw a lot of bubbles on the pond and fish "fins" breaking the water surface. Got out the bread balls and nailed a beauty. 8 lb test line and 30+ minutes later I got it in. Each time I got it close to shore and said "I think he's tired out"...ZING...........he would take 20-30ft of line then we would do the dance all over again.

l_ba526d076d857a90f0b01c82f88ed65d.jpg

l_aa3b5facfb63ebe8d2fbb734fc1b82d9.jpg

It is a Karp. It didn't weigh it my scale doesn't go higher then 10 lbs and didn't want the fish to die while I searched for my heavy weeight scale. He felt like 20lbs but that may be off a bit. It was just under 30 inches.

nice! How do you fish with bread balls? Squish em up and put em on the hook?

yep. I saw him swim by my dock and switched from crank bait to a hook and just balled up bread, wet it, packed it tight on hook and tossed it out. They sink to the bottom. Karp are like a vacuum, they suck up anything that smells like food.

what did you do with it?

Released it.

How do you tell the sex of bread? [rolleyes]

Nice catch, glad you had a camera handy so you could share your adventure with us.

If it won't sleep with me it's female....[smile]

My friend had time to get my camera from my house while I was fighting it. Hell he had time to bake a cake it took 30-35min to get him in to keep from breaking my line.

Last edited:
Even though they may not be great eating, they are a great fight and can be difficult to bring in on light test line. Nice job!

Duuuuude that's friggin HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice catch.
I've fished Dorothy several times, its loaded with bass. I was told by the landowner who's lot I was fishing from that his nephew ran out of the water screaming that he just saw the biggest fish of his life. I bet you any money that it was a giant carp that he saw that day.

Again Congrats.

That looks like a mirror carp with the weird scales. Somewhat scarce. If it was a butterfly mirrored in an other color than brown/gold, you might want to keep that in a kiddie pool and call up some pet stores. I've caught a few like that in the Charles. People pay up to 400 bucks for those.

Back
Top Bottom